Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 28-04-2020, 02:14 AM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
The Terror Of The Umpty Ums:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwh...7-2f509fe2a117

Written by former showrunner Steven Moffat.
As this is with the current Thirteenth Doctor, Moffat has therefore written for all the NuWho Doctors so far.
It seems that Moffat's predecessor Russell T. Davies may have inadvertently started a tradition when he left at the same time with David Tennant.
Davies had written the Tennant swansong The End of Time which after the regeneration saw the brief appearance at the end by Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor.
Davies now the former showrunner later got to write for the Eleventh Doctor in The Sarah Jane Adventures story The Death of the Doctor.
Moffat left at the same time with Peter Capaldi and wrote the Capaldi swansong Twice Upon A Time with a brief appearance at the end by the newly regenerated Thirteenth Doctor.
Now Moffat has written for the Thirteenth Doctor with The Terror Of The Umpty Ums.
This makes me wonder that if current showrunner Chris Chibnall leaves at the same time with Jodie Whittaker or a successor of hers, would Chibnall, by then a former showrunner, eventually write a story for this new Doctor in whatever form.
In Terror Of The Umpty Ums reference has been made to Villengard. Villengard was first mentioned in The Doctor Dances and then seen in Twice Upon A Time, both of which were written by Moffat.
The Terror Of The Umpty Ums centres on Karpagnon, a Deathborg 400 from the said Villengard when he encounters the Doctor.
Quite unusual how this encounter was made and the twists that came was certainly unexpected as well as the explanation what the Umpty Ums are.
Quite a neat little story by Moffat.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:55 AM

Sil and the Devil Seeds of Arodor Episode 2:
Sil's attempted escape got foiled when the guards refused to accept his bribe.
He is therefore back on trial and harrowing when Larnier produced her own son as a witness against Sil as he is a victim of the said Devil Seeds distributed by Sil.
However that wasn't the worse for Sil as this episode ends with the entrance of Mistress Na played by Ace actress Sophie Aldred.

Sil previously met Mistress Na in the Big Finish story Antidote to Oblivion also written by Philip Martin but she was played there by Mandy Weston.

Episode 2 also saw the entrance in the story by Lord Kiv and what a surprise how Christopher Ryan reprised him.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:32 PM

Doctor Who or Star Wars quiz:

https://www.doctorwho.tv/games/quizz...RBOijKnswzntbQ

Got 6/7 but the one I got wrong is NOT about Darth Vader.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:39 PM

TV WEEK of May 9-15 2020 has an interview with Hard Quiz host Tom Gleeson as he talks about "The TV shows that Made Me" and Doctor Who is one of three shows that he talks about. the others being The A-Team & Insiders.

On Doctor Who, he said:
"Tom Baker was always my favourite Doctor from the earlier days of the program. Actually, I have a long, coloured scarf that someone knitted me as a present because they knew I was a Doctor Who fan. Back in the '90s, I was in a band and we used to play a cover of the Doctor Who theme - it always went down well. I haven't really caught up with the new series - I don't know why. But then I'm an adult now, so maybe I grew out of it, unlike some of my contemporaries."

This is accompanied by this picture of Tom Baker and a Cyberman:
tinyurl.com/y8x3xnl9
Old 07-05-2020, 01:35 AM

The Paternoster Gang: Heritage 1: The Cars That Ate London!:
The Cars That Ate London! is the opener of Heritage 1 featuring The Paternoster Gang.
Written by Jonathan Morris.
The episode title is a play on the movie The Cars That Ate Paris.
The Paternoster Gang had often been mooted for their own TV spin-off series but opportunities for such a spin-off got preempted by Class and with Steven Moffat, who created the Gang, having departed as Doctor Who showrunner.
It seemed always inevitable that the spin-off would lead them to Big Finish instead.

The Cars That Ate London! is a fun way to start the Gang's own series and it was shocking the revelation that the said car can transformed!

Admittedly a Transformers rip-off but I don't mind that at all as I had fun with this episode.

Reference has been made to Tesla and Edison and this was way before these two would turn up in Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:02 AM

Rory’s Story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVqW...P93d_NXP2FUj4U

Interesting story that Rory tells in 1946.

Coincidentally I had just rewatched the end of The Angels Take Manhattan when I saw this.

Due to being in love with her I was delighted to hear my wife Karen Gillan's voice as Amy in the end.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:35 AM

UNIT: Silenced: Square One:
Second episode of Silenced.
Reminded by TARDIS Wiki afterwards that Square One is also the name of the second episode of Gallifrey.
Written by John Dorney.
Fun moment when Kate, was in her PJs. Would have loved to have seen that.
Funny when Kate, Osgood and Sam were looking at the Silent on the CCTV with the number of times that Sam says that it is an ugly blighter before Kate started forgetting as well.
Shared Osgood's sentiment that this was going to be a long day.
At one point Osgood says "could have been silenced" and she had no idea that she just said the name of their new foes.
As well as investigating the Silence this also presents Kenneth LeBlanc, a controversial would be politician who aims to become Prime Minister.
LeBlanc is a polarising figure and feels like a predecessor of Vivienne Rook from Years and Years.
Osgood figures that the Silence is using subliminal messages in LeBlanc's ads that makes people wanting to vote for him.
Osgood says that this reminded her of a Columbo episode which dealt with that very premise and that Robert Culp was the killer.
Kate then says isn't Culp always the killer.
Culp did four episodes of Columbo, each as different characters and the episode that got referenced here is Double Exposure.
The climax with Square One came when the Prime Minister resigns and called an election.
It seemed that Britain in the Whoniverse the Prime Minister can call an election on his or her own.
In real-life Britain however it has fixed term elections and there are two ways an early election can be called.
One is if it gets approved by two-thirds of MPs.
The other is if the government loses a no confidence vote.
The Prime Minister in Square One resigned and called an early poll due to falling approval ratings and a no confidence vote she was expected to lose.
If Whoniverse Britain had fixed term elections and the same mechanisms for an early election, then the government still needed to lose the no confidence vote so that the legality of an early election had been established.
The Prime Minister in Square One called an early election before that vote could be taken as she conceded that her defeat in that vote was a foregone conclusion.
In reaction to the early election, LeBlanc says about the silent majority which ends this episode.
Not only is that another reference to the Silence before anyone here knew their name but Silent Majority is also the name of the next episode.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:59 PM

The Faction Paradox Protocols: The Eleven Day Empire:
The Eleven Day Empire is the first episode of The Faction Paradox Protocols.
Enjoyable start to The Faction Paradox Protocols starring Suzanne Proctor as Cousin Justine.
Not bad the Sontarans being involved with this.
Also not bad the political machinations that is involved with the presentation of Parliament.
Quite a cliffhanger by the scream that Justine gives.
Old 19-05-2020, 03:18 AM

The Marvel Super Hero Adventures episode Bend, Don't Break had Spidey and Ghost-Spider in pursuit of Rhino.

Rhino was stopped when Ghost-Spider blinded him making him to say, "Hey who turn out the lights".

This made me think of Proper Dave saying those same words in the Library in Silence In The Library/Forest of the Dead.

It does not seem to be a coincidence because the reason why Spidey and Ghost-Spider were chasing Rhino is because he stole a book from a library!

Bend, Don’t Break is an episode of Marvel Super Hero Adventures just as Silence In The Library/Forest of the Dead is a story of David Tennant's third season as the Doctor.

Something that is definitely coincidental is after seeing the Marvel Super Hero Adventures episode, I finished the antepenultimate episode of Grey's Anatomy season 16, Love of My Life which had Maggie (Kelly McCreary) asking the opposite about lights as she asked for them to be turned on.
Old 19-05-2020, 06:04 PM

Hard Quiz on Wednesday May 6 2020 had for Tom's round the subject of angels.

One of the questions was

"The Weeping Angels are known to terrorise the heroes of which television series?

A. Westworld

B. Lost

C. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

D. Doctor Who"

Carmen (who was there for her subject of Gossip Girl) and Nelson (Tiger Woods) correctly answered D while Chris (Jack the Ripper) and Branwell (Julia Gillard) went for C.

There was a big cheer when Tom revealed that D is the correct answer.

Also during this Hard Quiz was a question about Laurel and Hardy and in the final round George Bernard Shaw was brought up.

The one thing Weeping Angels, Laurel and Hardy and Shaw all have in common is my wife Karen Gillan.

As Amy, my wife Karen met Weeping Angels in The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, The God Complex, the mini-episode Good as Gold and in her swansong The Angels Take Manhattan.

The Angels and my wife Karen as Amy would have separate cameos in The Time of the Doctor.

In The Impossible Astronaut, my wife Karen as Amy saw the Laurel and Hardy movie Flying Deuces.

Shaw had written Pygmalion which eventually became the inspiration for the short-lived Selfie starring a post-Doctor Who Karen.