Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 10-05-2003, 09:03 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Learning About Pidgin !

Here are some useful words, which are very simple to learn and easy to remember to use during your stay in a host village :

English followed by the Pidgin :

Greeting :

Good morning - Gut moning
Good afternoon - Gutpela abinun
How are you ? - Yu stap gut ?
I'm fine - Mi stap gut
See you later - Lukim yu bihain

Small Talks :

What is your name ? - Wanem nem bilong yu ?
My name is ... - Nem bilong mi em ...
Where are you from ? - Wanem as ples bilong yu ?
I come from ... - As ples bilong mi em ....
I don't know - Mi no save
Excuse me - Sori
I have enjoyed myself very much - Mi hamamas tru

Pronouns :

I - Mi
He/She/It - Em
We (including person spoken to) - Yumi
We (excluding person spoken to) - Mipela
Everybody - Yumi/Mipela Olgeta
you (singular) - Yu
You (plural) - Yupela

Useful words :

Yes - Yes
Please - Plis
Little - Liklik
Man - Man
Woman - Meri
Children - Pikinini
No - Nogat
Thank you - Tenk yu
Big - Bikpela
Women - Ol meri
Old - Lapun

Editors Note : For the full pidgin dictionary, please CLICK HERE to be transferred to an area on www.pngbd.com :
Old 10-05-2003, 09:17 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

AMUGEN AFFILIATE PROFILE

AFFILIATE HISTORY IN BRIEF:

Amugen Affiliate is an affiliated body of Habitat for Humanity Papua New Guinea, which is an affiliated body of Habitat for Humanity International.
Amugen affiliate was established since 1995 when the people of Amugen Parish showed interest in the project. Daniel Smith was tt\e International Partner who started the project. Amugen affiliate comprises of seven (7) project villages. Namely, Kukuya, Kip, Wetnga, Kangkeu, Rikoko, Biungen and Bunbuna.

GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION:

Amugen is located in the Morobe Province located northeast from Lae City. It is three (3) hours 6y an economic tourist vessel to Finschhafen and then another 4 hours drive on a rough dusty highway to a place called Sialum. From Sialum you will have to walk west
for another four to five hours up the mountain and the natural terrace, which is one of the things that you might want to see.

CLIMATE:

Amugen has an annual rainfall of 200 inches. It is wet and dry all year around. The dry season starts at April and ends in November. The rest of the year is wet. The temperature range from 27- 33 degrees. The wettest months of the year starts from December till Marrch. It will be much cooler up at Amugen so you have to bring along
with you a sleeping bag.

PEOPLE AND LANGUAGE:

Six (6) villages make up the affiliate and have a total of 4500 people. Like all the other villages in Papua New Guinea locals live in according to their clans and family. There is only one common language spoken and is called Ono. Pidgin is considered their second language however only young people do speak it. English is not commonly spoken but few people will understand and will reply very little.

RELIGION:

The people are Christians with the local Church being traditionally Lutheran. There are six (6) congregation of Lutheran Church and apart from this there are four (4) other denominations in the area.

EDUCATION:

There are Pre- Schools in the area (ABC/ KINDERGARTENS) mostly teaching students in their own dialect (Language-ONO). There is also a Primary School now taking grades three (3) to Eight (8). There is no boarding high school in the area therefore students who are selected to continue to high school will have leave their village to do so. The
nearest high school is about 5 hours by truck from Sialum Station, is located south in I Finschhaferi. Most children go to school but only few complete grade ten (10). Only those who pass their grade ten (10) and twelve (12) external exams will have a chance to attend Universities or other tertiary Institution but hey must leave the village to do so.

HEALTH:

There is a sub- Health Center in Kalasa about two (2) and half kilometer walk from the affiliate office. There is also a Government Health Center which at Sialum Station. Malaria is common and is spread by a female mosquito called anopheles. You are advised to bring you own mosquito nets with you plus insect repellents. Skin diseases are not so common however it can be contracted if you do not take care of yourself.

LOCAL FOOD:

People here eat variety of fresh vegetables and tubers. The greens include aibika, sako, cabbage and other jungle greens. The tubers includes Chinese taro, sweet potato, yam and starch taro. There is always a protein for at least a meal. Bandicoot, cuscus, tree kangaroo, cassowary are hunted for meat and also use the fur for decoration especially during sing sing and dancing ceremonies. The locals themselves raise domesticated meat animals like chicken, pig, and cattle. They also sell especially cattle to get cash. A part from garden produce, store goods such as rice, tinned meat and fish, flour and biscuits are part of their diet.

ECONOMY:

People are primarily subsistence farmer selling excess of their produce in the market, schools and at other odd meetings and gatherings. They also have a market in their own house where when one buys something from a person, he or she goes out and tell the next person about it so the promotion continues and everyone come along to buy. In average a famHy in the village would earn ranging from 100 kina (US 33 dollars) to 500 kina (US 100 dollars)

HOUSING:

Traditional houses are made out of bush materials. These houses are built on stilts. The Post begins to rot at the end of the fifth year. The roof is made from sago leaves and Kunai grass and will need repairs starting at around the third year. Some people cook inside their houses, but most people prefer a separate cookhouse. They are very much interested in a more permanent house. Often there is an extended family residing with them.

TRANSPORTATION:

Transportation of people, crops and other materials are accessible. Cargo is shipped by Cargo Vessels that runs everyday between Lae and Finschhafen. There are also Passenger Motor Vehicles that run to and from Sialum. There is an economical class boat operated under the Lutheran Shipping Company that runs between Lae and Finschhafen every Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays and takes only two hours thirty minutes to get from Lae to Finschhafen.

Then you will have to jump on a PMV to get to Sialum where you will have to walk another four (4) to five (5) hours to get to Amugen Habitat.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:16 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Map of the area around Finschaffen, Morobe Province of Papua New Guinea :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map2.jpg (57.3 KB, 163 views)