Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 15-09-2019, 08:49 PM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield: The Revolution:
The Revolution is the first episode of The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield.
Written by Nev Fountain.
Nicola Bryant (Peri) appears here as a different character in Professor Geller and what an amusing character this was.
Benny is reunited with the Seventh Doctor with them on the run due to her wanted for a crime against science.
What ensues includes raining frogs and the revelation of the planet in question.
No doubt it was flattering for Sylvester McCoy when the Doctor is thought of as the scientific equivalent of a supermodel!
The way the villain met his end was surprising and I saw something similar in Veronica Mars 4.4 Heads You Lose.
A fun way to start The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield and I think I listened to a story with just the Doctor and Benny without Ace. The Doctor would reveal why Ace was absent.
The Revolution definitely made very good use of just the Doctor and Benny together.
Old 15-09-2019, 09:31 PM

Sheila Steafel has passed away.

Born on May 26 1935, Sheila Steafel appeared in Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. playing Young Woman.
She was also in Quatermass and the Pit playing Journalist.

Her other work included Danger Man, Catch Me a Spy, The Goodies,Keep It in the Family, SuperTed, The Mrs Bradley Mysteries, The 10th Kingdom & Shakespeare & Hathaway: Private Investigators.

She died on August 23 2019 at the age of 84.
Old 18-09-2019, 07:28 PM

The War Master: Only the Good: The Good Master:
Second episode of Only the Good.
Written by Janine H. Jones.
Featuring Jonny Green as Cole Jarnish.
Only the Good including The Good Master was released in December 2017, months after the release of the two sets of Torchwood: Aliens Among Us in which Green played Tyler Steele.
Green as Cole in The Good Master ends up becoming a companion of the Master.
No doubt Big Finish was being humourous in having Green both associated with Torchwood and as a companion of the Master.
Writer Jones had earlier written for Aliens Among Us with the episode Zero Hour which had Green dominate the episode as Tyler.
The Good Master also features Jacob Dudman as Arcking 12 Computer.
Subseqent to this Dudman performed Doctors for Big Finish.
In The Good Master, the Master uses the alias Dr Keller and he prevlously used the name Keller in The Mind of Evil.
Intriguing start to The Good Master with the Daleks attacking a ship with Cole on it.
Also very intriguing was when the Heart turned up and revealed the person the Master is.
The Daleks came to Arcking to look for the Master which resulted in people being killed by them.
Phila asked the Master if people would not have been killed if he did not come to Arcking.
It is the same question that Joan asked the Doctor in The Family of Blood where people got killed by the Family in their search of the Doctor.

The Good Master is very good including the Heart being very spooky.
Old 23-09-2019, 10:00 PM

The Crowmarsh Experiment:
The Crowmarsh Experiment is the second story of the seventh season of The Fourth Doctor Adventures.
Featuring Leela.
Written by David Llewellyn.
A fascinating story when on an alien world the Doctor and Leela faced an attack and Leela found herself in the Crowmarsh Institute on Earth where everyone is calling her Doctor Marshall.
As well as playing the Doctor, Tom Baker also got played another character in Dr Stewart.
A solid story in which Louise Jameson did very well in carrying as Leela as she tried to makes sense of the Crowmarsh Institute.
Old 24-09-2019, 12:00 AM

4 x 30 - The Macra Terror Episode 4 (animated):
Enthralling conclusion.
Funny when Jamie does the Highland Fling to get away from the cheerleaders but gets caught by Ola and his guards.
What a moment when the Doctor showed Pilot the Macras.
Impressive on Ben being back to his old self and helps in defeating the Macra.
There is a noticeable difference with the ending in this the animated version to the original episode.
The original episode had the Doctor and his companions doing their Highland Fling escape after Ben told the Doctor that the colonists were going to make the Doctor their next Pilot but the animated version omits the Highland Fling escape and ends with a shot of the Colony after Ben tells the Doctor the said news.
Evidently the animators could not make the group Highland Fling work.

Last edited by Matt See; 24-09-2019 at 02:00 AM.
Old 25-09-2019, 05:19 PM

Terrance D(i)cks has passed away.

Born on April 14 1935, D(i)cks is a legend to Doctor Who fans with his long standing contribution to Doctor Who which included a stint as script editor between 1969 and 1974.

D(i)cks first came on Doctor Who in 1968 as assistant script editor before elevated to script editor the following year.

In his early tenure as script editor he extensively re-written The Seeds of Death uncredited before getting his writing credit for the programme when he co-wrote with Malcolm Hulke the ten-part Patrick Troughton swansong The War Games.

D(i)cks then continued as script editor for the entirety of the Jon Pertwee era before stepping down at the same time with producer Barry Letts.

Afterwards he wrote the Tom Baker debut story Robot.

He wrote further Tom Baker stories with Horror of Fang Rock & State of Decay.

Also for Tom Baker he wrote but not credited under his name The Brain of Morbius as he wasn't happy doing rewrites requested by him from his successor as script editor Robert Holmes.

D(i)cks requested that the story be credited "under some bland pseudonym" and hence the pseudonym Robin Bland was used.

D(i)cks later said in an interview that when he did the eventual Brain of Morbius novelisation he had no temptation to write it the way he originally wanted to and wrote it the way the viewer remembered it on TV.

After the Tom Baker era he wrote his final story for the programme with the 20th anniversary story The Five Doctors but this did not mark the end of his Doctor Who writings.

Long before The Five Doctors became his Doctor Who TV swansong, thingys had written for Doctor Who outside of the TV series.

It started when he wrote his first book (with Hulke) The Making of Doctor Who, a non-fiction book that look at the production of Doctor Who.

With non-TV Doctor Who fiction he wrote the stage plays Doctor Who and the Daleks in the Seven Keys to Doomsday and Doctor Who - The Ultimate Adventure, both of which were later adapted on audio by Big Finish Productions.

For his Doctor Who work outside the production of the TV series he was well known for writing 70% of the Doctor Who novelisations by Target Books.

His work on the Doctor Who novelisations saw him become a writer of children's fiction and earn him the nickname of Uncle Terrance.

In the 1990s and the 2000s he wrote original Doctor Who and related novels, three for the Seventh Doctor and then one for Bernice Summerfield's solo adventures for The New Adventures from Virgin Publishing and then the Eighth Doctor Adventures and Past Doctor Adventures for BBC Books.

While D(i)cks was not involved with the TV production of NuWho, he did however wrote two tie-in books both featuring the Tenth Doctor and Martha.

Still within the realm of NuWho, he wrote the novelisation of the first Sarah Jane Adventures episode Invasion of the Bane.

As well as Big Finish adapting his two stage plays, D(i)cks also wrote original stories for them with Comeback, the first episode of the Sarah Jane Smith series and Beyond the Ultimate Adventure, the sequel to The Ultimate Adventure as well as a Bernice Summerfield short story A Mutual Friend.

D(i)cks' last piece of Doctor Who fiction Save Yourself, a short story in Doctor Who: The Target Storybook will be published posthumously by BBC Books in October 2019.

Outside of the Whoniverse, his work included The Avengers, Moonbase 3 (which he co-created with Letts concurrent to working on Doctor Who), Space: 1999, The Hound of the Baskervilles starring Fourth Doctor actor Tom Baker as Sherlock Holmes and produced by Letts & The Invisible Man produced by Letts.

With The Avengers he wrote four episodes all co-written with Hulke, the first of which The Mauritius Penny, he would later reused ideas from this episode in Doctor Who in Robot.

He died on August 29 2019 at the age of 84.
Old 26-09-2019, 08:27 PM

UNIT: Shutdown: Death in Geneva:
Second episode of Shutdown.
Absolutely enthralling episode with Geneva as the main setting.
Kate makes a comment about redecoration and it is akin to the same thing that a Doctor says about the TARDIS by a successor of his.
Pretty good than when we were introduced to General Avary there was an impression that he was a villain before firmly being presented as an ally of Kate's.
Surprising on hearing the TARDIS as Osgood's ring tone.
When Osgood uncover the face of the Tengobushi made me think of a similar scene in Re-Animator when my beautiful and very naked wife Barbara Crampton uncovered the face of her adversary.
Excellent cliffhanger as it leads in to the next episode The Battle of the Tower, the said tower being the Tower of London.

At the same time as I was listening to Death in Geneva, I saw Highlander 5.15 The Stone of Scone which coincidentally had the Tower of London playing pivotal role in the episode.
Old 29-09-2019, 02:42 AM

Doctor Puppet Commentary - Thanks For The Stars:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ua1P4Uel6Q
Old 29-09-2019, 06:07 PM

Jago & Litefoot: The Bellova Devil:
The Bellova Devil is the second episode of the first season of Jago & Litefoot.
Written by Alan Barnes.
This episode introduced Dr Sacker a new colleague of Litefoot who has proved an irritation to him.
This episode has Jago in disguises but he is hardly a master of it including difficulty speaking through his fake beard.
Fascinating that it culminates with The Far-Off Travellers Club and the shocking revelation of its true purpose plus the later revelation of another villain.
Old 29-09-2019, 08:54 PM

Saw the first episode of Years and Years written and created by former Doctor Who showrunner Russell T. Davies and this series's idea was one he originally came up for Torchwood: Children of Earth but found no room for it there.

This stars Emma Thompson as Vivienne Rook and Davies used this name before for the ill-fated journalist in Doctor Who: The Sound of Drums.

While Doctor Who is not mentioned by name, Davies did put in references that Doctor Who fans could easily pick up as it had Grandma being told that she did not look a day over 900. 900 was the Doctor's age when Davies was running Doctor Who.

Also the scarf that one of the kids wore looks remarkably like the Tom Baker one.