Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 10-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Young volunteers help villagers build house at Sialum

A group of 12 young volunteers have been in remote Kukuya village in Sialum, Morobe Province, helping villagers there to build a house.

The 12, who are members of international non government organisation Habitat for Humanity, are from America (4), England (4), Japan (2), and Canada (2).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg png-habit-png-group-pic2.jpg (53.0 KB, 426 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 10-05-2003, 06:04 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Habitat for Humanity is an international non – profit, ecumenical Christian Housing Ministry which seeks to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action.

It is founded on the conviction that every man, woman, and children should have a simple, decent, and affordable place to live in dignity and safety.

Habitat has an open door policy and all who desire to be part of this work are welcome, regardless of race, color, or creed.

Habitat for Humanity has always had a policy of building with the people in need regardless of race or religion, and welcomes volunteers and supporters from all backgrounds as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg habitat-tshirt.jpg (37.7 KB, 406 views)
Old 10-05-2003, 06:07 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Millard and Linda Fuller founded Habitat for Humanity in 1976, and since then, it has built more than 100, 000 houses in 76 countries, and providing houses for more than 420,000 people in more than 2000 communities with safe, decent, and affordable housing.

The 12 volunteers are all based in Japan and were in Sialum from April 28 to May 6.

They collected donations from family, friends, and workmates to help build a house for Kukuya villager Peter Binang and his family.

They were to have built two more houses for Kukuya villagers but this did not eventuate.

The volunteers from America, England, and Canada are all English teachers in Japan while the two Japanese run their own businesses.

They left for Japan on Saturday, May 10, having met a lot of new friends and lots of pictures and memories.

For John Marshall, 25, from the US, coming to PNG was the fulfillment of a dream which he had had since working for the PNG Embassy in Washington DC as an intern in 1999.

John Marshall and a new PNG Wantok, seen here at Jackson's Airport, Saturday 10th May, 2003 before they boarded their flight to Japan :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg friend-and-john-marshall.jpg (41.1 KB, 412 views)
Old 10-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

It was then that PNG Ambassador, Sir Nagora Bogan and his assistant Graham Michael, had encouraged Mr Marshall to one day come to PNG.

After graduating in International Relations in 2002 from Rhodes College in Memphis, Tennessee, he went to Japan and has been there since.

Coming to PNG also gave Mr Marshall a chance to meet Sir Nagora and his family and talk about old times.

While in Japan, Habitat for Humanity’s office in Tokyo sent out emails asking for volunteers to come to PNG, and the rest is history.

“We arrived in Sialum on April 28,” Mr Marshall said.

“We finished on May 6.

“We lived in the village that time.

“All of us are in our 20s and 30s.”

Mr Marshall said the highlight of his stay was “telling stories and hearing stories”.

“I was very surprised at how good the questions of the children were,” he said.

John Marshall and Malum Nalu seen here at Jackson's Airport during an interview before boarding :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg malum-and-john-marshall.jpg (31.8 KB, 391 views)
Old 10-05-2003, 06:13 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

“In Kukuya, there’s no electricity and no television, but they were asking us questions about the Iraq war, about space, about Japan, and how people live in Japan.

“Other highlights? I liked the food.

“I really liked the taro with ketchup and potatoes.”

Another memorable experience for Mr Marshall was traveling back by road from Sialum to Finschhafen on a police Landcruiser.

The fuel filter became clogged and fuel couldn’t get to the engine, so the locals had to pull the hose out of the filter, and connect it to the engine with bamboo.

Along the way, the suspension broke, and the ingenious locals took it off and threw it to the back of the truck.

“It was a little scary because if we didn’t make it to Buki (wharf in Finschhafen), we wouldn’t have left at all,” Mr Marshall said.

Team Leader - Billy Joe Beaudoin (Canadian) and Daniel Ranga (Papua New Guinea) from the PNG Habitat for Humanity :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg billy-joe-beaudoin-and-dani.jpg (23.6 KB, 384 views)
Old 10-05-2003, 06:15 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Team leader, Canadian Billy Joe Beaudoin, said the nine days in Sialum had greatly impacted on their lives, especially their last day in Sialum when tears flowed freely among both locals and visitors.

“I’d like to express our sincere thanks to the people of Sialum for their hospitality and support,” she said.

“I hope that PNG tourism and Habitat for Humanity in this country will continue to prosper.

“We enjoyed the singsing on the last night.

“I’ll be sure to go back and do something for the tourism of PNG.

“It took a lot of work to put together this trip.

“We had terrific support for the local Habitat for Humanity in PNG.

“All the hard work was worth it.

“There was hardly a dry eye when we left Kukuya the other night.”

Billy Joe Beaudoin :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg billy-joe-beaudoin.jpg (20.4 KB, 388 views)
Old 10-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

The group had three days of rest and recreation at beautiful Loloata Island outside Port Moresby, enjoying diving and snorkeling, before traveling back to Japan.

Habitat for Humanity representative Daniel Ranga, who accompanied the group, gave a vote of thanks to the international volunteers.

“They gave their time and money and were happy to help the poor,” he said.

Loloata Island, approximately 20 minutes drive and then a boat ride away from the city of Port Moresby ;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loloata500.jpg (85.5 KB, 378 views)
Old 10-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

“They showed that they cared for us.”

Further information about Habitat for Humanity can be obtained from its website at

CLICK HERE to be taken to their website :

Journalist, Malum Nalu taking down notes prior to their departure from Papua New Guinea !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg malum-interviewing-john-mar.jpg (42.4 KB, 372 views)
Old 10-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

HABITAT FOR HUMANITY PAPUA NEW GUINEA

Papua New Guinea is an island nation richly endowed with natural resources that, for the most part, remain unexploited.

More than 66 percent of Papua New Guinea's population survives on subsistence farming. In recent years, droughts caused by El Nino significantly weakened the local economy by hampering production of its major exports: coffee, cocoa and coconut.

HFH Papua New Guinea has been in operation since 1984, working in both remote and urban areas. Habitat houses in the region are built on stilts and provide a major improvement in hygiene and sanitation, especially in protection from malarial mosquitoes with screening.

Due to the high cost of concrete and its local unavailability, houses are constructed of wood. House costs are kept especially low through the use of portable saw mills which produce all of the timber for the houses. In turn, HFH affiliates in Papua New Guinea maintain reforestation projects in each of their communities.

COUNTRY FACTS :
Climate: tropical
Population: 4,394, 537
Economy: chief resources include coffee, coconuts, cocoa and mining of gold and copper
Government: parliamentary democracy
Religion: predominantly Christian
Literacy: 72 percent
Language: English, Tok Pisin, Motu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map-of-pngpng-habitat500.jpg (35.1 KB, 381 views)
Old 10-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Waritzan, Papua New Guinea - another story from their website !

Despite its idyllic location, Papua New Guinea faces tough housing challenges. Natural materials are difficult to gather and a tropical climate wreaks havoc on traditionally built shelters.

For Eku Jacob, a subsistence farmer, gathering the timber and grass for his house is a never-ending task. When he can leave his crops, he walks long distances to search for building materials.

Eku and his wife, Gemisa, are in their 50s and the prospect of continually rebuilding is a source of anxiety as they grow older and resources become more scarce. A sturdy Habitat house will significantly ease their worries.

The Jacobs have served as volunteers for the Omang affiliate since its founding in 1993 and plan to continue even after their house is complete.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg png-habitat-logo150.jpg (6.8 KB, 382 views)