Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > The Journey to Paradise > Lae and The Morobe Province

Old 21-10-2002, 09:48 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Photographs of the Morobe (Lae) Show - 2002

MALUM NALU tells why the Morobe Agriculture Show has cemented its reputation as the biggest and best organised in PNG.

THERE is one very frustrated lady in Lae after last weekend’s Morobe show. My elder sister Alison, who had come to pick me and a Spanish backpacker at the showground last Sunday evening, had the misfortune of having her vehicle windscreen smashed.

She made the mistake of parking next to the amphi-theatre, where thousands of people had gathered to watch the bands play, and in the twinkle of an eye it literally became a “Rock Concert” as people started pelting each other with stones for the fun of it.

Not very funny, at least for Alison and her family, and the terrified Spanish backpacker named Fernando. For my sister and her family, for Fernando and for me, it was an anti-climax after two enjoyable days.
In retrospect, especially for me who grew up in Lae, it was very sad as I reflected on past shows.

The show committee will have to look seriously at security for next year’s show, as well look at extending the grounds because it has become too small to cater for the many thousands of people.

Hive of activity surrounding the entrance to the Lae Showgrounds :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg entrance-to-the-show.jpg (41.3 KB, 1442 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 21-10-2002, 10:36 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Most of all, in my view, our people must change their attitudes and behaviour — petty pick pocketing, opening car doors, “rock concerts” and the like — if we want our shows to continue attracting overseas tourists.

Other than that, the 42nd Morobe Agriculture Show — which was held last Saturday and Sunday — cemented its reputation as being the biggest and best organised show in PNG.

Mike Quinn opens the show from the Jim Jacobsen Memorial Stand :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mike-quinn-jim-jacobsen-mem.jpg (29.7 KB, 1413 views)
Old 21-10-2002, 10:46 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

For as long as I can remember, and I’m 35 now, there was the show.
It was a part of Lae just like the Huon Theatre, Theatre Lae, Jumi Cab taxis, Lae Bus Service, Lae Airport, and Cecil Hotel — all of which are now extinct.

Lae, in those good old days of the ‘60s, ‘70s, and ‘80s, was very a well organised multi-racial town with a large expatriate community. Every year, in about October, we’d flock down to the showground for this yearly extravaganza, which was so much a part of our lives.

Sir Michael Somare addressing the Police Guard at the Morobe Show held during the weekend of 18 & 19th October, 2002 :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sir-michael-police-band.jpg (26.2 KB, 1379 views)
Old 21-10-2002, 10:55 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

He commended the show society for its focus on agriculture.
“This (agriculture) is what makes the country click,” he said.
“Other provinces have cultural shows.

“There is nothing wrong with this, but we must show what we produce at these shows.

“I encourage other provinces to follow the example of Morobe.” Show president Mike Quinn said the event would not have been possible without the support of all sponsors, especially Coca Cola Amatil.
“This is the 42nd show,”he said. “Our society is very happy to reach this mark.
“Our society is proud that this is the best show in PNG.
“Our society is an agricultural show society.
“This show believes in agriculture to help develop this country.”

Buai used to decorate this colourful young lady :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colourful-girl.jpg (23.6 KB, 1359 views)
Old 21-10-2002, 10:59 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Apart from attracting a number of tourists, mainly Japanese, the show also showcased the agricultural, industrial, commercial and cultural aspects of Morobe province.

It continued its major role in the dissemination of information on cultivation, crops, diseases, breeding, as well as being the largest entertainment event in the province.

This year’s main ring event program featured cowboy horse riders, The Amazing Aussie Flying Men, Flame Flour variety races for women and children, Trukai races, Guard Dog display, and fireworks display on the first day.

The second day saw cowboy horse riders, a grand parade, a marching competition for schools and community groups, official opening ceremony, traditional singsing groups, The Amazing Aussie Flying Men, Flame Flour variety races for women and children, Trukai Races, Guard Dog display, Chinese lion dance, and daylight fireworks display before the show closed.

Police Marching Display :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg police-marching.jpg (31.9 KB, 1333 views)
Old 21-10-2002, 11:14 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

The traditional singsing, which was held on Sunday, attracted approximately 60 groups with around 1500 dancers from all areas of PNG.

Other displays include the district agricultural displays, which gave an insight into village life, and a traditional archery competition.

There were a variety of other displays including school displays, health promotions and awareness programs, the music amphitheatre, commercial displays, and more.

Ring events include the horsemen from the Markham and Ramu valleys, who provided a spectacular display of horsemanship and skill, and were a huge favourite with the crowds.

Colourful Sing Sing Group :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg susu-pic.jpg (46.5 KB, 1342 views)
Old 21-10-2002, 11:17 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

There were a number of other displays, which were of interest to visitors, both local and international.

Popular Ferris Wheel : - Major sponsor of the Morobe Show is Coca Cola :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coca-cola1.jpg (34.2 KB, 1299 views)
Old 21-10-2002, 11:21 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

A Famous Asaro Mudman from Goroka, Eastern Highlands Province :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mudman.jpg (34.6 KB, 1311 views)
Old 21-10-2002, 11:27 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Traditionally dressed female contestant in the Miss ShowGirl quest :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topless-chic.jpg (33.9 KB, 1304 views)
Old 21-10-2002, 11:33 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Young riders entertained the crowd with their horses and the various events organised :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horses.jpg (25.8 KB, 1023 views)