Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Port Moresby

Old 19-03-2004, 03:50 PM

***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
ANG undertake food handling training to maintain high standards

DO you ever wonder where and how the food you eat during international flights on the national carrier Air Niugini (ANG) got there in the first place?

Do you have any doubt that the food you are eating has been handled to the highest international standard of food safety?
Well be rest assured that Air Niugini is putting the food that you eat during flights with the highest regard to international standards of food safety.

Last week, over 20 of its staff in the catering services department completed a Food Handlers Course and were presented with certificates at the end of the course.The National Department of Health (NdoH) conducted the course on a 2 hourly basis for a month.

Executive Chef Chris Kei put the lids on the food packages as Chief Chef Ken Pascall add the few bits of food on the platter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ang 1.jpg (55.8 KB, 152 views)

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 19-03-2004, 03:56 PM

The course has been part of the department’s aim of promoting food safety in such important food establishments and was invited for the first time by Air Niugini to provide an in-house training for its catering service staff.

This action alone shows the level of commitment from the management in protecting the health of consumers, especially the traveling public.

The Director for Health Promotions and Acting Director for Technical Services of NdoH Lindsay Piliwas when officiating at the occasion said the safety control of food in PNG has to be upheld and for air travel it is no difference.

The happy group of participants display their certificates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ang 2.jpg (76.1 KB, 144 views)
Old 19-03-2004, 04:00 PM

More importantly as international flights enter into other countries, the maintenance of international standards of food safely must be given paramount consideration.

“The health of all travellers are in your hands. Travellers spend most time outside of home and have the privilege to eat meals on the aircrafts. They have confidence in the airline they choose to fly and expect the food they eat to be safe.

“Travellers and consumers of food everything have the right to good health and safe food and wholesome food is paramount.”

As food is consumed and enters the body, people who prepare and handle food should practice proper personal hygiene.
In this matter, Mr Piliwas recommended that food handlers should make washing of hands a habit.

A participants receives her certificate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ang 3.jpg (56.4 KB, 155 views)
Old 19-03-2004, 04:03 PM

“There are a number of food related diseases that are not reported because people take it for granted that it is normal part of growing. They report diarrhoea, stomach ache when they get fever. Otherwise nothing is reported.

“ All food premises where food is stored, prepared and sold for immediate consumption should provide proper facilities for washing of hands.”

He also warned owners of food premises especially those operating commercially to ensure food premises and food handlers are healthy.
“There are officers who are inspectors under the Health Act. They are responsible for ensuring that food premises and food handlers are healthy.

They have discretionary powers under the Act to confiscate, condemn, test, collect samples and educate food handlers. Any person who obstruct them from carrying out their duties are liable to prosecution. Inspectors are ears and eyes of the public and they are here to protect your from eating unhealthy food.

“They need to be respected and supported in the execution of their duties,” Mr Piliwas added.

[Ends

A representative of the participants thank the officials from the Health department for the opportunity for learning new and usual things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ang9.jpg (64.5 KB, 161 views)