Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Port Moresby

Old 21-07-2007, 06:19 AM

kryskifamily is on a distinguished road
Moving to Madang

Hi everyone, my name is Amy and i am currently living in Canada... only a 20 hour plane ride from there!! However, we are looking at moving to Madang in the next month or two and don't know what to think. I am extremely excited about the possibility of the move but kinda freaked out about it too. We woud be moving my husband, myself and my 8 month old son! Not only would it be huge lifestyle change but economic and everything else you can think of. My husband has travelled a lot and i live in mexico for 3 year so (not that its the same) but feel as though if i loved living there i am up for anything. I guess our main concern is the safety of our family. I don't know if there are many white people there but apparently after talking to some people i might be one of the youngest white females there and could be dangerous??? I odn't know how true this is? Anyways i just want to know everyones opinion on moving to Madang and if it is a wise choice? I want to move there but am more worried for my son. Please write me back! Thanks so much
Amy
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 23-07-2007, 05:06 AM

liksalian is on a distinguished road
Hi there,
Theres no need to be frightened or anything. Madang is a beautiful place. The people are friendly and pretty cool too. i think as a young family its a new experience in the new culture and am sure you'll enjoy every bit of it. Hey Amy, there are heaps of white people hear-Australians, Germans and Asians too - Indonesians, Chinese, Malaysians, and the list goes on. I think you will feel comfortable here. The place is humid and stuff but am not going to talk about it coz maybe you might have researched it on the net already. Anyway, are you guys moving there coz of the mine thingy? (Ramu Nickel)! Coz Mainly Canadians who come to PNG are mainly engineers and such? Madang is the BEST choice and am glad you made it!!! Enjoy your stay there!!!
Old 23-07-2007, 11:03 AM

Everything that i have heard so far has been very positive about Madang. I am really excited to have this opportunity. We still haven't made a decision to move not... still figuring out if its the best thing to do!!! I have done some research and i think PNG seems like a wonderful place, obviously nothing like Canada!!!! Which is awesome. We aren't moving there because of the mine? Not sure what that is about, just know some pople who own a lot of businesses down there and want some help managing it and we offereed to consider it! Would be an experience of a lifetime and really hope we make the move. If anyone has anything else to say we would be really excited to hear about it. THe more info i can get the easier it is to persuuid my husband hehehe! Thanks again for message!!!
Old 24-07-2007, 01:18 PM

kekeni 42 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Moving to Madang

hi there friend,i come from PNG(PORT MORESBY) i now live in australia for many years and i still go back home for holidays. Madang is what most PNG people call beautifull Madang. It's a wonderfull place and like the guy said, there are lots of people from all walks of life so there's nothing to worry about.
makes friends and get to know the locals there. there are also lots of things to do, diving is one of the best thing to look at if you & your husband are interesting in diving. we do have the best coral seas & the markets are good lots of fresh veges & arts & crafts are must see.
do worry you will be save because you already know someone there.
so enjoy yourself if you do go there.
Old 25-07-2007, 04:46 AM

I am so happy that people are responding to this message. I guess if you don't have the chance to fly down there it makes it harder. All you have is the internet to tell you what its like. Generally everything they say is good about it. I guess just to take extra precautions, not to go out at night if you don't have to etc! I am really looking forward to the experience, i have heard from many people that it is an amazing country and city.
Old 25-07-2007, 09:20 PM

katopilla is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I lived in madang, met and married my husband there also, it is so beautiful and one of the safest places to be in png(IMO) It would be a wonderful life story for you baby to have. There is a golf club,fishing club Madang hash house harriers and heaps more.. just pm me if you want and ill go on and on some more.

ps, I plan on taking my 3 kids back there soon foe another holiday,thats how good it is.