Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > Your Story and Experiences

Your Story and Experiences If you have ever visited Papua New Guinea as a traveller, please tell us about your experience.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-10-2004, 10:41 AM

Jessie is on a distinguished road
The journey of a life time

The journey of a life time

My story…….. By Jessie Garap

It never occurred to me that one day I would really walk the infamous Kokoda Trail. I mean, i never even dreamed of it. For me, this was something new, something i would tressure, an experience of a life time.

My track adventure began on the 27th of June 2004. Our group Trek 22, was set to leave Port Moresby for Kokoda, in the early hours of Sunday morning. During that morning time, it was raining heavily, and i mean big heavy rain drops and the whole Port Moresby city was covered with dark clouds. And it was unusual too, coz mostly at this time of the year, we don't get such heavy rain, so definitely it was an unexpected visit I should say, well nature has it's own way of turning up when you least expect it too, so can't say nothing about it.

My younger sister Ilyana and i were delayed twice for our flight to Kokoda, while the rest of the group traveled ahead of us, (what a pity). But eventually we left Port Moresby, which was gooood. Because, I was really looking forward to going since the day I got the news that I was going to walk the Kokoda trail.

It was around 1:45pm that afternoon we took off and the dark clouds above us were just clearing off letting our plane move slowly through, it was pretty much a smooth ride, except for my ears hurt so bad. Less than 25 minutes, and our plane landed at Kokoda air strip. Earlier that morning we were briefed by our trek guide Eric Uwea, who left with the rest of the group on the first flight. He told us that as soon as the plane touches the ground, we would meet up with our personal porters, Glen Henson and Rod Ori.

And that was exactly what happened, as soon as we got out of the plane, they were there and we introduced ourselves and sorted out our stuff and started walking from there. Not only did we meet with our porters, but a couple of boys from the station as well. They were all very nice; the boys sang, cracked jokes and laughed along the way, it was nice being around them.

Ilyana and I at the Jackson's Airport, Port Moresby
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0333.jpg (91.6 KB, 473 views)

Last edited by Jessie; 26-07-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals