Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Port Moresby

Old 03-06-2010, 11:45 PM

emonkey is on a distinguished road
Talking Moving to Moresby with a 1 year old

Hello Everyone,

Many many thanks to Aussie and other regular contributors to this forum! You've given us the courage to take the plunge and sign on for a 1-2 year stint in Pt Moresby! Now we'll hold you all accountable if anything goes wrong

We've taken on board the message of taking a cautious and careful planning approach to daily life. We've also been able to speak to some expats who either live in POM or have there recently, which has been very useful.

I've been to PNG before, but never to Moresby. I stayed for a month in Enga province in 2006 as a med student in a regional hospital. It was AMAZING! However, it was so idyllic and security was such a non-issue that I'm afraid I've got a mistaken idea about PNG from this experience!

I still have a couple of questions, wondering if anyone could help answer...

1. Are we completely mental to be bringing our very active 1 year old?
Our families certainly seem to think so.

2. What is the quality of childcare like? Are there formal childcare centres or is it all in house nannies etc. Do any nannies have any kind of qualifications? Are they generally ok? What sort of costs are involved?

3. My husband has a job awaiting him. I'm going on a dependent visa. I'm a doctor here in Australia. I imagine it shouldn't be too hard for me to find part time work if we can find suitable childcare. Is it hard to switch from a dependent visa to a work visa?

4. At the moment I work 2 days per week. On my days at home with our baby, I like to get out and about. Take her for walks, go to the market, go to the library, go to the park... My husband's company policy seems to be that we have to have a driver and can't own a car. Do you think we'll be able to get out of the house during the day? How safe would it be to walk around say the markets or the botanic gardens if we had a driver with us? Are we going to run out of places to go?? Are there many expats with young kids?

5. What's the medical care like? Are there GPs? Also, another baby is not entirely off the cards while we're over there. Does anyone get their pregnancy care in POM or do they fly home for it? Is this a completely insane idea?

Thanks in advance! Appreciate any and all advice!
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 04-06-2010, 01:27 AM

Doc Savage is on a distinguished road
not insane just be careful

I found out that like you out in the sticks is best you get on with the people they get on with you say hi to everyone smile will always get you though. I found the only ones that got into trouble were the sour face fools that think they are better than the rest. Treat the wonderful PNG people like you want to be treated yourself like anywhere there are one or two dopes that spoilt it for the normal PNG folk. I married a girl from the coastal region and coming back soon. Rather bring kids up in the tropics than the west to much stress for me. No stress in PNG makes all the difference to any life style. Enjoy it while PNG remains as it is before the western world buggers it up.

Doc
Old 04-06-2010, 10:23 AM

Hi Tony, thanks for the advice!
You've hit the nail on the head re the company! ha ha!
Unfortunately it seems to be a case of play by the rules or go home, we'll see how it goes when we get there

Thanks Doc for your input too! It's true, a smile goes a long way
Old 08-08-2010, 06:34 PM

palmdreams is on a distinguished road
I don't think you're crazy! We are flying up shortly for my husband's work and will most likely be moving to POM by the end of September!

We have two girls, 3 1/2 years old and 2 years old. We have only told a few people as we know there will be some negative reactions.

I figure that everywhere in the world has it's security challenges. My thinking is that you need to adapt to live in whatever situation you find yourself.

I currently live in the leafy northern suburbs of Sydney... supposedly up-market and safe. Well, a poor family was murdered in their beds not 10 minutes away last year! It can happen anywhere.

I haven't been to PNG yet and am so looking forward to my visit. My oldest friend currently lives in FNQ with her partner who is a PNG man.

I'd love to hear how you have settled in, if you decided to move. And from anyone else over there who wants to say hi!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:34 AM

Hi palmdreams!

Thanks, nice to hear someone else in the same boat

Well, we're not actually there yet. Things have been delayed a couple of times and we're still waiting on the visas. We hope to be over there late August/early September now.

I'll send you a private message with my email address. Hopefully we can catch up when we're over there!

Cheers
Old 25-10-2010, 07:05 PM

Onthemove is on a distinguished road
HI ,
I am moving to Port Moresby in December , My husband has been on a fly in/out basis for the last two years , and has just signed up for 2 more . As we are European and have no ties in Cairns the kids and I are going to join him .

I have been on several visits and am well aware of any security challenges , my main question is , has anyone had or know of anyone who had a baby over there. I am due no 3 in March 2011.I could of course return to Cairns to have baby , but this is more involved , medical visas and passport for baby with the nearest consulate in Brisbane , and a potential 2 month separation from my older kids .

I did visit the private hospitals on my last trip and the DR`s all seem perfectly capable I am sure if it was a straightforward birth all would be fine , I did not see any neo natal care unit , so this may be a concern .

If anyone has any information ?
Thanks

Last edited by Onthemove; 25-10-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: forgot a sentance !
Old 26-10-2010, 09:28 PM

palmdreams is on a distinguished road
Hi there,

I am yet to arrive in POM on a permanent basis but did visit in August and this was on my list of questions.

I was told by a long term expat that if you have had straightforward pregnancies, then you should be fine. I was also told that they don't do epidurals, elective c-sections and that a c-section is only a last resort and is done under a general anaesthetic.

All of this may be untrue, but I thought I'd write what I was told and keep your post alive! I'm also interested in this as a third child is a possibility for us.

Hope this helps or prompts someone else to post.
Old 27-10-2010, 09:55 AM

Onthemove is on a distinguished road
Thanks Palmdreams,

Thats kind of my problem .I had an emergency C section at 34 weeks on no 1 and a VBAC on no 2 .
So unfortunatly Im a bit more high risk than that .

I am yet to arrive there yet but should be there for the start of next school year .
I would have thought if you go for the third that you would be fine to have all your care in POM its just the decision on the birth .

Hopefully someone can point us in the right direction 1
Old 17-12-2010, 12:35 PM

BabyGroupie is on a distinguished road
Smile Baby Group - Port Moresby.

Hi Emonkey, OnTheMove and Palmdreams.
I'm the coordinator of the Port Moresby Baby Group for ExPat Mums.
We have about 40 members, all with babies and children under the age of 4, who live within a 5 minute drive from each other. We meet weekly(often more frequently) for a coffee and a gossip. We help each other with baby advice and keep each other sane in this "unique" location. We very quickly become close friends and are each others family over here.
We have new mums arriving all the time and sadly say farewell to our friends on a regular basis too. We look forward to meeting you all, and your kids when you arrive.
In regards to having your baby over here. Don't! We have 4 brand spankers in our group at the moment and all the mums went home to have them. Being pregnant here is fine, but you wouldn't want to have your baby here. There isn't the facilities if something goes wrong. I don't know the actual statistics - but too many babies and mothers die during childbirth in this country - too high to risk it. Try to get the flights / accomodation etc for the birth included in your contracts. If you were pregnant at the time of recruitment then you might be able to wrangle this......
We were employed when I was pregnant with our second daughter, I chose to stay in Australia for the first 6 months with the 2 girls while my husband started work over here. That said, you can bring your new born back to POM without too much drama. You want to fly back to Oz for the immunisations though. Most of us don't get them over here.
Also, some doctors will tell you that you don't need to get your baby vaccinated for TB - you do. It is a painless, free and easy thing to do. There is a TB clinic in Cairns, Brisbane and Gold Coast (I dont know about the other states but I'm sure they exist). They can have the vaccine at birth so it can be done straight away - it is a live virus so needs to be done on the same day as the other vaccines though... make sure you remember this. Get all your kids vaccinated for TB - its a nasty little virus if they get it and so easily prevented.
With regards to Malaria - I dont know anyone that takes anti malaria medication..... Unless thier job / contract dictates they must. We just use spray when we know we might be at risk of mosquito bites. I have also used thiamine and Vitamin B doses to prevent being bitten. This has been successful for us.

I'll send the three of you a private message with my email address. feel free to contact me for any info, advice or to join our mailing list for Baby Group.
We look forward to meeting you and your bubs when you get here.
Cheers. Baby Groupie.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:28 PM

jessejames is on a distinguished road
Hello,

Just wondering if I could have your email address. We considering a move to Port Morseby with our 18mth old son and I load of questions.

Thanks in advance.