Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Finding (Old) Friends

Finding (Old) Friends Come here if you want to find and catch up with your old friends. Also try the School Forums if your friend was associated with one.

Old 24-04-2010, 10:18 PM

gleny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by punawon View Post
Does anybody remember Glenys Khonke or David and John McEvoy from Madang in the 60's and early 70's? (The McEvoys lived in Regina Ave.)
Hi I am Gleny Köhnke and I lived in Madang in the 1960´s, friend of Butch and John Mc Evoy and Karen Webb. I now live in Málaga, Spain
Old 14-05-2010, 11:29 PM

lwmcnair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bailey View Post
Hi all, my name is Michael Bailey and I attended Madang school from 1966 t 1970. My father was manager of the Commonwealth Bank and we lived in Kalibobo Drive. My sister Margo also went to school there.
Hello Michael,
My name is Len McNair. I worked in the Commonwealth Bank, Madang between 1969-1971 and your father was my manager in 1969 and 1970. I know that your father was transferred from Perth to Madang and then transferred/promoted to Sydney. I can remember when you and your sister used to come into the bank. I am interested to know how your mother and father are. I do hope they are both ok. Would you please give them my regards. I am sure your father would remember me as we had a good working relationship. I do truely hope that your mother and father are both in good health as it was a long time ago that I had the pleasure of working with your dad. Regards, Len
Old 14-03-2011, 11:56 PM

Jem41 is on a distinguished road
Hi Rowan, I lived in Madang in 1969 and 1970. Jeremy Scriven and Leonie Fyffe were in my class... I think Gr 4. My best friend was Nicole Campbell. I also knew Feretie Jones, Danny Walker and I will have to dig up some old photos etc to remember others. I have a brother Stephen who is a year older than me and sister Christine, 2 yrs older and younger sister Lynette. My dad was Frank Beitzel, and he operated the radio communications on the main street of Madang. We lived over near Coastwatchers memorial, can't remember the street name.
I believe the mini tsunami you refer to followed the 7.3 earthquake that hit Madang Oct 31/Nov 1 1970. it sent a small tsunami out that tore up the communications cables that lay on the sea floor between PNG & Australia. I remember my dad was in a real flap about it at the time. It was a pretty scary event... the Japan earthquake bringing back vivid memories.
Old 15-03-2011, 01:00 PM

rowanh is on a distinguished road
Jem,
see '71 (5A) class photo at users.tpg.com.au/rowandh There are one or two unknowns. I'm updating this page in a day or two, as Tom and Cassie have sent me some corrections. You can contact me there, or via this site with a private msg about any corrections.

Your father was replaced by Geoff Marks' father in 72. Campbells, moved to Manus, father (Ansett?) was replaced by Ian McDougal's father. I was in Madang from May to Nov 71. Then May to Aug, and Nov 72. My father was the airport manager at Madang and PM, at the same time. I've never set foot in PNG since 1973, but have sailed around PNG waters on research vessels.

The '70 quake did cause a small wave, but there was a 'turbidite', or landslide, tsunami before then, but no quake. Happened in the afternoon as all the drunks at the golf club witnessed it. There was a substantial turbidite wave that hit Rabaul about Aug '71. They are common wherever there is a steep seabed.

Rowan H.
Old 27-03-2011, 10:43 PM

steve beitzel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bailey View Post
Hi all, my name is Michael Bailey and I attended Madang school from 1966 t 1970. My father was manager of the Commonwealth Bank and we lived in Kalibobo Drive. My sister Margo also went to school there.
Hi Michael, yes I remember you and your sister very well, your house was on the corner of Kalibobo and the street I used to walk down to get to home when walking back from school.
My two sisters, my wife and I went back March last year, it is still a wonderful country though not quite the same, also went back to Milne Bay where we had also lived. You must have left just before we did, (Feb 1971). Remember the earthquake,(7.2 richter, I think Nov. 1970, we were planning a bike ride out to the airport for that Sunday arvo, I think you might have been part of that plan. Other guys I remember were Andrew Lindon, Wolfgang Stoekle, Stephen Dunkly, and we lived next door to Feretti Jones.
Old 27-03-2011, 10:52 PM

steve beitzel is on a distinguished road
Hi rowanh, jem's brother Steve here, two of my friends were swimming at the rocky cove at Dungies house out past the hospital and were washed up onto the rocks and badly lacerated by what was described then as a "freak" wave, no warning and much bigger than anything usual. It would have been around 1969 as it was not long after we arrived in Madang.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:34 PM

rowanh is on a distinguished road
The wave must have been small since this is the only recollection so far. The Golf Club account is that the sea level dropped about 2m or 3m, then a visible crest came back in at speed and crashed over the sea wall. The Rabaul wave in '71 was caused by the rest of Ritter Is. collapsing into the sea. The major collapse was in March 1883, which killed 3000 villagers in New Britain.

The sea wall around town wasn't a lava flow, it was a coral terrace. There was a second terrace running along Alamanda Cr. up to Smugglers' Inn. These are sea front coral reefs that get uplifted and die, every few hundred years. The uplift sequence is really impressive near Saidor, where it looks like a huge stair case that goes up to 700m above sea level. Uplifts rise about 2m and occur every 200yrs or so. Uplifts can happen very quickly, in 24hrs.

These events were obvious to German scientists in the 1890s, but our "world renowned scientists", as Senator Milne keeps calling them, are ignorant of this, in 2011! Sea level measurements are a waste of time here!

Bye
Old 15-09-2012, 12:38 AM

spook180 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem41 View Post
Hi Rowan, I lived in Madang in 1969 and 1970. Jeremy Scriven and Leonie Fyffe were in my class... I think Gr 4. My best friend was Nicole Campbell. I also knew Feretie Jones, Danny Walker and I will have to dig up some old photos etc to remember others. I have a brother Stephen who is a year older than me and sister Christine, 2 yrs older and younger sister Lynette. My dad was Frank Beitzel, and he operated the radio communications on the main street of Madang. We lived over near Coastwatchers memorial, can't remember the street name.
I believe the mini tsunami you refer to followed the 7.3 earthquake that hit Madang Oct 31/Nov 1 1970. it sent a small tsunami out that tore up the communications cables that lay on the sea floor between PNG & Australia. I remember my dad was in a real flap about it at the time. It was a pretty scary event... the Japan earthquake bringing back vivid memories.
Dear Jem41, I remember the earth quake. The end wall of the ANZ building fell down. Do you remeber the Stockels, Hewletts, Fitzgeralds, Christensens? There was another, I think her name was Bernadett, had a younger sister, and they lived in a high set house on the corner of Regina Ave & Coronation Drive?
Old 22-05-2013, 03:04 AM

Linda Dunjey is on a distinguished road
Oh my goodness, this is amazing! I'm Linda Dunjey - was at Madang A for grade 6 in 1969 and 1970 (had to repeat because I was too young for boarding school in '70). The freak wave you mentioned, my brother Stephen (Dunjey) was on a rocky ledge with two mates and the first we knew, they were running up our to house dripping blood everywhere. My dad Malcolm was DMO for Madang District and I don't think he stitched up my brother Steve but Steve had quite decent facial lacerations and someone did it! I'll ask Steve tomorrow if he can remember who he was with. He used to hang round a lot with Scott Kingsley and the Brumby guys.
It was certainly either 1969 or 1970 because those were our years in Madang.
So many familiar sounding names: Cassie Fox (Ward) of course, the Schwartze (I went to school with Sonia), the Deasys, Michael and Margo Bailey are familiar names too. I think Margo might've been in the same class as my sister Christine.
Anyone else from my years around? I've been wondering about Leeanne Murtagh and Louise Bastow in particular and on the boy front, Mark Box and Timmy Duff.
I remember a bakery we used to go in Modillon Ave/St? Near the school. Steve and I were reminiscing the other day about going to the bakery...the Casa Pepe (Herp Albert and the Tijuana Brass band as the perpetual soundtrack)...Saturday afternoon matinees...Friday fish and chips down at Coastwatchers...playing footie with the toads in the wet season....wonderful memories.
Any photos out there? I've found a few in my family's collection but love to see more from those days.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:34 AM

Linda Dunjey is on a distinguished road
P.S. my recollection is that the boys used to go up on that ledge near our old pool looking for old bullets from WW2. Particularly legendary story that one day either one of my parents heard a banging, clanging sound and came out to find Steve and one of his mates bashing a bullet with a hammer to see if it was still live. He was 10 at the time - now an emergency physician and on the other side of the next accident. : ))