Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 30-09-2019, 06:21 AM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
The Companion Chronicles: The Second Doctor: Volume One: The Mouthless Dead:
The Mouthless Dead is the first story in The Second Doctor Volume One from the Companion Chronicles.
Featuring the Second Doctor, Ben, Polly and Jamie.
Written by John Pritchard.
This does not have any guest stars but it does have guest characters played by the Doctor and companion actors.
The TARDIS crew arrived in a train station in 1920 and soon strange figures of the dead emerged especially with this being in the aftermath of World War I as it relates to a dead soldier from that war.
A very haunting story and a very spooky atmosphere being set at the train station.
The music complements this story very well.
Old 30-09-2019, 12:08 PM

The War Master: Only the Good: The Sky Man:
Penultimate episode of Only the Good.
Written by James Goss.
I guess it was inevitable that when the Master got his own series there would be a Master-lite episode and The Sky Man is this first experiment for The War Master series with this format.
On Cole's request the Master takes him to a world so he can save it and this world is that of a farming community.
The Sky Man is a name the locals gives to Cole due to the way he came to their world.
Not long before listening to this I saw the similarly named Wing Commander Academy 1.5 Lords of the Sky and both episodes more or less run on similar premises including a war being a backdrop.
With the Master's limited appearance, Cole dominates proceedings here and it is a rather brilliant performance by Jonny Green as Cole with what he got himself into.
There is a lovely love story between Cole and farmgirl Elidh and it was so sad how it inevitably came to an end.
What Cole ultimately does to the people of this world felt chronically prescient to what the Master would do when he came up with the Toclafane.

I listened to this on Sunday September 29 2019 and this episode presented an emotional atmosphere which took me by surprise and superbly done.

An enthralling listen on what could have been another typical Sunday for me.

The best of the three War Master episodes so far.

Also it has certain moments I like to have with my wife Karen Gillan.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:31 PM

Hour of the Cybermen:
Hour of the Cybermen is an audio story from Big Finish.
Featuring the Sixth Doctor.
Written by Andrew Smith, directed by Jamie Anderson and released in July 2018.
This story brings back the UNIT characters of Col. Price and Daniel Hopkins who previously appeared in the Fifth Doctor story The Helliax Rift also directed by Anderson.
As indicated in the title this is a Cybermen story and while Sixie had met Cybermen before what makes this one especially remarkable is that it marked the return of David Banks as the Cyber Leader and Mark Hardy as the Cyber Lieutenant as they both played their Cyber roles on television.
This marked a reunion between Sixth Doctor Colin Baker and Banks as the Cyber Leader fought against each other on TV in Attack of the Cybermen.
For Hardy, Hour of the Cybermen is a rectification for him being in a Sixth Doctor story as he wasn’t available to reprise the Cyber Lieutenant in Attack of the Cybermen.
Hour of the Cybermen is a superb story with the intrigues and the betrayal that goes around here.
Blake Harrison as Daniel Hopkins truly shines in the story as we now meet a man who has lost his family since he last saw the Doctor and the effect this trauma has resulted on what he does in this story.
It is revealed that the Cybermen has a hidden base underneath a key location in this story which me think of similar situation in the Cybermen TV episode Closing Time.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:54 PM

Stephen Fry guest stars in the first episode of Jodie Whittaker's second season as the Doctor.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Short Trips: The Shadows of Serenity:
The Shadows of Serenity is the sixth episode of the fifth season of Big Finish's Short Trips series.
Featuring the Sixth Doctor and Peri.
Read by Nicola Bryant (Peri)
Written by Nigel Robinson and released in June 2015.
Sixie and Peri arrived on the planet Malgar where the Malgarians are known as a very violent species.
However when Sixie and Peri meets them they are devoid of violence.
Fascinating story on why the Malgarians are non-violent and how it involved the Sisters of Serenity.

There is however one thing I found perplexing about the story is when Peri says that she would like to eat a hamburger as I thought Peri is a vegetarian!
Old 05-10-2019, 08:37 PM

The War Master: Only the Good: The Heavenly Paradigm:
Finale of Only the Good.
Written by Guy Adams.
Final appearance by Jonny Green as Cole.
With the atmosphere that is the War Master series, it was inevitable that Cole's time with the Master would come to an end and not in a good way with no sadness from the Master unlike the Doctor with his companions.
The Master and Cole arrived on what appear to be suburbia and my current image of suburbia is helped by my viewing of Knots Landing.
The Master's TARDIS transform into a red telephone box with the Master guessing, perhaps rightly, that it was mimicking the Doctor's TARDIS.
They soon meet Mrs Wilson who soon be revealed is all that she seems.
Mrs Wilson is played by Nerys Hughes, Todd in Kinda, Rhys' mother Brenda in Torchwood and subsequent to The Heavenly Paradigm, Big Finish cast her as the Fourth Doctor companion Margaret.
When it was revealed about machines presenting about the consequences of decisions being made, Cole says it is like what happens in turning left or right. Cole however says the hypothetical consequences of these same directions is opposite to the same directions being presented in Doctor Who: Turn Left.
No doubt opposite consequences of the same directions being presented in Doctor Who and the War Master emphasises the polar opposites that are the Doctor and the Master.
The Master mentioned about possible futures being wiped out. Having lived the life that I have it is a concept that I know all too well.
Overall enjoyable way to end Only The Good with that certain hint on what is to come in the Master's future.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:57 PM

Missy: A Spoonful of Mayhem:
Series opener of Missy from Big Finish.
Written by Roy Gill.
A Spoonful of Mayhem is a variation of A Spoonful of Sugar, a song from Mary Poppins and Missy is essentially the anti-Mary Poppins.
The Missy series looked at what Missy had been up when she was not around the Doctor and A Spoonful of Mayhem has her in Victorian London being forced to being a governess to two kids, one of whom Lucy Davis is played by Bonnie Kingston, Alex Kingston's niece.
A Spoonful of Mayhem is a fun start to the Missy series as she encounters a Djinn in the midst of dealing with those two kids.
The fun bit was when Missy tells Lucy to take a picture on her phone. As this is Victorian London, Lucy of course did not know what Missy meant.
The scene in the train certainly made me think of one in Back To The Future III.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:15 AM

Dark Eyes 4: Master of the Daleks:
Penultimate episode.
Written by John Dorney.
Master of the Daleks sees the return of Molly but she was not played by Ruth Bradley and she is played instead by Sorcha Cusack as a Molly 40 years older in an alternate Earth and goes by the name of Mary Carter.
Cusack is the daughter of Cyril Cusack who was one of several actors considered for the First Doctor.
On television I see Sorcha Cusack in her regular role in Father Brown.
Master of the Daleks is a horrifying and very good story set on a bleak alternate Earth.
Truly impressive when Liv used perfume as mace on the Master.
Liv questions whether the Master and the Dalek Time Controller really called each other by their titles since it is a contradiction. An impressive philosophical question.
Also very good in the midst of the exciting climax how the Master is last presented in this episode in typical Master style.
Old 13-10-2019, 02:45 AM

Shake, Rattle and Roll:
Shake, Rattle and Roll is fan fiction published in DE #238.
Featuring the Twelfth Doctor, Bill and Nardole.
Written by Chanelle Dixon.
The Doctor, Bill and Nardole arrived in 1978 Las Vegas where they meet Elvis Presley even though he died the previous year 1977.
Interesting tale of why Elvis is still alive and of course involves aliens in this case it is that of the Molovians and how the anomaly that is Elvis gets fixed.

At the same time in reading this I re-listened to the Twelfth Doctor audio story Death Among The Stars which coincidentally has a Elvis-looking alien.

Last edited by Matt See; 20-10-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 13-10-2019, 09:06 PM

Years 1.2 written by Russell T. Davies sees the introduction of a device called Blink.

Incidentally Blink is also the name of a Doctor Who episode during Davies' run as showrunner although not written by him.

In fact Blink came two episodes before The Sound of Drums which had a Vivenne Rook that is different from the character of the same name in Years and Years.