Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 15-06-2015, 11:35 AM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
In DWMís The Official Guide to the 2013 Series, Andrew Pixley in his thanks gave a special mention to everyone involved in The Crimson Horror as he described it ďas one of my favourite pieces of television ever: after decades of waiting for a Victorian version of The Avengers, Doctor Who serves one up to me with all the style and madness that I could ever have wished for.Ē

Pixley feeling The Crimson Horror to be like the Victorian version of The Avengers had no doubt been helped by the presence of Diana Rigg who had been Emma Peel in The Avengers not to mention the Doctor sporting a bowler hat which felt like he was emulating John Steed, Emma Peelís partner in The Avengers.
Old 15-06-2015, 06:40 PM

November Five:
Season 3, Episode 6.
The episode title refers to Guy Fawkes Day and the episode itself did not quite air on that particular date as it was aired three days earlier on November 2 1963.
Intriguing that it began with a winner of a by-election being killed after he was declared the winner marking the end of the shortest political career ever.
This led to Steed to endorse Cathy to run in the new by-election but they are not serious about it as it is part of their investigation on the assassination of the previous winner.
This episode makes for a very good political thriller as it looks into the machinations of British politics.
November Five guest stars David Langton as an MP and he would later play another MP in Upstairs, Downstairs.
In fact this episode was directed by Bill Bain who would reunite with Langton on Upstairs, Downstairs as Bain directed several episodes of that series.
Old 16-06-2015, 06:16 PM

The Gilded Cage:
Season 3, Episode 7.
Steed and Cathy planned a gold robbery by enlisting the resources of JP Spagge (Patrick Magee, which as one can see has a similar name to Patrick Macnee).
This was done in order to get Spagge, a criminal mastermind, arrested.
This episode was originally broadcast on November 9 1963 and Cathy Gale is played by Honor Blackman.
This was Honor Blackmanís last season on The Avengers and she left the series to be in Goldfinger playing Pussy Galore.
Goldfinger was released in September 1964 and remarkably enough that too involved a gold robbery.
The gold robbery in Goldfinger took place at Fort Knox and while Fort Knox is not in The Gilded Cage it did however got mentioned in it.
Whether the gold robbery plotline in Goldfinger is a coincidence, The Gilded Cage is a very good episode in showing the heist and the plan to get Spagge arrested.
Old 19-06-2015, 01:26 PM

Second Sight:
Season 3, Episode 8.
Didnít really got a handle on this episode and why Marten Halvarssen (John Carson) was not the villain.
Peter Bowles however did make a pretty good villain here even if his motives are not that clear to me.
Old 20-06-2015, 01:20 PM

The Medicine Men:
Season 3, Episode 9.
Coincidentally Sean Connery who played the villain Sir August de Wynter in the 1998 The Avengers movie was the unrelated Medicine Man in 1992.
Medicine Men is another way to describe doctors and this episode written by Malcolm Hulke was originally broadcast on November 23 1963 exactly the same day of some show called Doctor Who made its debut and Doctor Who & The Avengers were both created by Sydney Newman.
Quite nice seeing Cathy in a Turkish bath.
Not bad plotline about artificial products, knock-offs of the real thing.
Oh my what a revelation of what those Arabic words meant as that really put a spanner in the works.
Old 23-06-2015, 05:22 PM

The Grandeur That Was Rome:
Season 3, Episode 10.
The villain here is the leader of the World Empire Party and aims to recreate the world in the shape of the Roman Empire.
Calling himself Caesar, he undertakes this purpose by releasing deadly diseases.
Like 3.7 The Gilded Cage, The Grandeur That Was Rome has a coincidence with the then upcoming Goldfinger which Honor Blackman would leave The Avengers for.
In this case is that of the lead character pretending to have escaped from his cell but in actual fact was still in it.
Definitely not wise for Caesar to name his chief lieutenant as Brutus as this Brutus killed this Caesar just like what happened to the originals.
Old 24-06-2015, 12:51 PM

The Golden Fleece:
Season 3, Episode 11.
Guest stars Tenniel Evans and Michael Hawkins and they narrowly missed each other in Doctor Who when the former was in Carnival of Monsters and the next story Frontier In Space guest starred the latter.
Also a good guest stint by Warren Mitchell in a straight role.
The episode is definitely about gold but not exactly a fleece.
Fun when Steed and Cathy had a pillow fight.
A bit slow in places and the fact that the villains of this episode are not really villains did present a dilemma to Steed and Cathy.
Old 25-06-2015, 03:36 PM

Donít Look Behind You:
Season 3, Episode 12.
A Cathy Gale episode that was later remade as the Emma Peel episode The Joker.
I saw The Joker almost two decades ago not long after I left a high school run by a terrible principal called Geoff McNeil.
I remember The Joker being a very thrilling episode and the same episode can be said about Donít Look Behind You.
Just like The Joker, Steed has a limited appearance in Donít Look Behind You and Honor Blackman as Cathy did superbly having this episode mostly on her own.
She went through this episode magnificently through the scares to the ultimate reveal of the villain.
Old 26-06-2015, 12:28 PM

Patrick Macnee has passed away.

Born on February 6 1922, Patrick Macnee is well known for John Steed in The Avengers (1961-69), a role he reprised for The New Avengers (1976-77).
In a sad coincidence he passed away several weeks after I was able to resume viewing of The Avengers episodes I have not seen before after a lengthy period.

His other work included Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Twilight Zone, Sherlock Holmes In New York (as Dr Watson), the original Battlestar Galactica, The Howling, The Return of the Man From U.N.C.L.E.: The Fifteen Years Later Affair, A View To Kill, three Christopher Lee Sherlock Holmes TV movies in which Macnee was again Dr Watson, Around The Round In 80 Days (1989), Thunder In Paradise, The Hound of London (a Sherlock Holmes movie in which Macnee finally gets to be Holmes, Diagnosis Murder, NightMan & Spy Game TV series.

With regards to his above work Sherlock Holmes In New York & A View To A Kill saw Macnee paired off with Roger Moore as Holmes and James respectively.
The curious aspect of the casting of Macnee and Moore together in these films is that Moore was The Saint in the 1960s, a show which ran concurrently with The Avengers. So those films were a case of John Steed and Simon Templar working together.

Macnee was one actor who never appeared in Doctor Who but I do remember at one time in the 1990s I browsed through his autobiography in a bookshop in which he mentioned The Avengers creator Sydney Newman had subsequently created Doctor Who.
Curiously enough while it is not exactly Doctor Who, his last work according to IMDb is a short film called The Low Budget Time Machine.

He died on June 25 2015 at the age of 93.
Old 27-06-2015, 05:07 AM

Death A La Carte:
Season 3, Episode 13.
Steed and Cathy are on the case of an Emir whose life is being threatened with Steed posing as a chef and Cathy as a social planner.
I donít watch MasterChef so I would not presume whether Steedís take as a chef is an alternative to watching MasterChef but was very good in posing as one.
Intriguing the political machinations that was going on here with the Emir.
Thrilling when Steed had to walk over the edge as part of getting out the predicament that he and Cathy were in.
The Emir does die here but perhaps surprising on the revelation for the cause of death.

This is the first episode that I saw since learning of the passing of Patrick Macnee.

So:
In Memory of Patrick Macnee
1922-2015.