Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > Travel & Tourism Discussion

Travel & Tourism Discussion You are welcome to post questions, stories or experience travelling in Papua New Guinea.

Old 09-10-2003, 11:27 PM

Jim is on a distinguished road
Thinking of visiting Port Moresby

Way back in 1973, at the age of 13, I spent a month in Port Moresby staying with my grandfather. The trip has always stayed with me and been a very good memory, plus it was a pretty big deal I guess travelling there from Sydney on my own at a young age. I was very close to my grandfather, unfortunately he passed away in 1977.

My grandad was a foreman / mechanic at the Port Moresby Bus Company(?), and his name was Jim too, he was also known as Harry. After a few years he moved to a different job in Mt Hagen I think, not sure exactly what he was doing there. I remember his house in Port Moresby being on the side of a large hill / mountain, a little bit out of town, and overlooking the main bay / harbour where the cruise ships would dock. I also recall swimming in the bay with large tropical fish all around us.

I've wanted to go back to Port Moresby and visit again but I've been put off by reports in the Australian press about the rascal gangs etc. I imagine its quite a different place now to how I remember it. All the roads were dirt when I was there, no TV, and one radio station I think. Browsing through this site it seems the dangers are hyped up a bit by the media. I think I'll plan to visit maybe in early 2004 (after 30 years its about time).

Can anyone point me to a site where I can find a detailed street map etc of Port Moresby? I'd like to try and figure out where we went swimming so long ago, and also figure out where my grandads house was and maybe find it, if its still there. Another place we went to was the Koke(?) or Koki(?) markets? Has anyone heard of these and do they still exist?

Any general tips on Port Moresby would also be most helpful. Is it safe / recommended to rent a car and drive yourself around? What are the areas in town to avoid?

Thanks for any advice. Regards, Jim.

Last edited by Jim; 10-10-2003 at 12:54 AM.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 22-10-2003, 10:26 AM
lean and keen ;)

muppie is on a distinguished road
Hi Jim,

The place where you can overlook the bay and see the ship docking has now become prime real estate area.. ie expensive houses / rents. It is probably now regarded as "in town" too

The roads are here now but still sucks lots of pot holes and all. As for swimming, not sure where - you can ask people at the Dive Centre they can tell you where to go swimming in and around Port Moresby.

Site with detailed street map... I don't think I've seen one.... a mapping company sells one CD with street map but not online....

Koke / Koki (I'm not sure of the correct spelling myself) is still here.. in fact it's getting a renovation just recently (probably still haven't finished it just like everything else in PNG). They sell lots of fish and stuff here so I heard... I am being a hermit never stick my head outside my room...

Have a look at this thread... might give you some tips about PNG today
http://www.pngbd.com/forum/t2549s.html

Old 22-10-2003, 11:46 PM

Jim is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply and the link muppie Theres a lot of great info there from aussie. I'm not sure about visiting but I will think about it some more, I'm reading the Lonely Planet guide to PNG at the moment. I'll probably be going to Cairns again soon and I might visit PNG from there when I go. Thanks again!
Old 23-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Hello there,

Port Moresby is pretty much the same as when you left but you are right when you say you have to be more careful nowadays.

What I suggest is that you can still visit, why not, if you would like a trip down memory lane.

I would then suggest you stay at a hotel and instead of hiring a motor vehicle, why not contact Corporate Transport and ask them to drive you around or a few hours.

It works out around K30 per hour and in a small place you can see quite a bit.

Besides to hire a motor vehicle would cost you more by the time you added the cost of insurance, hire etc.

If you are interested, send me a private message and I will let you know how to contact them.

After all on the plus side.....if it was really as bad as people think outside of Port Moresby, why on earth would all of us still be living here.

Its also one of the reasons I commenced this website to be able to put some positive feedback out there in the market place and for people like yourself to ask questions from someone like muppie and myself who actually live here.
Old 21-01-2005, 06:17 PM

gofowad is on a distinguished road
Visiting Port Moresby

Dear Aussie,

I saw your recommendation of Corporate Transport for getting around Port Moresby and I'd love to know how to contact them when we get there if they're still the best option.

Also - what would be your recommendation of a fairly budget place to stay with a lot of expensive equipment that we need to keep secure?

Thanks for your advice!
Old 21-01-2005, 06:31 PM

gofowad is on a distinguished road
Flag Gateway Hotel

Also, does anyone recommend the Flag Gateway Hotel? I found some pretty good rates on hotels.com.
Old 20-07-2007, 11:31 PM

Spook is on a distinguished road
Jim wrote."I also recall swimming in the bay with large tropical fish all around us."
I can't say for certain but I'd say where you went swimming was a place called Idlers bay, It fits your descripion. It is around the other side of Halifax harbour. Or Steamships Harbour as it was locally known then.
As for maps / street directories good luck haven't had any luck myself. Google earth is the best I have come up with so far.

Last edited by Spook; 21-07-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 24-07-2007, 02:07 PM

kekeni 42 is on a distinguished road
visiting Port Moresby

Hi there jim i don't know when you thinking of visiting port moresby or you may already have. i was born in 1965 and lived in a village call Hanuabada,ever heard of it? I think i know where your grandfather used to live. It might have been at Touaguba hills or at paga point or maybe new town. Those where the places the white people use to live.

And as for koki markets it's very diffrent now,you no longer buy fresh fish from there anymore. And also for idlers bay, never heard of it. but i think you mean bootles bay and it's only about an hour drive from the city. it's Or otherswise you went swimming down at ela beach,that's if you were living around port moresby city.

If you like i can get some informations on where your grandfather used to live because my family own alot of land around that area.
i don't think you'll be able to find a map for that location, but my famliy do.

this is my email address if you interested, hsammon@bigpond.com
i also live in sdyney. hope to hear from you.
Old 26-07-2007, 10:36 AM

zkrid1 is on a distinguished road
Where to start?

Can anyone give me some advise on where is a must see in PNG? I have 1-2 weeks travel time in early October, am keen to see as much of the 'real' PNG as possible (sitting in an resort is not my style) however I will be travelling solo so am cautious

I have been researching and there is so much I want to take in - I just don't know where to start!

Any help greastly appreciated!

Zoe
Old 04-10-2016, 10:53 PM

djoe0635 is on a distinguished road
Admitting things this way and keeping it all very helpful in a manner that brings a lot is the way a lot for it would move.
Certain areas are quite appealing with it.