Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Port Moresby

Old 10-08-2008, 12:57 AM

surveyman is on a distinguished road
Smile Fishing - Diving

I am a fishing and diving/snorkeling NUT! I would probably want to buy a boat before I buy a car hehe.

There appears to be some great diveable reefs just off of POM. Anyone have info on the health of these? Or maybe some first hand experience diving the area?

There appears to be quite a few wrecks scattered around the area as well that might be diveable and hold fish. I cant seem to find any diving/fishing info there though.

Also, are there charter boats that fish offshore?

Thanks in advance.
Jim
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 10-08-2008, 01:48 AM

nette is on a distinguished road
Hi Jim, I never lived in Moresby, but there is great diving and a lot of wrecks all over the rest of PNG, so I don't see why there should be any different. I miss the beaches and reefs there so much. Australia has nothing on the boating life up there.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:43 AM

surveyman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nette
Hi Jim, I never lived in Moresby, but there is great diving and a lot of wrecks all over the rest of PNG, so I don't see why there should be any different. I miss the beaches and reefs there so much. Australia has nothing on the boating life up there.
Thank you for your reply. I know that once I get there I will very busy exploring. So much so that I might not want to do what I come for...work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonester
Diving is a plenty. I know of 29 locations, mostly are along the reef just south of POM. There are also a few wrecks. That said, the best diving is on the "north side" of the island.
You can join POMSAC (affilliated with the Yacthie), they go out most weekends for a dive & costs around 40Kina per dive (I Think). You need to be fit and have all of your gear, & follow the rules.
If you want to go out and hire some of your gear. Just call up the dive centre and for K300 you get an all inclusive trip (transfers/gear hire/ 2 dives & a meal). They have a website, but untech deregistered their domain, as they sent the bill via POST PNG . The place is called The Dive Centre and is located at Airways Hotel on the hill.

If you want to do fishing. Join the Fishing Club http://www.gfa.com.pg or suck up to some of the "old salts' in the main bar at the yatch club.

Tony

BTW: I div too. The coral and life is very good in POM
Thanks Tony. I did manage to find the dead link for the Dive Center. I wont tell you about the negatives I felt when it seemed to me they are no more. But HAPPY DAY!!! I will wear them out filling my tanks and bugging them with endless questions like I do here.

The GFA link is wonderful, thank you so much. I might not be able to run with those guys but its always good to know they are there. I will be sure to visit the yacht club, it seems to be a central point of interest for alot of people.

Take care guys,
Jim