Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Health Issues

 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18-01-2005, 02:42 PM
***aCe*** ***aCe*** is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Port Moresby
Posts: 2,961
***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
HIV/AIDS Quarterly Report

National AIDS Council Secretariat And Department Of Health HIV/AIDS Quarterly Report - June 2004




Case reporting system for HIV/AIDS cases in Papua New Guinea

Introduction

National AIDS Council and Department of Health produces this report each quarter summarising HIV/AIDS surveillance data. It provides vital information on the number of infections detected from the first detected case in 1987 until the date of this report.

Both organizations are taking another major step forward in conducting more active surveillance in major sentinel sites to collect both behavioural and sero data for assessment of situations especially within low and high risk populations. Prevalence results of some of the surveillance conducted are highlighted in this report (Table 1.12).

Major findings of the report are presented in table forms and are supported with figures. A brief commentary is given highlighting important areas and their status. Explanatory footnotes are provided at the bottom of the figures to verify missing data, this is done because when included they tend to falsify data of other areas with lower case reports (see footnotes).
Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
  #2  
Old 18-01-2005, 02:44 PM
***aCe*** ***aCe*** is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Port Moresby
Posts: 2,961
***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
HIV/AIDS in Papua New Guinea, 1987 - 30/06/2004

Cumulative Totals

There has been 9851people diagnosed HIV/AIDS infection, 4876 (49%) in males, 4591 (47%) in females and 384 (4%) in individuals whose sex was not stated (Table 1.1, Figure 1.1). Of the 9851 individuals notified with HIV infection, 1854 presented with an AIDS defining illness at the time of diagnosis, 1277 people were classified with HIV infection, 6720 individuals remain unclassified and 353 deaths have been reported (Table 1.2). It should be noted that currently there is no formal AIDS or HIV/AIDS related deaths notification system in place. An AIDS diagnosis is made at the same time as the HIV diagnosis therefore; the number of AIDS cases and deaths documented in this report does not reflect an accurate account of AIDS cases reported.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18-01-2005, 02:45 PM
***aCe*** ***aCe*** is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Port Moresby
Posts: 2,961
***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
Estimations

The National Consensus Workshop held in year 2000 estimated a total number of HIV infected persons in Papua New Guinea was in the range of 10,000 to 15,000. (Estimates range of 5500 to 22000 depending on the lowest and highest prevalence rates used for estimates). Currently estimation of the number of individuals infected with HIV is expected to be much higher because the numbers of known HIV positive has been exponentially increasing every year since 2000. National AIDS Council Secretariat in collaboration with the Department of Health is preparing to conduct another consensus workshop to establish new estimates in November 2004.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18-01-2005, 02:47 PM
***aCe*** ***aCe*** is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Port Moresby
Posts: 2,961
***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
Provincial Status

Sixty one percent of the cases have been diagnosed in NCD while 17%, 6%, 4% and 3% of the cases have been reported from WHP, Morobe and EHP; and Enga and Simbu respectively; this probably reflects the testing practices in these provinces (Table 1.3, Figure 1.2). Province of origin is only reported in 24% of HIV cases reports while the remaining 76 % of cases province of origin is not known (table 1.4) Of the 24 % of known cases Gulf and Central provinces begin to shows increases while the highlands provinces shows continuos increase.

Regional statistics shows that higher rate of infection is detected in the Southern region than other regions. This reflects more testing practises in the regions especially within the National Capital District. From the available data, the statistics also shows that 63% of the reported cases with regions of origin are from highlands, while Southern, Momase, Islands and Expats have reported 25%, 8%, 4% and 1% respectively (refer to fig 1.10 and 1.11).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18-01-2005, 02:49 PM
***aCe*** ***aCe*** is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Port Moresby
Posts: 2,961
***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
Mode of Transmission

Mode of transmission of HIV/AIDS infection has not been indicated in 7220 (73%) individuals. Of the remaining 27% where mode of transmission was reported, heterosexual transmission accounted for 2475 (94%) cases and 145 (6%) cases are accounted in perinatal (Table1.5 and table 1.5).

Age Distribution

Age of individuals has not been recorded for 3887 (39%) cases notified. Of the remaining 61% the most common age at diagnosis in males was in the 25 34 year age group (23%). Of the women diagnosed, 42% were aged between 20 34 years. There are more males than females reported in all age groups except for the 15 29 year age groups where there are more females than males are reported (Tables 1.6, Figure 1.4).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18-01-2005, 02:54 PM
***aCe*** ***aCe*** is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Port Moresby
Posts: 2,961
***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
HIV/AIDS in Papua New Guinea, 01/04/2004 - 30/06/2004

New Cases

There were 436 HIV/AIDS new cases reported in the 2nd quarter of this year, both male and female reported 221 (51%) and 200 (46%) respectively; and 15 (3%) in individuals whose sex was not stated (Table 1.7). Age was not available for (32%) of cases notified. Of the remaining 68% of cases notified the most common age at diagnosis was in between 20 - 34 year age group for both male and female (Table1.8). NCD reported 175 cases (40%) during this period (Tables 1,7).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stat1.JPG (45.7 KB, 162 views)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18-01-2005, 03:01 PM
***aCe*** ***aCe*** is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Port Moresby
Posts: 2,961
***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
HIV/AIDS infection detected in Papua New Guinea, 1987 - 30/06/2004.

Figure 1.1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stat2.jpg (54.6 KB, 148 views)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18-01-2005, 03:06 PM
***aCe*** ***aCe*** is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Port Moresby
Posts: 2,961
***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
HIV/AIDS Cases detected in Papua New Guinea, 1987 - 30/06/2004

Attachment #3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stat3.jpg (48.2 KB, 149 views)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18-01-2005, 03:12 PM
***aCe*** ***aCe*** is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Port Moresby
Posts: 2,961
***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
Attachment # 4:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stat4.jpg (60.6 KB, 154 views)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18-01-2005, 03:16 PM
***aCe*** ***aCe*** is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Port Moresby
Posts: 2,961
***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
Attachment #5:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stat5.jpg (50.3 KB, 144 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HIV/AIDS Casts A Shadow Over PNG...........Should The Government Do More? meripng Health Issues 7 16-11-2013 06:16 PM
HIV/AIDS Quarterly Report PNG's Facts & Figures storm boy Site News 127 19-02-2009 09:32 AM
Hiv/aids Report storm boy Tok SAVE 18 23-12-2005 10:32 AM
Fight against HIV/AIDS, not people with AIDS ***aCe*** Tok SAVE 0 14-09-2004 03:20 PM
NCD AIDS Committee takes on fight against HIV/AIDS ***aCe*** Health Issues 2 17-03-2004 10:38 PM


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 07:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright© 2000-2015 Matryx Limited.
Hosted by Quadra Hosting