Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Finding (Old) Friends

Finding (Old) Friends Come here if you want to find and catch up with your old friends. Also try the School Forums if your friend was associated with one.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:55 PM

Linda is on a distinguished road
Madang in the sixties and seventies

Would love to hear from anyone who may remember my family. I was born and bred in Madang and moved to Australia in 1979. Been here longer than there but Madang is still home.

Family name of Stevens, mum (Susan) dad (William/ Bill) and also anyone who remembers Tony Jefford (he and mum eventually married)

I went to Madang Primary from mid 60's. Families in town that i remember from that time are the O'Briens of Millilat, Tom Huxley from Huxleys hotel, Cassells, Alberts, Clifton Bassett, Creese, Meaker, Mckenzie. Anne Graham, Isobel Pert, June Licardo, Hugh and Shirley Richardson, Tullock from Coastwatchers... wow so many names i had forgotten.
Would love to catch up with Susie English, Eileen Mirrior and Lucy Natera and Jenny Baker who were the girls in my class.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 28-09-2007, 05:06 PM

Titan Ice is on a distinguished road
Hi Linda

I was in Madang from about 1973 to 1990. I knew John Tullock, Mike Cassell, Tom Huxley & Isobel Pert. Tony Jefford where did he work? I also knew Bill Natera who worked at the slipway Lucy would have been one of his daughters. John Tullock last I heard had a hotel down at Byron Bay. When I left in 1990 Mike Cassell was still there but the rest had gone finish.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:12 PM

brown bomber is on a distinguished road
Hi Linda,
I was born in madang and went to school in madang, I knew most of the people mentioned, you must of known the fitgeralds,schwartz,klinks,babao's and the natera's kids, they were all about your age.
Old 20-01-2008, 10:20 AM

tatfarm is on a distinguished road
Hi Linda
My Dad. Martin Munro could have been your teacher in Madang. I left to join the Navy in 1964 but my brother Gerard was at school in those days.
Old 23-07-2008, 02:45 PM

Joe Lam is on a distinguished road
Hi Linda,
The names brings back many memories. I went to primary school with Lucy's elder brother Joe, I believe he is still in Madang with sister Beverly.
Dean Lacardo I came across in Brisbane back in 2005, unfortunately at the time both he and my wife were going through cancer treatment.
For your information there is a Madang reunion held at Bribie Island, Qld. on the 2nd weekend in November possibly sunday. I have yet to attend as the timing has alway been out for me. I have family and friends that have gone and they mentioned it was a top day to catch up over a picnic lunch.
My parents had a shop T.Y. Lam on Modilon Road, next to Madang Bakery.

Joe
Old 27-04-2010, 11:48 AM

rowanh is on a distinguished road
See users.tpg.com.au/rowandh for some class photos of Madang Coronation Primary '71 and '72.
Old 17-06-2010, 08:19 PM

Binnen Bakery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
Would love to hear from anyone who may remember my family. I was born and bred in Madang and moved to Australia in 1979. Been here longer than there but Madang is still home.

Family name of Stevens, mum (Susan) dad (William/ Bill) and also anyone who remembers Tony Jefford (he and mum eventually married)

I went to Madang Primary from mid 60's. Families in town that i remember from that time are the O'Briens of Millilat, Tom Huxley from Huxleys hotel, Cassells, Alberts, Clifton Bassett, Creese, Meaker, Mckenzie. Anne Graham, Isobel Pert, June Licardo, Hugh and Shirley Richardson, Tullock from Coastwatchers... wow so many names i had forgotten.
Would love to catch up with Susie English, Eileen Mirrior and Lucy Natera and Jenny Baker who were the girls in my class.

Hi Linda

I must confess to not remembering you or your family, but a lot of the names you mention were in grades higher than mine. My father was Brian Deasy and he owned Binnen Bakery.

I remember the Alberts - Vicki Albert was in my sister's grade (1 below mine). I also remember the Richardsons (Michael was in my grade) and the Grahams (Brett was in my sister's grad). I am still in contact with Marie Creese (I know her parents attend the reunion Joe Lam alluded to) and I seem to recall a Debbie Baker in my class (not sure if she was related to Jenny). I was of the impression that Debbie married William Solomon and still lives in PNG (could be wrong though). Also remember the McKenzie boys; Bruce was in my grade. This brings back very fond memories.
Old 19-09-2010, 11:18 AM

GregW is on a distinguished road
Hi Linda, my sister Debbie & I were there from 64-68. I remember a lot of those names. Isobel Pert is still around, living in Noosa I believe.

cheers, Greg Williamson.
Old 27-09-2010, 05:34 PM

beau gilmore is on a distinguished road
HI Linda My name is Beau Gilmore, 60s and 70s were a bit before my time. I was wondering if anyone knew the Gilmores, Hyon and Graham.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:23 PM

Pomelko123 is on a distinguished road
Hi Joe,
Actually, I fear being mixed up, as I used to know a guy called John Lam, whose parents indeed had a shop on Modilon Rd. My name is Volker Leidner andf I worked for Breckwoldt/Brewo Motors between 1966-71.
John called me Wodka as he was unable to pronounce my name correctly.
After TPNG I moved to Nouméa where I still live, though we spend more and more time on the Goldcoast where we have a house.
I can be reached at jovolei@mls.nc
Cheers
Volker/Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lam View Post
Hi Linda,
The names brings back many memories. I went to primary school with Lucy's elder brother Joe, I believe he is still in Madang with sister Beverly.
Dean Lacardo I came across in Brisbane back in 2005, unfortunately at the time both he and my wife were going through cancer treatment.
For your information there is a Madang reunion held at Bribie Island, Qld. on the 2nd weekend in November possibly sunday. I have yet to attend as the timing has alway been out for me. I have family and friends that have gone and they mentioned it was a top day to catch up over a picnic lunch.
My parents had a shop T.Y. Lam on Modilon Road, next to Madang Bakery.

Joe