Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 09-05-2013, 12:14 PM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
Sydney Sunday Telegraph’s Nick Dent reviewed Star Trek Into Darkness in which he gave it three stars and the verdict of “Disappointing sequel ditches characters for pyrotechnics”.
Dent expressed disappointment with the depiction of the familiar characters.
On Kirk he described as “smug, rule-flouting space-ace who wins the day through luck rather than smarts” something that the late Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry would not be impressed with.
Dent however praised Benedict Cumberbatch’s performance as Harrison.

In his concluding remarks Dent said that hardcore Trekkies will be thrilled but the appearances of friends and foes and that if “you’re willing to overlook the screwy logic and cardboard heroes, then you’ll have a good time”.

Elsewhere in the Sunday Telegraph there is an interview with director JJ Abrams by Vicky Roach. Roach comments that Harrison’s use of a bomb parallels to the recent Boston bombings and Abrams responded by saying:
“I’d argue it is also one of the reasons we go to the movies – to look at our lives, to ask questions about things we are trying to figure out, to find ways to make some sense of these things.”
Old 10-05-2013, 10:30 AM

Star Trek Into Darkness:
[Highlight for below]
Doctor Who alum Noel Clarke appears early on in this movie and he does not have much to do, in fact he has only one line, but he does become the catalyst for the main plot of the film.
Christine Chapel gets a reference here. She was the character played by the late Gene Roddenberry’s late widow Majel Barrett and apparently, as I don’t exactly remember, a nurse of that name had appeared in the previous movie but had dialogue off-screen.
Admiral Marcus is played by Peter Weller. At first I thought he was going to be on the desk admiral, that is one who was going to have minimal involvement with the movie, until it turn out that the admiral is typical of the characters that I have seen Weller played elsewhere.
Alice Eve plays Admiral Marcus’ daughter Carol and the character of Carol Marcus had appeared before in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan when she was played by Bibi Besch. In fact Carol Marcus was not the only thing that this film had in common with Wrath of Khan as John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch) revealed that he is Khan himself.
With the revelation of Khan and his Eugenics brethren, Star Trek Into Darkness truly felt like a semi-remake of Wrath of Khan even to the point that Spock spoke to his older self, once more played by Leonard Nimoy as the older Spock told of his own experiences with Khan.
For Nimoy his latest appearance as Spock marked 49 years since he first played him in the original pilot The Cage in 1964.
Also the saving of the Enterprise from destruction was in the same manner that was shown in Wrath of Khan only this time it was Kirk, not Spock, that cops it. However he is soon brought back to life. In the time that I thought Kirk was dead I thought that Star Trek XIII, if there is one, was going to be called The Search For Kirk as opposed to The Search for Spock for Star Trek III.
Star Trek Into Darkness began with slow momentum with its opening sequence only for things to build rapidly when Harrison, ultimately revealed to be Khan, turned up.
Quite thrilling when after thinking Kirk was dead that Spock chased and fought Khan.
Noticed in the credits that Chris Hemsworth and Jennifer Morrison were credited for playing Kirk’s parents but they only did that in the previous film and were nowhere to be seen in this one.
Old 18-05-2013, 11:50 AM

Star Wreck V: Lost Contact:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GZ1vyJkcTM

Fifth in the Star Wreck film series.
This one is a parody of Star Trek: First Contact and a cameo on a character based on DS9’s Benjamin Sisko.
Not bad in its amusement including an in-joke that was made of a 1960s sci fi series (wonder what it was alluding to).
Old 27-05-2013, 06:56 PM

Star Wreck 4.5: Weak Performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF1PHMfW3_8

Sixth film in the Star Wreck film series.
Made after Star Wreck V: Lost Contact but as indicated in the title takes place between IV and V.
Quite fun little film which includes Pirk being in the holodeck for some of the time when the ship was under attack by the Romuclans but the use of flatulence in the post-end credit scene is not something I like to think about.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:06 PM

Star Trek Continues

Pilgrim of Eternity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-ziTBAkbQ

Pilgrim of Eternity is the first episode of the fan made web series Star Trek Continues that continues the adventures of Captain Kirk and crew after the original series.
Among the new actors for familiar characters included Chris Doohan, son of original Scotty actor James Doohan with Chris playing his father’s old role.
Pilgrim of Eternity is a sequel to Who Mourns for Adonais? from the original series with Michael Forest reprising his role as Apollo.
Even though the crew last saw Apollo a couple of years previously, Apollo has aged decades in his appearance which is a reflection of the fact that how long Forest has aged since he last played the character.
This has been a pretty good sequel providing a redemption to Apollo.
Old 15-06-2013, 04:52 PM

Star Wreck Asskicker I: Wrong Course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rDV2-wdEBs

Star Wreck Asskicker is the spin-off of the Star Wreck film series.
This opening film in the spin-off series is not bad although I did not find the resolution to be particularly great.
Old 16-06-2013, 09:08 AM

Star Trek: Phase II

Blood and Fire Part 1:
Episode 4.
The first episode that has come under the series’ change of name from New Voyages to Phase II.
Co-written and directed by David Gerrold who originally wrote this for The Next Generation but was accepted for that series due to its allegory with AIDS. Star Trek eventually had a TV episode that had an allegory with AIDS in the Enterprise episode Stigma but this seems to be somewhat unrelated to the Gerrold script.
In this adaptation of Blood and Fire we meet Kirk’s nephew Peter who is an ensign on his ship and is in a gay man who is about to be married.
Quite a thrilling opening episode to this story with the menace that was found on a ship that the Enterprise found.
Old 16-06-2013, 10:39 AM

Star Trek Continues

You’ve Got The Conn:
Second vignette.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDLnFkFjO0U

Quite fun of just Sulu, Chekov and Uhura on the bridge speculating of what it would like being in command of a starship and this ends with some encouraging words from Kirk.
Old 25-06-2013, 11:51 AM

From IMDb:
Richard Matheson has passed away.
Born on February 20 1926, Richard Matheson was a famous author in the fantasy, horror and science fiction genres.
Matheson wrote one episode of Star Trek with the original series episode The Enemy Within.

His long list of work included The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Twilight Zone, The Omega Man, I Am Legend (novel which was adapted twice to the big screen as The Omega Man & I Am Legend), Duel, Ray Bradbury’s The Martian Chronicles, Jaws 3-D, Steven Spielberg Amazing Stories & A Stir of Echoes (novel which became the movie Stir of Echoes).
Matheson also found time to appear in front of camera including playing a Senator in The Godfather Part II.
Richard Matheson died on June 23 2013 at the age of 87.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:21 AM

The short-lived Quark TV series had some episodes that were a parody on episodes of the original Star Trek.
Saw the first of these episodes The Old and The Beautiful which is a parody on the Star Trek episode The Deadly Years which saw some members of the crew growing old rapidly due to a disease.
In The Old and The Beautiful, the series title character Adam Quark became the victim of the same kind of disease.