Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 12-02-2004, 02:30 PM

***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
Matui feels obliged to serve UPNG

VERY few become conscious of the fact that they owe the institutions that contribute to their professional development.

And they would mostly want to return that favor by staying on to serve these institutions and contribute to development and progress.
One such person is Mange Matui, a temporary fulltime tutor in the School of Law at the University of Papua New Guinea.

A young 28 years old Eastern Highlands born man from Darapap village in the Murik Lakes of East Sepik province believes that institutions develop characters to professional level and he therefore owes UPNG for contributing to his professional development.

“I feel I am obliged to remain at UPNG and contribute because I am a by-product of this university. UPNG has raised me,” he said.
He acknowledged Executive Dean of the School of Law, Lawrence Kalinoe, Associate Professor John Luluaki, and former Dean, Eric Kwa for instrumental in his professional growth and development and encouraging him to stay on and serve UPNG.

“Merely, I thought I would be obliged to serve the university in any capacity and I thank senior staff from the (Law) school for their support and encouragement to remain although I received a lucrative job offer from a private law firm and would have taken it.

“My desire to remain at UPNG was greater than taking the job offer because I owe a lot to the school and the university. This is the place I thought I will be and the career path I choose to take,” he added.
Matui said that he feels encouraged because it is an approach that is taken to developing young graduate academics to ensure continuity of teaching and learning within the school.

One can dream big about so many things but if not given an opportunity, he or she cannot achieve those dreams. The school gave him that opportunity to realise his dreams, he said.

He commended the work of Teaching and Learning Center (TLC) in conducting special courses to enhance the skills of young academics to be effective in teaching. He was a pioneer in the TLC courses and described it as "very helpful".

He also commended Vice Chancellor, Professor Lesslie Eastcott for recognising the needs of young academics and being helpful.
Mr. Matui entered UPNG as a law student in 1996. After graduating with a law degree, he studied at the Legal Training Institute where they train graduates to practice law.

In 2001, he was employed by UPNG Law School as a tutor and taught for eight months before winning a Chevening Scholarship to study for his Masters degree at the University of London in the United Kingdom.
He returned to take up teaching again in 2002 after completing his studies.

ENDS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matui.jpg (20.2 KB, 235 views)

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 17-03-2004, 11:16 AM

Yekanamialye is on a distinguished road
I salute Mr. Matui

A story of one of the finest sons of Papua New Guinea, my great Melanesian Motherland.

I comment, Mr. Matui for his story and I wish him all the best in his career as a young academic.

I would like to encourage young thinking Papua New Guineans to have the similar aspiration as Mange.

In this way, we all can contribute to the development of Papua New Guinea.

By P.Y.K.Kokwaiye
Old 29-03-2004, 02:15 PM

possum is on a distinguished road
Red face

Certainly an encouraging story given the recent news of the decline of the University.