Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > Travel & Tourism Discussion

Travel & Tourism Discussion You are welcome to post questions, stories or experience travelling in Papua New Guinea.

Old 18-02-2004, 07:30 AM

jacquelineQ is on a distinguished road
Talking Finally Coming to PNG!!!!

After years of talking of and dreaming about traveling to PNG, I have finally bitten the bullet, so to speak and decided to travel to PNG with a slightly more cautious (But persuadable!) boyfriend for at least a month (And probably not much more regrettably, what with work commitments....Grrr), leaving the UK around 18/19th July this year. So I am sitting at home, drowining in a sea of guide books trying to work out what to put into an itinery and what to leave out.
So far my itinery includes.

1. A couple of days in Port Moresby - Any accomodation/staying alive advice??

2. Kokoda Trail - Is it as amazing as they say, any trecks better??

3. Two days chilling out in Tufi....?

3. Three days in Lae - Does it warrant three days??

4. Possibly fly to Rabul for 3-4 days - (It was a toss up between Rabul, Kavieng or Madang- Have I made the right choice??

5. Mt Hagen for the Fesival - The festival is on for three days, do most people stay for the whole three days??

Is anyone out there at the sametime or can you offer Gems of wisdom from all of you who bit the bullet earlier and went?!

Please email j.quant@btopenworld.com with anything!??

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 17-03-2004, 11:11 PM

possum is on a distinguished road
In case you have not recieved any reply may I advise that:

1. You organise your trip through a travel agent

This way you will have local up to date knowledge of where to go and what to see as well as insight into 'safety' issues.

Make sure you are on antimalarial prophylaxis during the course of your holiday here.

Money wise you can bring travellers cheques, most cards are accepted however having money available in the banks is often useful as you should not carry wads of cash about.

The banks that are available are Westpac, ANZ and BSP.

BSP is the local bank and has branches through out PNG but can be congested to get to.

Westpac and ANZ are recommended because of their international ties as well as the fact that they have access to credit card facilities and the lines in them are not so long.

The other way to see PNG which is more economical is to stay with friends in PNG if you have any contacts here.

The Kokoda trail walk is not for the faint hearted so do some physical exercise and prepare yourself for that trip if you intend to take it.

The weather is humid and so it will be more tiresome if you are not used to the weather.

Anyway, good luck on your trip and enjoy PNG.
Old 16-04-2004, 09:40 PM

Tiff is on a distinguished road
Hi Jacqui...
1. Port Moresby: Gateway hotel is very good, go straight there from the airport - don't dilly dally! Stay there!
2. Kokoda Trail - Haven't been but have heard great stories.
3. Two days chilling out in Tufi....? never been
4. Three days in Lae - Does it warrant three days??...umm..we tended to go to either Madang or Lae for holidays (we lived in Goroka)...at Lae, try and get over to Salamoa for a snorkel....you'll need to find a tour guide for this. There are huts for hire over there..so you can overnight ..can't remember the details been too long! Lae has a war memorial to look around. I would only book 2 days..depends if you want to relax or not!

4. Possibly fly to Rabul for 3-4 days - (It was a toss up between Rabul, Kavieng or Madang- Have I made the right choice?? I've been to Madang and it's also pretty, but I think you'd want to try the islands as your going to Lae already (Madangs probably more touristy than Lae).

5. Mt Hagen for the Fesival - The festival is on for three days, do most people stay for the whole three days?? I lived in Goroka in the highlands -> its show is fantastic...huge actually and a big culture immersion day! I am not familiar with the Hagen Show.

Is anyone out there at the sametime or can you offer Gems of wisdom from all of you who bit the bullet earlier and went?!
Where possible - travel with a tour guide. I want to go back, but I wouldn't risk travelling on my own...even though I used to live there.

Regards,
Tiffany.

Bear & Toya....Bear as adult
Old 19-04-2004, 01:57 AM

possum is on a distinguished road
I certainly agree with your perspective Tiff.

However while the gateway hotel is good it is located at the airport which means that you will need to organise transport to and from places.

If that is not an issue than you could always stay at the Airport Motel or alternatively at the Crowne Plaza (keeps changing names) in town or at waigani both of which are near major banks and transport (town would be the best as you can walk to most places).

If your on a shoestring budget it helps to shop for prices and if frequent flyer points mean anything to you; you will be happy to know that all these hotels give you points!!

Cheers.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:53 PM

djoe0635 is on a distinguished road
Making such decisions is always a very decent thing to be done and generally for me getting with the best of approach and keeping the right outcome should be appealing with the righteous manner.