Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > Your Story and Experiences

Your Story and Experiences If you have ever visited Papua New Guinea as a traveller, please tell us about your experience.

Old 22-10-2004, 11:48 AM

Jessie is on a distinguished road
The seventh day, we walked from Menari to Naoro. Most of this track was straight and muddy, although it didnít rain on our side last night, the previous night, it must have rained a bit somewhere there, before us. When we were almost to Naoro, we came across this path. It was just indescribable; there were this bunches of bamboo like trees that grew in a straight line. And we had walked through them, it looked so lovely; unfortunately, I didnít take any pictures of that place.

After walking a fair bit of flat trekking, the last thing to do was to climb. The mountain had about three falls peaks. I thought, I was going to die somewhere along that hill, I was so out of breath and exhausted. When I reached the top, I wanted to stop and rest for a while, but then changed my mind and continued walking, until I got to the camp site.

That evening, the kids at Naoro Community School came to our camp site to perform a couple of songs for us; it was sort of like, welcoming us into their land.

That was really nice of them. But before they did that, the children gave each of us bunches of flowers, how sweet; and then they performed. The Polley family gave books and two soccer balls to them; actually they werenít the only ones who received those gifts. The other villages that we camped previously also received the same. Thank you to the Polley family, now they have soccer balls to play with, coloring books and color penciles.

The kids at Nauro, holding up their books and color penciles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 164.jpg (63.4 KB, 203 views)

Last edited by Jessie; 09-11-2004 at 03:33 PM.
Old 22-10-2004, 11:56 AM

Everyone had gone home after the performance. Only us the trekkers sat around telling stories, Scott and Sarita brought out marshmallows, and we had marshmallows on fire. Man! It was very sweet, Iíve never actually tasted marshmallows on fire before, and so it was kind of new to me, unfortunately.

Day eight, our walk was from Naoro to Uberi creek, it was quite a long distance, more mountains to climb, lots of going down hills and slippery with a lot of tree roots growing out from the ground. From where we started climbing, it was hard. Because the ground was strong and the gravels were very slippery, and it was partly dangerous climbing up all the way to Maguli Range, and it was quite high too. But going down, the ground was wet and slippery. Glenn, Rod, Ilyana, James, the other porters and I, came afterwards, while the rest of the group went ahead with Eric and the other food porters. We left James and his pals behind and the four of us went ahead. When we got to the bottom of the mountain, there was a creek, Eric was waiting for us there, actually he was waiting for the whole group to go and then, heíll follow. Ilyana and I took our shoes off to cross the creek; the creek was about knee level. When we got to the other side we wore our shoes and continued on, our porters needed to rest a bit and fetch their water and follow behind us, so Ilyana and I left them and went ahead. I was walking a bit fast, so I was way ahead of Ilyana. Suddenly, I heard footsteps of boots running past me; at first, I thought it was Ilyana, but it wasnít her. She was about twelve feet away from me, when I turned to see. So I though it was just nothing, and I kept walking up. And to my surprise I heard it again. This time it was so clear and so real, I actually felt people running behind me, coming around to my side, and then going in front of me. That was it, I just freaked out, I kept turning around to see if Ilyana was right behind me. I actually had goosebumps around my neck, hands and my legs as well, I mean, how bizarre is that? I was really scared; I just couldnít stop turning around to check, if Ilyana was right behind me. Anyway, when I reached the top, I didnít want to continue on, I stopped and waited for Ilyana to come up, so that weíll walk together. To be honest, I was totally freaked out, but I didnít want to show it. When Ilyana got to were I was, I didnít want to tell her about what I heard, I wanted to tell her when we got to our camp site. On our way down, we were joined by our porters plus another food porter, John. Going down was like forever, you think youíre almost there, no way, dream on, youíre still going down, and doing a lot of turns, at the same time the ground is slippery, and full of tree roots. Along the way, somehow I got my right ankle stuck in one of the roots, and I twisted it. I screamed out so loud, I was on the verge of crying, I felt as though my ankle bone just broke, I couldnít even feel my leg. John asked if I was okay, and I said yes, but the truth was, I wasnít okay at all. I just didnít want my leg to hold me back, so I kept walking, actually I was limping. I think that was the biggest limp Iíve ever done in my life. John, Glenn and Rod knew I wasnít okay, but they didnít say anything, because I told them that I was okay and I can walk. When we got to Ofi creek, everyone had already eaten lunch. Ilyana and I joined in; we didnít feel like eating our usual lunch, so Eric boiled noodles for us to eat. Tom (jnr) and Robert were really nice, they checked on us to see if we were okay, and even told us that there was still enough food for us to go eat. Ilyana and I said,Ē thank youĒ. We ate ours and then waited for James and the rest to join in.

Having lunch at Ofi Creek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 199.jpg (62.9 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by Jessie; 26-10-2004 at 12:50 PM.
Old 22-10-2004, 12:02 PM

After they came and ate their share, we all started walking again. We crossed Ofi creek about sixteen times, before we started climbing Imita ridge. The souls of both my feetís were numb, because I walked with my shoes still on, crossing the creek. Imita ridge was very steep and kind of dangerous and scary just looking down. My whole body was weak, and I was so exhausted, after walking a very long distance. I was walking behind Tom Snr and Robert. Along the way, I ran out of water, but, I didnít want to stop and fetch my water to drink, because I didnít want to lose sight of both guys. That was really stupid of me, because my whole body was dehydrated and I was so thirsty, but I didnít want to stop, I kept going until I reached the top to sit and rest for a while; Scott asked me how I was feeling, and I told him that I was exhausted. When Ilyana came up with Eric, I asked her for some water, and to my relieve she gave me some.

The rest was over now, and we had to walk down to our camp site, which was roughly about an hour and a half. The way ahead of us was very slippery and lot of turns to maneuver. I think I twisted my right ankle twice going down. It was getting late, but we managed to reach our camp sight with enough time to go take a quick bath in the creek. There was also another group of trekkers from a different trekking company there too, so we shared the same camping area. The whether wasnít too good, we had showers, and the whole place was wet. Not to mention, leech, I truly dislike those parasites, I canít even stand them; they just give me the creeps. I had about four to five of them on my feet, urÖurÖur. I tried to pull them off and they just couldnít even come off, they were like magnet stucked on my feet. I couldnít stop screaming and saying, ďTake it out!!Ē. Glenn had to take every one of them out off my feet. Steven thought that I was Ilyana and told her to keep the noise down. Poor, Ilyana had to get my blame.

The next morning, I walked over to Steven while helping Rod fold our tent, I apologized to him. He smiled and said, ďna thatís okay, I was just jokingď.

Ilyana and I at Uberi, last day of walk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 219.jpg (61.8 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by Jessie; 22-10-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 22-10-2004, 12:05 PM

Last day of our walk and we are back in Port Moresby. Ilyana and I decided to walk behind with Eric, Glenn and Rod and let the others go ahead. The track was mostly descending until we reached Goldie River, the last river to actually cross. Everyone crossed bare footed, and went to the other side and started wearing their shoes. James, Ilyana, Eric and I washed and played pass in the river, before crossing over. With our wet clothes, we walked to Owers Conner, about 15 minutes walk. When we got to the top, the other trekkers clapped for us, man! It was such a great feeling.

Ilyana and I up at Owers Conner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 232.jpg (95.4 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by Jessie; 25-10-2004 at 01:30 PM.
Old 22-10-2004, 12:08 PM

While we were there, Eric radioed Russell at the base, and told him that we all arrived at Owers Conner. Russell informed Eric that he had already arranged for our pick up transport and they were on their way up to pick us up. Because the road to Owers Conner was not good, they wanted us to walk out to Vesilogo where the road is reasonable condition. All the other trekkers plus some porters went ahead. Sarita, Michaela and I came afterwards with the other porters who followed behind us. The road to Vesilogo was mostly straight, well off course itís a road, only it had a lot of potholes or should I say deep drains, because the holes were quite very deep, not even a truck would go in. The road itself was like a snake, so many turns to do, I just got so sick of it, so did Sarita and Michaela. At the same time my ankle was giving me a really hard time, but I managed to get to Vesilogo. Three minutes after we arrived, our pick up transport arrived. Mahn! By then, I was already starving and thirsty, Russell brought some refreshments with him and that settled everything.

The Group, Owers Conner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 240.jpg (76.3 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by Jessie; 26-10-2004 at 12:43 PM.
Old 22-10-2004, 12:25 PM

We then went to Bomana War Cemetery, to have a last look around before we headed back to our homes and hotels, to prepare ourselves for the presentation of our certificates at Gateway Hotel that evening. This was the end, of my trek.

To top it all up, that was one of the best experience of my life. I wouldn’t have done it without the help of my personal porter, Rod, the guide, and the rest of the other porters, you guys were fantastic. Thank you so much for everything. And also to my fellow trek members, you guys were, just too good. Thank you very much, for the support, the help, and above all, friends and part of my life.

Kokoda Trail, hasn’t only made me meet new lovely people, but has taught me so much about life. Though it was tough, it has taught me how to be strong, independent and also to have faith in myself.

Receiving my Certificate at Gateway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0516.jpg (79.2 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by Jessie; 25-10-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old 18-02-2006, 04:18 PM

jason kissell is on a distinguished road
Hi, my name is jason.
I was wondering if you are related to Indap Garap whose farther was a doctor in lae.
I went to bulae with Indap and would like to say hi to him.
Can you help?
p.s i enjoyed your story.

Last edited by Jessie; 20-02-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old 20-02-2006, 10:42 AM

Hi Jason,

its nice to hear from a long time friend of a brother. Yes i am Indap's cousin. Indap left for Australia late last year and is currently working in Melbourn. I dont know any of his contact details, but will ask one of our aunt if she has his email address. Will send it to you through private message if i get it.

PS: Thank you

cheers...........Jessie
Old 28-04-2006, 12:12 AM

tomthepom is on a distinguished road
Hi jessie. The photos and story are incredible. I hope to go back to PNG this year and maybe one day I'll brave the Trail too.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:36 PM

djoe0635 is on a distinguished road
A place which is worth it and has to be spent a quality time along with the other activities, the way it all goes has to be a lot with the doings in it and that's the point to me which goes a long way and works in it for sure.