Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 03-03-2005, 05:13 PM

considering is on a distinguished road
Lae : cost of living, safety

I'm considering taking up a position in Lae & wonder what the average cost of living is like? Are western foods such as cheese available? Restaurant costs in simple but good places - ie not the 5 star menu in 5 star hotels!
Is it safe for a female to live there?
Thanks
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 06-03-2005, 06:33 PM

phoenix is on a distinguished road
I'm in the same boat as you 'considering'. I would also be very interested in the Health system in PNG, particularly in Mt Hagen. Can anyone help me please?
Old 29-03-2005, 10:45 AM

ottos is on a distinguished road
Lae is not a rural village setting for your information. So any kind of queries regarding the availability of cheese,what so ever is nonsense!

cheers!
sptz
Old 29-03-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottos
Lae is not a rural village setting for your information. So any kind of queries regarding the availability of cheese,what so ever is nonsense!

cheers!
sptz
Such a pity that you only managed to comment on the availability of cheese. I'm sure that there must be several other htings you would have been able to tell those of us who are looking at moving to PNG and really both need and want to know as much about the place that you can tell us. The internet is the first place that one seeks information these days and of course information from those who are already living there, is very valuable. Perhaps you could 'put yourself in the position of one living in Australia who knows nothing about PNG and REALLY needs your help. Or perhaps consider that you are speaking to a classroom of children in Australia who want to know about the place in which you live. I know that living in Sydney and living in Broome in Australia are totally different places in which to live. Please be generous with your knowledge and tell us what we need to know, or perhaps, if you weren't born there, tell us the things that you noticed to be different from whence you came and/or the things you wished you had known.......
Many thanks for your valuable contirbution to this discussion............Phoenix
Old 29-03-2005, 10:27 PM

ottos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
Such a pity that you only managed to comment on the availability of cheese. I'm sure that there must be several other htings you would have been able to tell those of us who are looking at moving to PNG and really both need and want to know as much about the place that you can tell us. The internet is the first place that one seeks information these days and of course information from those who are already living there, is very valuable. Perhaps you could 'put yourself in the position of one living in Australia who knows nothing about PNG and REALLY needs your help. Or perhaps consider that you are speaking to a classroom of children in Australia who want to know about the place in which you live. I know that living in Sydney and living in Broome in Australia are totally different places in which to live. Please be generous with your knowledge and tell us what we need to know, or perhaps, if you weren't born there, tell us the things that you noticed to be different from whence you came and/or the things you wished you had known.......
Many thanks for your valuable contirbution to this discussion............Phoenix
Very sory for any inconvenience I may have caused you. Anyway I just got a little bit carried away with my selfish thoughts..

Yeah, sure Lae is definitely a much safer and cheaper place to work and live in PNG. There are certainly great chinese restaurants that offer a variety of dishes that you should enjoy when you get there. Apart from that the local shops like Papindo Trading, Andersons provide a variety of any kind of Western food that you can find anywhere in the world. The local fruits and Veges can be very easily acquired from the Lae Fresh food Market at very cheap prices compared to PortMoresby.

There are also very beutiful sites to visit such as the Rain Forest Habit located at the Papua New Guinea University Of Technology(Unitech), about 10 minutes drive from the city centre. If you are really interested in coming over to PNG, then I suggest that Lae is one of the ideal locations in terms of safety, cost of living and the fact that it is also the gateway to visiting the Highlands of Papua New Guinea and Beautiful Madang(a famous tourist destination).

Once again, my sincere apologies for my original message and I hope I have given you some helpul information. Do not hesitate to request further information, should you require more!

cheers!
Ottos

Last edited by ottos; 29-03-2005 at 10:34 PM.
Old 16-04-2005, 10:39 PM

Thumbs up

Otto

I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to reply to your message but I've had ongoing trial & tribulations with my laptop. I thank you for your most informative reply. Unfortunatly for us, it seems that with the latest problems with your PM and our security people in Australia, it doesn't look as though we will be moving to Mt Hagen in the near future!

I was actually looking forward to visiting the War Cemetry in Lae as my Uncle was killed on the Kokoda Trail one month befor the end of the war.

Thnaks again for the information & let's hope foreigh relations improve soon.

Kind regards
Old 01-05-2005, 06:41 PM

agro01 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Also looking at working in Lae

Is Lae a safer place to move around in than POM .I was in POM 2 weeks ago and was not to go out around the town on your own.especially at night
Old 02-05-2005, 11:53 AM

SquashGal is on a distinguished road
Smile

Lae is a pretty safe place to move around at night (for driving that is, maybe not for someone just walking around). We usually play our squash competitions at night and have no trouble driving home from Chinatown at night. Just like every other city in the world, there are certain places that you should avoid for safety reasons, but other than that, you shouldnt have much trouble.
Old 14-06-2005, 01:04 PM

red is on a distinguished road
Question Cost of Living.

Hi ,

I have been offered a job in Lae as an expat (I am from Sydney). The job includes all the “normal” stuff (housing, vehicle, health insurance etc) but my question is how much should I budget for my livening expenses (food & utilities) per week in A$ please.

FYI, I will be living alone.

I will be very thankful for your help.

Red