Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Port Moresby

Old 05-04-2011, 04:16 PM

bigdada is on a distinguished road
Australian citizenship by birth in PNG

My application for Resumption of Australian Citizenship was granted on April 2009. I applied based on these grounds: I was born in Arawa Bougainville on March 14, 1974, my birth certificate was registered in Port Moresby and it bears a Australian Coat of Arms, Territory of Papua and New Guinea. It took almost 3 years to process the application. I studied and lived in Australia until I graduated college in 1993.

When I obtained my Australian Citizenship, I applied for my son to acquire Australian Citizenship as well, through Citizenship by Conferral (since I was not an Australian Citizen yet at the time of his birth). My son's application was denied and the reason being: I have not proven that I was ever an Australian Citizen. We appealed the case to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal and we have our last hearing this coming May 02, 2011.

I have to prove that: Independent of my grant of citizenship by resumption, I have acquired Australian citizenship having been born in New Guinea on March 14, 1974. The opposing counsel is arguing that those born in Bougainville (which is part of New Guinea), not being part of the Territory of Papua, are not automatically granted Australian citizenship.

I have argued that when the Australian Department of Citizenship and Immigration granted my application for Resumption of Australian Citizenship, they must have exhaustively studied and considered my application and have found something there to merit a grant of citizenship. Unfortunately, I could not find any materials from my research that could help the case of my son.

Thus, I have posted this thread to seek help from the other members here who might have encountered similar problems and know the solution or can refer some helpful materials. Are there any rules and regulations implemented by Australia and PNG with regard to those born in PNG and whose birth are registered in the Australian Registry?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Alvin
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals