Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > School Mates

School Mates Catch up with your school mates from PNG. TISOL, POMIS, RIS, POM Grammar, Bulae, and a lot more!

Old 14-04-2008, 02:41 PM

Carole is on a distinguished road
I had no idea there was a school out there -- I was a Coronation then LIHS kid. I am curious if anyone knew someone called Peta Wilson -- she is an actress best known for the La Femme Nikita series, and I read once that she had grown up an army brat in PNG in the seventies. I figure she might have been at Igam.
Old 15-04-2008, 03:23 PM

Mick Sullivan is on a distinguished road
Maz
Thanks for that, I may not be able to attend as I will be in Townsville for the month of June, however will try to make it, keep in touch.

cheers, Mick
Old 30-09-2008, 02:57 AM

hoppy is on a distinguished road
Igam Barracks Photos

Hey all,

I may be showing my age here, but I lived in Igam barracks in 1998-99 as an 11-12 year old. Many fond memories. The barracks unfortunately has taken a turn for the worse, but was still really safe at the time especially compared with living in town. There were only 3 Australian and 1 NZ family living at Igam at the time. I have many photos from my time there and even some aerial photos. We lived at number 34 (didnt use street names at the time) which was the second house up from the primary school.

Andrew
Old 30-09-2008, 07:54 PM

G'day Andrew,

I also have great memories of living in Igam Barracks, however the Sullivan family lived in Igam Bks from 1968 to the end of 1970, we were the first European family into the Barracks, dad was the Adjt and worked for a LTCOL Bishop, who died this year. It would be great to see the photo's of the Barracks. My understanding is the ADF has sent personnel to Igam Barracks last year to do some work the fix alot of the damage.

Cheers Mick Sullivan
Old 30-09-2008, 11:20 PM

timq is on a distinguished road
Facebook group

He everyone, I just found a facebook group
Schools of Lae (early years)

if anyone is interested. Most people there seem to be later than my time, though (1971-75)
Old 01-10-2008, 03:38 PM

pbuckley is on a distinguished road
Have to disagree on that Michael, I watched you move in across the road.

My father WO2 Denis Buckley ran the Sig centre. We arrived well before any other families though there was a cpl and his wife before us. They lived next door to the Otways house. Your family lived in the house later taken by the Ryan's before you moved up the rd to be closer to the other officer families.

Sorry to hear about LTCOL Bishop. I was just looking him up the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Sullivan
G'day Andrew,

I also have great memories of living in Igam Barracks, however the Sullivan family lived in Igam Bks from 1968 to the end of 1970, we were the first European family into the Barracks, dad was the Adjt and worked for a LTCOL Bishop, who died this year. It would be great to see the photo's of the Barracks. My understanding is the ADF has sent personnel to Igam Barracks last year to do some work the fix alot of the damage.

Cheers Mick Sullivan
Old 02-10-2008, 06:40 PM

G'day Buck,

OOPPPSSS, One of the first European family's into Igam Barracks, a long time ago, when did your family arrive into Igam Barracks? I can still remember the workers building the married quarters on the back of a semi trailer to and from work each day. Have you been back to Igam Bks since you left ? Mrs Bishop is still going strong and still looks the same as when she was in Lae, Did you go to the reunion in June?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:11 PM

No, never made it back but have seen a few photos. Some look good others just make you sad. I looked up our street on one occasion and found an article about a senseless murder taking place there a little time after the mutiny. Funny, they were such idyllic times back then. I dont remeber the exact date we arrived, I ask my parents next time I visit. I just remember my mother getting annoyed by someones assertion at being there before us. Must uphold the legacy.
Mrs Bishop presented us with an award for best garden. We had a blue couch lawn, a couple of cannas, a hibiscus and the houseboys garden. Never really understood it myself. I think she had a wicked sense of humour.
Ive met a few people from up that way. They dont have much thats positive to say I'm afraid. I will eventually go and see for myself.
I have a photo of you in your scout uniform. I'll dig it out if I can and load it up.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:01 PM

Maz is on a distinguished road
looking for Sian Lauw

Hi San, i have recently been in touch with Penny Quarry who was a good friend of Sians, and wants to know if you can give me either an email address or snail mail address for her, email me at zyeera@yahoo.com.au tks, marianne De lamotte
Old 12-12-2008, 01:09 PM

Does anyone remember the name of CO before LtCol Bishop arrived. Sons name was Mark.