Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > The Journey to Paradise > Lae and The Morobe Province

Old 29-09-2005, 12:08 PM

donfriel is on a distinguished road
Now this is good stuff. Just stumbled across these pics and had a good ol smile. Can you tell us where you put the other photos..
cheers
Old 15-03-2006, 08:52 PM

Libby Jack is on a distinguished road
Hi. My two sons and I are coming to New Guinea in September. I would like to come to Salamaua as my father helped keep the school in the village going during the early 70's. He was stationed at Igam Barracks and the chief at that time even gave him a block of land but we were transferred back before the house was finished. I teach in tasmania and would like to volunteer as a teacher for a few days in the village school. Is this possible? Any other news about accomodation, ie could we stay in the village? etc would be appreciated.

I tried to send a photo of the block in 1973 but I don't think it attached itself. Libby Jack (Waters)
Old 17-01-2011, 03:05 AM

nikole95 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post
The New Guinea Volunteer Rifles and survivors of the 2/22nd Battalion from Rabaul destroyed all military supplies and withdraw into the hinterland where they observed the Japanese build-up.

In May, Kanga Force, which included the 2/5th Independent Company, was airlifted into Wau to operate as a guerrilla force against the Japanese in the Markham Valley.

On June 29, Kanga Force raided Salamaua inflicting heavy casualties and capturing the first Japanese equipment and documents taken by the Australian Army.

On August 31, a strong Japanese group arrived at Mubo but with the Japanese on the offensive along the Kokoda Trail and at Milne Bay, reinforcements were not available for Kanga Force until October when 2/7th Independent Company joined.

The 3rd Australian Division slowly fought its way towards Salamaua in a series of exacting and grim battles from April to August 1943 in a campaign largely overshadowed by the Papuan campaign the preceded it and by the capture of Lae that followed.

[color=sea-green]Komiatum, in the mountains : [/color]
The Salamaua campaign was designed to screen the preparations for the Lae offensive and to act as a magnet to draw reinforcements from Lae to Salamaua.

The capture of Lae, the centre of the Japanese defensive line in New Guinea, was the allied target after the defeat of the Japanese in Papua.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:59 AM

Jerry.S.Kilamu is on a distinguished road
Im very proud to have my beautiful MOROBE being expoesd from different views and wish to do more for our better furture and the raputation of Business and Tourism.

Thanks to Morobe.
Old 21-09-2016, 06:46 PM

djoe0635 is on a distinguished road
Looks interesting and because participating in such things leaves an impact for a regular traveler. Such things should certainly not be ignored it carries the maximum. Those that have the craze for boating would love to have it functional.