Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 03-01-2011, 06:23 AM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
The End of Time Part 2 reruns on ABC1 on Sunday January 9 5:30pm.

ABC1 reran Part 1 on Sunday January 2 5:30pm.

The DVD release for both parts of The End of Time was labeled The 2009 Winter Specials and the DVD catalogue states that David Tennant’s tenure as 2005-2009. All this is not totally correct.
Only Part 1 is the 2009 Winter Special and David Tennant’s tenure technically ended in 2010 as Part 2 was shown on January 1 2010.
Obviously someone made the mistake of thinking the first day of 2010 was part of 2009.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:11 AM

Hornets' Nest Chapter 5 - Hive of Horror:
Hive of Horror is the conclusion to the Hornetsí Nest story featuring the Fourth Doctor and Captain Yates.
After the dramatic cliffhanger to the previous chapter A Sting In The Tale it unremarkably gets resolved here by a single piece of dialogue. Pretty much like how the Tenth Doctor TV episode The Sound of Drums resolved the cliffhanger to Utopia.
The Doctor, Mike Yates and Mrs Wibbsey makes their journey to the hornetsí hive and its location was quite bizarre. There they encounter the hornetsí queen. Rula Lenska had played the Swarm in A Sting In The Tale, here in Hive of Horror she is the Queen.
Neat wrap up of the Hornetsí Nest story including why Mike Yates got to meet the Fourth Doctor.
Amusing the reason the Doctor gave the dog the Captain to Mike instead of taking the dog with him on his travels.
Overall the Hornetsí Nest has been a very very good comeback story for the Fourth Doctor.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:23 AM

Death Deals A Hand:
Fineline Productions produces fan made Doctor Who audios and their releases are available for download for free at their website:
http://www.westlakefilms.co.uk/fineline.html

The first of their stories is Death Deals A Hand:
http://www.westlakefilms.co.uk/deathhand.html

Written by Gareth Preston.
Playing the Doctor is Adrian Hudson.
The story involves a card game and people of London.
It took a second listen to get the gist of what's going on and overall it is an OK start to this series of audio stories.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:06 AM

DoctorWhoNews.com has indicated on its site that Doctor Who season 36 will be fasttracked to ABC1 as it has a picture of the Doctor wearing a Stetson as seen in the trailer with the following words:
“Coming Soon…Autumn 2011 ABC1”

Doctor Who seasons usually begins in March or April and Autumn in Australia is March to May.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:17 AM

From DoctorWhoNews.com:
The Neil Gaiman episode which is 36.3 and directed by Richard Clark will guest star Adrian Schiller as Uncle and Elizabeth Berrington as Auntie.

They will join Suranne Jones who is playing the character Idris.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:33 AM

I have just been informed that Stuart Milligan guest stars in the opening two-parter of season 36 which takes place in the States.

Milligan had previously appeared in Doctor Who in the Sixth Doctor Big Finish audio story The Reaping & the Tenth Doctor animated story Dreamland.

Outside of Doctor Who he has portrayed Adam Klaus in Jonathan Creek.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:38 AM

Circular Time - Winter:
The final chapter of the Circular Time audio story released by Big Finish Productions in January 2007.
Featuring the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa and written by Paul Cornell and Mike Maddox.
Winter takes place years after Nyssa ended her travels with the Doctor. Now married with a daughter Nyssa suddenly finds herself reunited with her old friend, the Doctor.
How the Doctor is reunited with Nyssa seems bizarre to starts but eventually makes sense as Winter progresses.
The narrative of Winter fits in well with one of the TV stories (to say which one is telling for those who have not yet listened to Winter).
I will however say that it does feature a cameo by Kamelion despite the fact that original actor Gerald Flood had died in 1989. Big Finish usually avoids recasting characters that had been played by deceased actors but since Kamelion was a shape shifting android Big Finish was able to make an exception to this directive.
After all in his TV appearances Kamelion had changed his appearance to look like other characters so why not do the same for his audio cameo here in Winter.
Unlike Andrew, Nyssa’s love interest in the previous chapter Autumn I did not find Lasarti (Jeremy James), Nyssa’s husband here in Winter to be an impressive character.
Ironically I actually thought that Jeremy James had played Andrew in Autumn before finding out that he was played by Jamie Sandford.
I would not say that Winter matches the level of greatness but it does make for a good coda chronologically speaking for the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:40 PM

The Terry Nation Story:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._Nation_Story/

This documentary from BBC Radio Wales looks at the career of Terry Nation which of course included creating the Daleks for Doctor Who.
However the Daleks only makes up part of this documentary as it looks at other work he has done including The Avengers, The Saint, The Persuaders, The Baron as well as his own creations Survivors & Blake's 7.

Either recorded specifically for this documentary or archived elsewhere are interviews with Terry Nation himself,
his widow Kate, Carolyn Seymour (Survivors), Sir Roger Moore (The Saint, The Persuaders), Gareth Thomas (Blake's 7), Nation's former agent Beryl Vertue, who is the mother-in-law of current Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat, first Doctor Who producer Verity Lambert, Doctor Who director Pennant Roberts who had directed episodes of Survivors including the first, ITC producer Johnny Goodman, Ninth Doctor Chris Eccleston and former Doctor Who showrunner Russell T Davies.

The Who bits is adequately presented but would already be familiar to Doctor Who fans including how Terry Nation got to work on Doctor Who and how Genesis of the Daleks came about.

The non-Who bits should be fascinating to those who did not know these facts before.

When Terry Nation wrote Planet of the Daleks it was virtually a remake of the first Dalek story. However as mentioned here reworking a script was something he did before but as a transplant from one TV series The Saint to The Baron.

The documentary provides a good balance between the Who and non-Who parts making it a good listen.

The presence of Carolyn Seymour and Roger Moore is perhaps the closest these two actors would come to appear in Doctor Who.
It certainly was a delight to hear for the first time Roger Moore actually mentioning the Daleks.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:27 AM

Thinking Allowed - Doctor Who:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x41nd

This episode of BBC Radio 4's Thinking Allowed discusses pollitical content in Doctor Who. The Doctor Who discussion starts 13 minutes into the show.

The discussions here makes for interesting listening. However aside from Daleks being the representation of Nazis, not quite sure whether to agree with everything that is being said in this discussion.

Season 36:
The Matthew Graham story directed by Julian Simpson will guest star Sarah Smart (who had played Peter Davison's daughter in At Home With the Braithwaites), Leon Vickers and Mark Bonnar.

Sarah Smart is not the first of Peter Davison's co-stars to appear in the Whoniverse as Judy Holt made a cameo in Doctor Who as Adam's mum in season 31's The Long Game, Julie Graham was in the final story of SJA season 4, Goodbye, Sarah Jane Smith and before them Sylvia Syms was in Doctor Who season 26's Ghost Light and Lynda Bellingham from season 23's The Trial of A Time Lord.

Last edited by Matt See; 07-01-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:42 AM

It looks like that ABC1 is rerunning Doctor Who season 35 as the season opener The Eleventh Hour is scheduled to be shown on Sunday January 16 5:30pm.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/abc1/...m=Doctor%20Who

However the entire season may not be shown at that timeslot on ABC1 due to the fact that repeats of At The Movies is usually shown on Sundays 6pm and new episodes of At The Movies starts next month February.