Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > School Mates

School Mates Catch up with your school mates from PNG. TISOL, POMIS, RIS, POM Grammar, Bulae, and a lot more!

Old 17-06-2004, 09:04 PM

lauwt is on a distinguished road
What Happened to Lae High School

Hi Everyone,

I went to Lae High School in 1971 and 72 (travelled from Igam Barracks in any army bus).

I see entries here for Lae International High, but Lae High?

Anyone with pictures of Lae High School or knowledge of any teachers or students around this time? I recall Mr Flute was the principal (name sticks cos I remember getting the cane from him). Also Mrs Grant taught English.

Most memorable day was finding with friends an ammo dump at the back of the oval one day!

Regards

San
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LaeHigh0056.JPG (176.6 KB, 1133 views)

Last edited by lauwt; 17-06-2004 at 09:10 PM.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 10-11-2004, 05:55 PM

Cdurman is on a distinguished road
I remember finding the ammo dump out the back of the school that day - we had to get the army in, but not before we knocked off a heap of the 50 claibre ammo cases (very rusty), and I htink a grenade or two- I think the english teacher (whose room was upstairs from the person in the pic) went ballistic when she saw them. we had to watch the films about not what to do with the stuff.

Cheers
Chris
Old 28-11-2004, 01:32 PM

Jim Dudgeon is on a distinguished road
Lae High Info from a charter student

Hello to Lavwr and anyone who might happen to this web site

My name is Jim Dudgeon, I was one of the original students who enrolled at the LHS on the very fists day it was opened.
There was only the single long block/building then on the official grounds, but, there was one extra building over the road (dirt then) which was the manual arts block.

The first headmaster was a Mr Neil Blackburn, he had a son attending also.
The next headmaster was a Mr Norman Dennis, he took us for the maths classes, and was my tennis/sports teacher, he drove a VW combie station wagon.
There was a Mrs Tonks the english teacher, she was a very small lady.
There was a miss who became a Mrs Gibson while we were there, and Mr Warren Gibson who was the science teacher.

There was a lady who tought french, but her name escapes me, and I think a Mrs Grant, but Im not too sure of this, its 35 odd years ago now.

Ohh you boys will like the next bit, as the school was brand spanking new, the playing fields and ajacent areas had to be made presentable as there was scrub and stuff lying about, so every wednesday afternoon (which was sports period) we downed lessons and fixed up around the school. This went for 6 months.

Yes, we found ammo, and disposed with it
Punnishments, well this day I had done something, I think it was giving cheek or had had a physical ex-changeing of views with a fellow student (fight) and so I had to stay back one afternoon, there was a huge pile of a cut down tree branches, Mr Gibson decided to make me move them from that spot to another spot.
Some time later he returned to my toil, examining it he said good work, now since the grass will die in the new spot, you had better put them back in the original spot. Grrrrrrrrr. Ha Ha, yep, I put them back, he had a huge smile on his face.
The first student to ride a motorbike to school was a Garth Bartlet, the motorbike was a Matchless. My brother Stan finished his final year, riding to HS on his BSA motor bike. I had to settle for the wheely wheel.

One day there was a student romance (gazeing in eachothers eyes only), the school work in the 2 kids was sufferring, so the HM delt with it while were all on parade, Im not going to say who they were, but I sure was glad I was standing on parade and not up on the verrandah with the HM.

Somewhere I have a single photo of our class, but it is burried real deep at home.
In those days when a student left High School for the last time, all he or sch got was a A4 typed bit of paper with their exam results on it, there was not even a official school headding on the top to verify that it was a certificate.

As one employer once said to me, any one could type it out, so it might be prudent for someone in the education department to access their database and rectify this little oversite as I dont have a "proper" certificate.
I can be reached by email by J(surname)@bigpond.com

Hope I have been able to help you out with the info Lauwt

HAS ANYONE ALSO GOT ANY MEMORIES OF THIS SCHOOL?
Jim
Old 29-11-2004, 03:52 PM

Cdurman is on a distinguished road
Sure Jim- It was great for us young bucks- the years being the early 70's, and much of our spare time across the road from Lae High in a mega Chinese Trade store with all the interesting things that made up the fabric of society at the time. The guys on motorbikes when I was there was limited to one American fellow in Form 6 whose Dad was a missionary, his mate I remember used to smoke a pipe- we thought they were pretty cool. The tuck shop served the best potato scallops, Mr Flute was our HM, and also taught science. We had the usual earth quake drills, and one rather rough one was totally ignored by everyone but us (were in English at the time). Buses were 5c home, and I used to walk half the time - less time at home with the homework. I lived on the corner of Vee St across from the SDA church, where we would pop over and watch the planes land.
A bunch of us were learning guitars, and helped (?) the music teacher who had an accoustic an played at a few of the morning and afternoon events. We spent time out at Lae Tech, Igam Barracks, and made some excellent freinds out there. Sat night at Igam film night, and I wathced "Exodus" up there. I remember I couldnt work it out.
Tony Piglett, Albert Delacruz, Scott Walters, the English faimily, to name a few were freinds. We had come down from Madang and I copmleted Grade 6 in Lae (Corontation). Many more memories - Mum has all the photo's in Perth. Cheers.
Old 29-11-2004, 07:10 PM

Lae High

Hi All,

More good memories of the old Lae High. Certainly light years ahead of the school (and the life) I went to after returning from PNG. From the relaxed and carefree to a school life on another planet.

Has anyone got any pictures of classes, teachers etc etc from Lae High? Or where are those teachers now - Mr Flute would have to be in his 70s!! Mrs Grant taught English in 1972 - she would also have to be in here 70s. I recall a Mr Tye taught music - he would have to be pushing 60!

Regards

San
Old 03-08-2005, 02:59 PM

Maz is on a distinguished road
Vince Tye's (the music teacher) contact details can be found on Friends United site, the old schoolfriends.com.au. Wonderful memories of Lae High, I remember the sadness when Albert De La Cruz was killed on the Highlands Highway (not such a great memory). Do you remember the McClatchie Brothers (John and Sam). Regards, Maz
Old 03-08-2005, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the information Maz, yes I remember Albert he was same year as my sister - I actually recall him sitting on the floor of our house at Igam Barracks trying to teach her to play the guitar... We left Lae before that tragedy. I remember the Nateras & Richardsons but after 30 odd years my memory is a haze. I do have memories of sitting in the music building with cement floor watching ants roaming here and there and dreaming my life away. A far cry from life in Sydney in 2005.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:14 AM

Maz is on a distinguished road
The american who had the motorbike is Bruce Hughes, his sisters name is Sondra, the teacher with the mini skirt is Sue Knott, she was living with Eric Willmott (a teacher at Lae High), I remember all the boys used to stand under the steps when Miss Knott walked up them (dirty buggers), you may have been one of them.!!!!! I remember a day when a teacher Mrs Munchow had the hots for Eric Willmott and abused the you know what out of Sue Knott, she was a gorgeous woman, Mrs Munchow was an old dag. Yes I remember Caroline Flute, tried to act straight, but I think that was all an act. Another wonderful teacher there was the Geography teacher Kate Duffy. Who remembers Mrs Grant (could eat an apple through a tennis racket), and her daughters name was Morag Lightbody (real name), caused a lot of merriment among the students as she had enormous boobs. If you have a contact number for Bev Camm would be much appreciated, would love to see what she's up to these days, helped me through a bad time after we left Lae High. And who could forget Peter Holland, little skinny thing, Tim Kennedy used to give him a hard time. Cheers for now, Maz
Old 04-08-2005, 02:48 PM

"xtc" is on a distinguished road
Some time in the late 70s or 80s (I had left then) Lae High School as we knew it then was moved to Buimo road (opposite the cemetary in the OTC grounds, you know before the Egg Farm). The current location became a provincial high school with 'T' curriculum.
I remember good Mr. Flute I've always thought he had a big heart. Very different from fierce Mrs Grant his deputy. I was there when Chris Walker's elder sister (forgot her name) was the girl school president or somethin.....
Old 23-09-2005, 11:10 AM

bbaby is on a distinguished road
Smile Teacher at Lae High

Hi everyone,My mum taught at Lae High for a number of years before going across the road to Bulae..she taught Home Economics to the girls including sewing..her name is BEV SANDS & has retired in Port Vila Vanuatu.She taught at the central primary school in vila for a long time & became the headmistress & retired 4 years ago..regards Darren.