Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > School Mates

School Mates Catch up with your school mates from PNG. TISOL, POMIS, RIS, POM Grammar, Bulae, and a lot more!

Old 27-01-2005, 07:53 AM

pbuckley is on a distinguished road
Yes, It was Guy Melling, we sat at the back near the door. We had a fight one day and rolled out onto the stairs. I think the teachers name was Mr Grant. Would that be correct.
We only seem to have slides from then but i will see it i can transfer some. I have one of the back of your sisters head standing with someone whom I am assuming may be your mum. I think we may also have a slide of your dad marching at the opening of the barracks. Can't promise though.
Cheers
Peter
Old 01-08-2005, 03:07 PM

Maz is on a distinguished road
Hi there,

I went to Lae High School 1969 - 1972, Maz De La Motte
Old 03-08-2005, 08:22 PM

LindyLou is on a distinguished road
Hi Scott, That house that burnt down was the Hutson family - I know cos' I'm a daughter of Alan and Noela Hutson - Linda.
Old 29-08-2005, 07:05 PM

Libby Jack is on a distinguished road
Igam Barracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbuckley
I went to Igam primary, Still have the school badge. i remeber the mums sewing the green and gold stipes on our shirt pockets.

I also remember San and her brothers. There were 3 I think or at least 2 that were walking. They lived around the corner on Kakoda Cres.
My dad ran the Signals Centre.
My brother became very ill and we had to return to Australia.
I sat next to Guy in grade 6.
Peter
I was at Igam from 1070-1974. My dad was the quartermaster. The Frosts lived next door, with Mr Lucas on the other side. I was in Kokoda Crescent. Other friends were the McQuinns, Debbie Marcrow, Emerys, Coles, Joe Urquart, Giok, Kim Ferguson, plus kids from Buymayong Lutheran College and the tech college. I have photos of everything. I will have to learn how to put them on this page. My sons and I are going back in September 2006. We are doing the Kokoda Trail in October 2006.
Old 30-08-2005, 11:35 AM

pbuckley is on a distinguished road
Does anyone remember a kid called Lucas, His dad was in the PI Regiment. he went to Igam Primary as well. I dont remeber his last name.
I would like to see the photos. It should interesting going for a visit. I heard so many negatives and then some friends went back and said they had the most fantastic time.
Its probably down to attitude somewhat.
Peter
Old 07-09-2006, 08:36 PM

johnrlucas is on a distinguished road
Igam Barracks

Hi

I was the Headmaster at Igam Barracks in 1971. I've just stumbled across this site and I'm amazed by the names I remember.

John Lucas
Old 07-09-2006, 08:56 PM

Libby Jack is on a distinguished road
Hello to you

Yes John, That is me. You are Timmy's dad are you not? I remember visiting Timmy in hospital when he was really sick with malaria or dysentry and the image of him in his nappy stays with me forever. I do remember you and my other teacher Mr Fisher. I remember the day that Mr Fisher got his new Toyota with automatic windows and we were so amazed. I am a teacher also. I teach Infants/Primary in a small school in Launceston, Tasmania. My two boys aged 14 and 12 and I are off to New Guinea on September 27th for three months. We are walking the kokoda Track first and then returning to Lae, Igam and lots of other places. I am teaching at the schhool that dad built on Salamaua and also at Busu High School where my New Guinean brother who was at Bumayong is teaching. I am still in contact with the McQuinns, the Kuders and Sam Lau. Dad is in a nursing home. The injuries he suffered in Korea finally caughtg up with him. Mum is in Armidale, NSW and has just had spinal fusion and isn't coping too well. They are both in their 80's. My brother Stuart is living with mum and caring for her. Fantastic to hear from you. My email is libby.eja@bigpond.com. Regards, Libby Jack
Old 07-09-2006, 10:33 PM

lauwt is on a distinguished road
Hi Libby and Mr Lucas - do you remember the Lauw's of Kokoda Crescent? The brothers three were as I remember ideal students - NOT. My regards to you and your family and to yours Libby.

How are those photos going?

Regards

San Lauw
Old 08-09-2006, 11:42 AM

LindyLou is on a distinguished road
Does anyone remember the Hutson family? 4 daughters - Jill, Patsy, Sandra, Leah and Linda, and one son - Grant. Grant and I went to Lae High for a short time late 60's ealy 70's before we were sent off to boarding school. I remember Chris Bell as a student of Lae High and Mrs Grant the English teacher was a family friend. I (Linda) was part of the junior golf league along with me best friend Joanne Smale. We made it to the front page of the paper for our golfing efforts. Dad worked for Labour & Industrial Affairs and mum worked for Transport. I remember Jack from high school - whose father had horses - one horse in particular drank lemonade and ate Twisties ! I also remember the Saturday afternoon matinees. Dad trained Army Cadets in his 'spare' time and we attended the Uniting Church every Sunday for many years. I also remember Linda Lewis from high school and Julie McDonald - whose family moved over from Moresby (her father ran the drive in at Moresby for a while).
I have lived in Aus since leaving PNG and about to move to Africa for work for a time.
Cheers, Linda
Old 08-09-2006, 11:44 AM

johnrlucas is on a distinguished road
How could I forget!

Hi San

I remember you well. Was Giok your brother or your Dad? I recall that one of you was introduced to the barracks lock-up by your desperate father. Colonel Harrington was less than impressed, but I remember applauding your dad. Did it do any good?

Cheers
John