Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Port Moresby

Old 26-02-2009, 09:04 AM

Ajvan77 is on a distinguished road
Smile BroadBand Internet Access

Hi there folks, I will be moving up to Port Moresby soon and want to know if Broadband services are available?

Any suggestions on providers and solution types would be most appreciated.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 25-03-2010, 11:03 PM

Mausgras is on a distinguished road
Any chance of an update and a recommendation?

In Australia I get 5GB of wireless broadband for $30 a month. Best I can find for that price in PNG is about 100MB. That's 50 times the price! Anyone up there got anything useful yet affordable?

I'm trying to get my girlfriend in Waigani connected. She has an ACER notebook, and a wireless phone, which I guess is much like the very early mobile phones we had here. Anyone had experience in getting such a combination to work? Better yet would be an affordable service that runs on a wireless modem.

Problem is I'm in Australia and trying to help her by remote. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Old 26-03-2010, 06:36 PM

Mausgras is on a distinguished road
Thanks, tonester. I will have another look at Digicel, but last I recall they were about one and a half times the price ot telikom. We are looking for reliable e-mail and a little internet surfing. Problem is that websites now are huge in size because of imbedded advertising, so you have to download a Meg to get the 2 kB of data that you really want. It's the reason I had to switch to broadband myself.

Telecommunications is, percentage wise, the highes profitability business on the planet, and it really pisses me off that my friend has one twentieth the minimum wage that we have in Australia, and 50 times the internet cost ... that makes it 1,000 times as costly in real terms. Better break out the garamut.

I wonder if anyone has bought satellite broadband in Australia then moved their kit to PNG and operated it on their Australian account. I will have to check the satellite footprint.

I considered sending my USB up there on international roaming ... but that pushes the price up to $25 a MB. I even considered snail mail, but when I complained about an International Air Express package taking 16 days I was told that was normal time. Sheeesh.