Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Health Issues

Old 01-08-2007, 03:57 PM

Jaybee is on a distinguished road
Aids what can we do?

What is the most effective to dealing with this growing problem?
How can we bring the inffection rate down?

the problem lies within the human being....
How do we change dangerous behavioural patterns?
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 17-08-2007, 03:19 PM

meriasples is on a distinguished road
Very Big Q..that! We have to be open minded about the issues that give rise to this health problem..albeit, financial, social, ..more or less it is a social issue...pre-teen kids should be educated about sex and the risks NOW whence once this was a taboo subject..we need to educate the school age teenagers now...likewise we need to educate those at the grass roots level right up to the elites of the society..instil some form of fear /discipline..I for one believe that the FEAR of the LORD GOD in each individual is one way of effecting behavioural change in that human being....just my thoughts...
Old 16-10-2009, 12:51 AM

Shyian Defort is on a distinguished road
Unhappy AIDS what can we do?

One of the Millenium Development Goals is...ALLEVIATE POVERTY

AIDS is caused by POVERTY and I whole heartedly believe that is poverty is taken out our daily equation in PNG the current exponential trend of AIDS will decline.

Good luck
SD
Old 16-10-2009, 01:05 AM

Shyian Defort is on a distinguished road
Unhappy AIDS what can we do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph08 View Post
I found a very useful and informative write up regarding preventing AIDS. If you are really interested to know what are these click here

What you can find from that link is summarized here.

six promising approaches for the prevention of HIV: male circumcision; cervical barriers such as diaphragms; HIV "prevention pills"; suppression of herpes, which raises the risk of contracting HIV threefold; topical microbicides; and HIV vaccines.
I read with interest the article. There are some promising approaches for minimising the risk of transmission.

As stated in the article, male circumcision reduces the risk of contracting the HIV virus by 60% as compared to uncircumcised males. My question is...Is there any risk reduction from a circumcised male to a female transmission? If so how much and could you refer me to some more articles.

SD
Old 19-11-2009, 01:24 AM

possum is on a distinguished road
Risk of HIV transmission

Shayne I would not take the WebMD article too seriously as the quotes seem to rely on quotes but no reference to written article which would hold up to scrutiny.

The risk of transmission of HIV is related to viral load in the infected person and the mode of contact between the infected person and the recipient.

Transmission by direct blood innoculation (needlestick) is about 0.6 % and with receptive/insertive ******l intercourse about 0.1%.

This is assuming the patient is known to be HIV positive.

If you apply this to the general population then you need to multiply the risk above with the point prevalence of HIV in that community (obviously higher in the gay community ir IV drug users however in PNG you will need to check the latest health stats).

As an example if the population prevalence of HIV is 1% (PNG estimate) then the risk of HIV transmission with a casual sexual contact would be 0.1 (risk) x 0.01 (prevalence) = 0.001 (ie 1 in 100 000).

(See ANCHARD Bulletin No29 Sept 2001)

Your best protection - abstinence; faithfulness to one partner; use of condom; avoid body fluid contacts. Everything else is less likely to work.

Post exposure prophylaxis is available but avoiding exposure in the first instance is best.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:13 PM

borisclark is on a distinguished road
Awareness

Hello, I'm a newbie. Methinks, "Precaution is better than cure" so I would like to end this in three sentences have patience, be faithful to your partner and always use condoms.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:20 PM

Alec is on a distinguished road
Dr. Goulet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyian Defort View Post
One of the Millenium Development Goals is...ALLEVIATE POVERTY

AIDS is caused by POVERTY and I whole heartedly believe that is poverty is taken out our daily equation in PNG the current exponential trend of AIDS will decline.

Good luck
SD
Poverty is one of the causes of the transmission of HIV. Poor people are usually not educated about the methods of prevention of contracting AIDS. AIDS could be dealt with only by ensuring that precautionary measures are taken in order to prevent and control the transmission of this deadly virus. Here are some of them:

-Avoid promiscuous sexual habits.
-Condoms reduce the risk of the transmission of AIDS.
-Keep away from drugs, since drug addicts tend to share needles that are infected. This is another way of getting AIDS.
-Keep away from sharing instruments like razors or toothbrushes that are likely to contaminate the skin or blood.
-Make sure that you use sterilized needles for acupuncture, piercing, etc.

Last edited by Alec; 20-06-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-06-2011, 02:11 PM

meriasples is on a distinguished road
What can we do with the AIDS problem when educated but unemployed women ply their bodies for sex in exchange for cash, drink, and a night at one of the hotel rooms of Port Moresby. Not to mention the glorious lights given by poker machines and their promise of quick pay outs for the night. Some women dont care if they sleep with married man. All they want is booze and money. The woman knows that the man is married but she goes ahead and sells her body. How does one deal with preventing that fromm happening? Its happening, and will continue to happen.AIDS or not!