Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > Travel & Tourism Discussion

Travel & Tourism Discussion You are welcome to post questions, stories or experience travelling in Papua New Guinea.

Old 27-04-2001, 09:16 AM

mellowyellow is on a distinguished road
greetings! I am hoping that a few people out there could possibly spare a few minutes and give me as much advice, information, reccommendations, warnings etc as possible about the beautiful land of the unexpected! I will be travelling there for a month this summer and ANY help would be appreciated....is there anywhere we definitely should or shouldn't go? What will the weather be like in August/September?
My friend and I are experienced travellers, keen to pass on the cities and get out into the amazing countryside PNG has to offer, hopefully learning as much as possible about the art, customs and cultures of the country.
Also, does anyone know roughly the airfare from northern Australia to PNG? (considering two seperate flights, Britain to Oz then onto PNG seperately)
Look forward to hearing from you, in the meantime - big love and peace to all
xx SALLY
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 27-04-2001, 11:27 AM
lean and keen ;)

muppie is on a distinguished road
Hello Sally,

Welcome to the message board. While I am no expert in travel, I know some people in this message board are... so once they check in they'll tell you something...

From me, in general cities like Port Moresby (POM), Lae do have crime problems but towns like Mt. Hagen, Rabaul, Kokopo, etc are very safe.

For POM and Lae, just dress conservatively, watch out and don't go to area where you will be alone, don't carry too much cash, and don't go out too much at night.... besides you wouldn't come to PNG for the night life anyway

The 'bush' area are nice and I'll check out some of the local tourism stuff and let you know....

Travel from Australia to PNG is pretty easy to my knowledge there is Qantas Airlines and Air Niugini, I think almost every day from Brisbane, Cairns and now Sydney.

Feel free to pop in more questions or comment.

Cheers
Old 27-04-2001, 01:48 PM

acting_papua is on a distinguished road
Wink

Make sure you get out to the islands coz they're amazing.

A.P
Old 27-04-2001, 10:56 PM
lean and keen ;)

muppie is on a distinguished road
The Tourism Promotion Authority in PNG has a web site detailing some tourism objects that you might be interested along with some photos. I think it is worth a visit.

http://www.paradiselive.org.pg

There is also a site about diving tour that you might want to check out simply for its articles about various places:

http://www.niuginidiving.com

Weather

To my knowledge august/september will be mostly 'summer' except for some place that might experience a bit of rain.

Airfares from Brisbane to Port Moresby is roughly around US$300-450 but it could be less if there's a special.... you really have to check your travel agent for this.

Accommodation / lodge mostly cost around US$40-80 per night, meals around $5-10

Hope you have a nice trip.
Old 30-04-2001, 01:56 PM
Chief Hawkeye

ghoulishlittlegoblin is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Let's see......

Try checking out the Markham Pass and Ramu Valley, it's breathtaking drive with gorgeous scenery and the climate is excellent that time of the year. If it's diving you're after then you can't go past Walindi in the West New Britain province if not for it's spectacular dive sites then for the people and culture, the area itself is amazing although bring some waterproof stuff as it rains just about everyday there ! Also Milne Bay and Tufi offer some amazing diving as well and both provinces are famous for their cultural activites and artifacts. There are so many more that I could just go on about but.....there just isn't enough time. PM me if you have any questions, k ?
Old 01-05-2001, 01:16 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up The Land of the Unexpected

A great place to visit as a tourist - plenty to see that you wont experience anywhere in the world...where do I start.
It all depends I guess on what your interests are...if you are into nightlife - like Muppsie has informed you stay away from New Guinea.
If you are into diving - there are great dive sites all over the place.
If you are into just travelling around and enjoying the countryside - a trip up into the highlands would be great...but if that is what you have in mind - dont think it doesnt get cold here in PNG coz up there it can get cool especially at night.

It all depends on your pay packet as well and how much you have to spend whilst you are here. If you come from England your money will go quite a long way based on the exchange rate at the moment...check it out on the website for conversion rates.

If money is not an object, then you could start here in Port Moresby, head up to Mt. Hagen - then down to Goroka for a day, then off to Madang for a couple of days before heading to Kimbe and the dive resort as mentioned in an earlier message....

Then onto Rabaul and back to Lae and the morobe province.

If you want to take in even more, head out to Alotau and onto a cruise boat and end up on the Sepik River.

One of my fellow workmates went on the weekend to catholic mission areas close to Port Moresby and couldnt hold back his excitement today showing me all his pics.

The main thing to remember here in PNG is always to be aware of your personal belongings and dont be too trustworthy.

I remember a couple of tourists in Lae who asked a person walking by to take their photographs....guess what, he took off with their camera.

Stick to the rule book and you cant go wrong. Safety in numbers; do not go anywhere without asking someone who knows the area - ie Hotel Management.

If travelling the Kokoda Trail for example make sure it is safe beforehand and have a guide.

Most people here in PNG are real friendly people - its just the criminal element you have to be afraid of and fortunately they mainly come out at night.

Re the price of airfares....I would suggest doing a package from the UK or wherever you are from...usually cheaper than buying individual tickets from place to place. If you stay in top class hotels you can expect to pay top prices but even these rates would be cheap if you convert to pounds sterling.

I dont know whats available from over there but here in PNG one of the cheapest fares abroad is an around the world airfare. It allows so many stops in anyone direction providing you dont go back over the same route.

Well I have raved on for long enough - any more info please reply and we will see what can be dug up.

Oh by the way, one word of warning, make sure you have good travel insurance coz if you have to be sent to Australia for medical emergency treatment it will cost heaps. There are good private doctors here but if your life depends on it, you had better be in a position to get to Australia real quick.

Old 01-05-2001, 06:44 AM

hairylegs is on a distinguished road
Wink

Ahem........................one of those days was it?.aussie.
Old 01-05-2001, 01:21 PM
Chief Hawkeye

ghoulishlittlegoblin is on a distinguished road
Wink Hehehe...

Do you think maybe she was hoping no one would notice ???
Old 01-05-2001, 10:29 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Cop Out !

Hairylegs - I mean from what I have read you must be a pilot - right ?

Well then, you have more than likely been in every nook and crook in this whole entire country - so why not give the girl some hints as to what you think is a MUST SEE here in PNG.
Old 02-05-2001, 04:50 AM

hairylegs is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Woah....I think that was uncalled for aussie. My post did not intend to offend you in anyway, it was a mere humouros observation and nothing more. If you're still having a bad day we'll call it off and talk another day as I do not want to deteriorate this post into a name calling, slagging match.

I would love to give some advise on travel within PNG but I do not feel qualified at this stage as I do not have first hand information like the rest of the you guys, which incidently is great and I'm sure will be appreciated by mellowyellow.

About that pilot thing.....well lets just say I'm not smart enough.