Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > School Mates > Schools in Lae > The International School of Lae

The International School of Lae TISOL or Lae International High School

Old 24-04-2003, 10:27 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Lae International High School - 1980

Guess what turned up on my doorstep today, yes the Lae International High School Magazine for the year 1980 :

Front Cover :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front-cover.jpg (31.3 KB, 2292 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 24-04-2003, 10:29 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

C R E D I T S

We've finally got our magazine finished after a lot of hard work and effort. Despite a few minor verbal eruptions
on Miss Vieira's part we all managed to keep smiling - and out
of her way.

Thanks must be given to the following people for their indispensable and enthusiastic assistance in the production of our long awaited school magazine.

Mr Colquhoun for early proof reading :

Illustrations - David Nalu, Peter Smith and David Barbour,
Richard Bull who designed the magazine cover

Compiling - Karen Lewis, Anna Maria Gilmore, Cyndy Cruikshank, Trudy Chang, Matthew Watson, Vicki Kilroy, Heidi Scholler, Rebecca Greenwood, Clarissa Taduran

Photography - the photography club especially Elizabeth Shaw Suzanne Brereton, Susan Zerbe and special thanks to Mr Brown
A very special thanks to Michael Mandelc who not only illustrated most of the magazine, but also organised and gave constructive (?) and expert advice to the other artists.

Peita Charman and Mandy Haward have to be thanked for the valuable time they spent in the production of the pages.

Finally our heartfelt thanks to Miss Vieira who with her endless enthusiasm and dedication has set the standard for the magazines
to follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cartoon.jpg (94.7 KB, 2316 views)
Old 24-04-2003, 10:34 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

During the short history of the school there have been many changes and in this uncertain world we must expect further changes. After two
years in our new school we have already reached the capacity of the school and the strong growth rate is pushing us into a further building programme for next year. The period of consolidation that we had hoped for will have to wait.

This remarkable growth has no external factors to explain it, no sudden increase in the expatriate population, we are simply the victims
of our own success. The perception that we are a school that cares, th.at students here feel they belong and are considered as individuals has much to do with our success. We have no well established tradition of producing leaders of men nor do we have a reputation for sporting excellence as yet.

We do however, care about standards and our excellent academic results reflect this concern. Literate, numerate and articulate students in a declining job market with high unemployment among school leavers, fare best and our school is conscious of our responsibility in this respect.

In blind pursuit of such objecti~es however we must guard against distorting the education we offer in our school by ignoring the training of "character" and the development of qualities such as the ability to get along with other people, to show tolerance and respect differences, and to respond and contribute to team work.

Unlike academic standards these qualities are difficult to quantify but the harmonious atmosphere within our; multi-cultural school society suggests success in this area. We are a truly International school and this is reflected in both the composition of the students and staff, and the develop- ment of our curriculum.

We must continue to provide a style of education catering for the diverse backgrounds of our students. The introduction of the International Baccalaureate and our affiliation to the European Council of International Schools would be obvious developments in that direction.

I would like to thank all the staff for their support and dedication and hope they continue to derive as much satisfaction as I have done over the years. I speak for the Lae community at large when I extend those thanks to the Board and the Parents and Friends Association.

We are where we are today because of their tireless and generous efforts and I am grateful for their assistance and friendship.

Finally to all the students I would like to congratulate them on their efforts in producing this magazine and wish them every success in the future.

B. Gascoigne :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gascoigne.jpg (56.7 KB, 2221 views)
Old 24-04-2003, 10:40 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

With the introduction of Year 12 this year, Lae International High School has made yet another chapter in its short history. It is the first time that the school has been able to offer a complete secondary education and we are proud to have been appointed School Captains to lead the students in this memorable year. Furthermore, both of us have been here since the schools' incepti~ in 1977 and feel honoured to be able to fill these positions.

Last year saw us move into our new school premises, an event I which we think was instrumental in ensuring the future of L.I.B.S.

Both of us can remember, as can no doubt, quite a few of our fellow students when there were only 90 students in 1977, and the crowded conditions of 1978 when 130 of us had to share facilities with the now TXie Provincial High School. Our relations with these studentswer.eone of friendship and understanding and we hope this , will continue in the future. Therefore,1979 came as a great el relief when with 180 students, we were able to have facilities of our own.

L.I.H.S. has always had a seemingly inevitable expansion because of the good image which our school projects. with a fine group of competent teachers and an excellent student body, estimated to reach 340 next year, the future growth of the school is assured.

As School Captains, we feel a certain amount of pride in what, L.I.B.S. has achieved, a feeling which should extend to each and everyone who was or is now a student of L.I.B.S.

Brenton Clark & Patsy Aldan :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brenton-clark-&-patsy-aldan.jpg (27.7 KB, 2112 views)
Old 24-04-2003, 10:48 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

From the S.R.C. Chairman .....

Since the beginning of the year, the S.R.C. has seen several changes. Firstly, there was the election of myself as Chairman, taking the place of long over-worked Brenton Clark and the addition of Susan Benson, filling the position of Treasurer, previously occupied by Clarissa Taduran.

Of all the changes this year, I feel the most significant Iand beneficial has been the appointment of Miss Bonner to the position of staff representative. Her constant support, guidance and true school spirit has given the S.R.C. and any Istudent involved with her a fresh attitude.

Any suggestions or grievances held by the student body are taken seriously and positive moves are taken to arrive at a satisfactory solution.

Overall 1980 has been a successful year for the S.R.C. and the school members as a whole. A fine example of this success is the outstanding effort and support put into the Dance-a-thon which managed to raise a grand total of K4500. The funds raised from this venture have been uti1ised as follows:
  • 5 piece Stereo System K1500
  • Contribution to new photocopier K1000
  • Sporting Equipment K 500
Leaving a balance of over K1500 in the S.R.C. account.

In conclusion I would like to say to the student body that S.R.C. is a facility provided for your use and when supported and uti1ised correctly will be of much benefit to yourselves and your school.

Mick Mandelc :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sue-benson-etc.jpg (31.5 KB, 2053 views)
Old 24-04-2003, 10:54 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Our Prefects

Sitting from left to right :

Helmet Pelgen, Simone Davies, David Collinson

Standing from left to right :

Moale Vagi, Tom Blacklock, Brenton Clark, Nicola Brereton, Patsy AIdan, Theo Pelgen

Earlier this year, ten students from Years 11 and 12 were elected prefects by the rest of the school. They were Patsy Aldan, Simone Davies, Valerie Kwan, Karen McCrea, Karen Kleinhauss.
Thomas Blacklock and Theo Pelgen of Year 11 and Helmut Pelgen, David Collinson and Brenton Clark of Year 12.

Since then, Karen McCrea and Valerie have resigned and their
places were taken by Nicola Brereton and Moale Vagi of Year 11.

According to the "Code of Behaviour". a prefect's duty is to
"handle matters of authority as determined by the Headmaster and Staff, and demonstrate the qualities of leadership,citizenship and
maturity encouraged in all students".

The job of a prefect includes supervision of Area Duty, the clearing of classrooms after 12.35pm, ensuring that order is kept in the playground during recess and lunchtime, as well as supervision of the library during lunchtime and after school.

We now have our detention system in the form of Corrective Tasks at lunchtime for minor offences. A prefect may award a C.T. as he or she thinks fit. However, we are pleased to note that the C.T.'s issued are few and far between.

Lastly, we would like to pay tribute to the prefects of 1977, 1978 and 1979, who helped to build the school (and prefect system) into what we have now.

They were (in alphabetical order): Sue Ball (78) Pam Busse(78) Simone Craswell (78.79). Bernice Faust (77), Fiona Gerard (77,78), Paul Hassall (77), Denise Hughes (79), Sally Inkpin (77), Norman Javier (78). Lee Jones (79), Chris Morgan (79), Jackie Noble (77), Jovanka Noble (79), Michael Noble (78). Jack Reents (77.78).

Philippa Wardlaw (79). Rodney Wilson (78) and any other prefect I may have forgotten. Of this year's prefects, Simone, Nicola, Karen McCrea, Helmut, Thopmas and Brenton were prefects in 1978 and / or 1979.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prefects.jpg (62.1 KB, 2096 views)
Old 24-04-2003, 11:25 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Tuckshop

Mrs. Mc. Gree feeding one of the hungry hundreds :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mrs-mcgree.jpg (59.5 KB, 2037 views)
Old 24-04-2003, 11:26 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Librarian - Mrs. Broadbent :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mrs-broadbent.jpg (37.5 KB, 1956 views)
Old 24-04-2003, 11:27 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Ancillary Staff :

What would we do without them ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ancillary-staff.jpg (66.3 KB, 1948 views)
Old 24-04-2003, 11:29 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Office

Without Mrs. Bond the school and office wouldn't function :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mrs-bond.jpg (66.1 KB, 1934 views)