Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Port Moresby

Old 17-05-2005, 11:32 PM

ascotsix is on a distinguished road
Question Moving to Port Moresby

Hi to all,
This site is fantastic! love your work!!!!

I have a job offer that will bring me over to Port Moresby but was wondering about the security issues that we keep hearing about here in Australia!
I dont know for sure, speak to the people who live there!!

Apart from the obvious excitment of the offer and the move, i was hoping some one can give me some assurances?
How accurate is the Australian consulates advice on Port Moresby?
How safe is it really over there?

I would really appreciate some sound help and advice
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 18-05-2005, 07:09 PM

Mege Anio is on a distinguished road
Hi there

Where are leaving from. Australia?

Mege Anio
Old 19-05-2005, 03:47 PM

ascotsix is on a distinguished road
Moving up from Melbourne, big change !!
Old 19-05-2005, 04:12 PM

Mege Anio is on a distinguished road
I think its important to be clear there are no guarantees or assurances in relation to safety when living in Port Moresby.

There is a law and order issue, and what will be very clear as soon as you get off the plane is that many of the Port Moresby population have a very hard time of just scraping together a livelihood.

I think it is important to interact with as many of the Port Moresby locals which may be through your work or social situation.

Travel out of Port Moresby to the provinces, amazing scenery and people to be experienced.

Be alert and listen to your instincts.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:48 AM

TonyDragons1 is on a distinguished road
Firstly let me make it clear that the following opinion is mine and mine only.

Like a lot of expats I too was absolutely scared of the law and order issue in POM. After going up there for a "look/see"; its really clear that there is a real and present danger, not just for expats - ( who clearly are targeted because they have money) ; but for locals as well. I don't want to put anyone off going to PNG. You just have to go there and see for yourself before you could make up your own mind. Think of living in POM as having to travel from one Oasis to another. Home security and work security is fine. The problem is the travel in between is not secure (in POM). Upon arrival you will immeadiately notice the rubbish and graffiti and then the Razor wire as you drive out of the airport, the smell will also be noticeable. Its a developing nation with a very low per capita income, with many people just subsitsting from day to day could you possibly expect to see nicely manicured lawns?. Its all about priority. Most crime is oportunistic, if your doing the wrong thing at the wrong time you can become a target. i.e. driving around with your window down. Not parking in a clearly visible location, driving through the winding backroads at night. Its not hard to do the right thing which greatly reduces the risks involved.

As many others have said, its the people that you meet which make the place.
Old 26-11-2015, 06:52 PM

Andrew99 is on a distinguished road
PNG - I was born there

I was born in PNG and lived there before moving to Australia in 1981. Australia is run by the white man, PNG is run by the black man. There are far less laws in PNG than in Australia.
People living in PNG are free. Westerners say PNG is dangerous, have a look on how dangerous the western world is. There are no hard drugs in PNG, so there very little crime associated with drugs. PNG does not like to be told what to do by the west. When I was living there - we lived in government house and paid no rent and no rates. We had a 9 foot barbed-wire fence around the house. We never had any invasions. Other neighbors had no fence - they never had a problem with home invasions.