Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Finding (Old) Friends

Finding (Old) Friends Come here if you want to find and catch up with your old friends. Also try the School Forums if your friend was associated with one.

Old 20-09-2007, 11:01 AM

Glenda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretdb
Is anyone interested in starting a private yahoo or google group so that we can all share our photos or memories of Moresby ?

I am happy to do set it up.

It would just be a place to swap stories, save photos so we can share them and bring each other up to speed on what memories we have of people.

We could call the site "ellabeach" or "4mile" or "boroko" or anything that brings back a memory.

Let me know what everyone thinks of the idea.

Margaret
Hi Margaret,

I am just glad that you started this thread on this forum! As there were so many different threads that didn't relate at all and you were the only one who put into words what we were all looking for.
It's a great idea but a yahoo private group wouldn't leave it open for new people to join in and I am really hoping that more people will add their info.
But in saying that I really haven't had a lot of experience recently with the yahoo type groups.
Perhaps an open forum, like this one. That way it still has the same format and people can join in easily, it can also be moderated. The software for these is free and easily set up.
Old 20-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg
Hey Glenda,
not sure about John but the other Auchettl kids went to Coronation Primary A. I remember John played drums in a band called the 'something Custards' so to a 12-13 year old he was pretty cool. Couple of good friends went to Boroko East though, Debbie Brooks was probably in your year and Melody Musicka would have been in the year after you. Was the swap shop that you went to the one at Taurama? My mum and I actually met up with the lady who used to run that shop around the end of the '70's in Sydney. There does seem to be a lot of expats in Brisbane. A friend went to a reunion up here probably about 10 or more years ago now and she said there were heaps of people there - maybe we're all gravitating back slowly. I would love to go back, I'm just afraid I'll be disappointed though, but I think I'll do it one just for the hell of it. I never fitted back in well either, but I'm kind of cool about being different now - just pass it off as eccentricity now I'm hitting the big half century soon.
Cheers,
Megan
PS. Remembered the band's name - it was the 'Copper Custards'
Hi Megan
I remember Melody, she would come home with me after school quite often. I remember the name Debbie Brooks but can't see the face.
The swap shop was at Taurama I can remember the faces of the people who ran it but can't think of the names.

I can't remember any of the bands names, I can remember the ones who played at the school dances but not their names.

Many of the people that I have met who have come back south from PNG say that they don't quite fit in. I think we had such a different life, a life of relative freedom which is so far removed from the then constraints of suburban life. Our lives were something that unless you have lived it you could never understand. My older sister stayed in Australia and came up for holidays, she could not understand how anyone could live in such a horrible place. She couldn't see the beauty of it all. I can't live in the suburbs as I just don't fit.
Old 20-09-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee
i do remember ann and kim mulcay , ann was in some of my class ,bruce spark use to go out with kim back then .they were there till end of form 4.cant recall titch nor uki. mrs griffith was my scicence teacher and she had a phyton in the scicence lab.i m sitting here trying to write this and can see all this faces but cant put names ,how frustrating is that . ithink i know who you are. do you know royan he was the shortest boy in class,we where in the same english. mrs davis was our english teacher. she had anervous break down,poor thing she couldnt handle the stress.do you know gary. cant remember his name, yes its all comming back to me now. joan. sharon and glenda .cheers
Hi Jaycee,
I am pretty sure it was Royan (or was it ryan) that we used to call titch
Mrs Griffith used to have her hair pulled up in a bun and I think she had a visable birth mark on her face that she used to cover with heavy makeup.
I remember the snake got out of it's tank and was in the iron breams accross the ceiling.
Poor Mrs Davis she hit me over the head with a dictionary and it wasn't long after that that she had her nervous break down. I can remember a few of us tying one of those fire crackers to the leg of her table from the leg of her chair and when she pulled it back it went bang, not a big bang, but enough to make us all be in fits of laughter. No wonder the poor woman lost the plot.

Mrs Marr taught us Italian, she was lovely. Was it Mr Macallum that was the head master?
I do remember a boy called Gary, but can't remember anything else or a face.
I remember the plastic bags of frozen milk, yum, I loved them.
It is such a long time ago now and it is hard to remember things, but I am having a lot of memories come back.
Old 20-09-2007, 01:19 PM

meg is on a distinguished road
Hey Glenda,
I'm still in touch with Melody, she's up here in Qld too but the last time I spoke to her she wasn't on the internet. Don't know if you're interested, but I could give her a ring if you wanted to catch up with her.
Megan
Old 20-09-2007, 01:45 PM

took photos down

Last edited by Glenda; 30-10-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 21-09-2007, 01:51 PM

paul ekman is on a distinguished road
hello glenda,margaret and others. loved the photoes. i was a bit younger (mrs grahams yr 5 in 1974) so have not so many social memories or memories of friends as we left after that. i remember the koitaki pool but not as clean as in your pictures. it seemed like green soup the few times we went there.i am going back for the first time in 4 weeks and taking my family for 3 weeks so should be good to see the place again. its been great to read this forum since i found it while doing some research in preparation. i also cant get my wife or kids to like ginger or salty plums and i always have a supply and have some occasionally-even have ginger in my laptop bag at work.
cheers.
Old 21-09-2007, 07:41 PM

margaretdb is on a distinguished road
Visiting PNG

Paul - you are so right about the pool. I swear it didnt have a bottom it was so green.

It would be great if you could post a few pictures here when you get back so we can all see how PNG looks now.
Old 21-09-2007, 07:44 PM

margaretdb is on a distinguished road
Kcc

Glenda - did Tony Hern ride a horse ?

I think I may remember him from the KCC.
Old 21-09-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul ekman
hello glenda,margaret and others. loved the photoes. i was a bit younger (mrs grahams yr 5 in 1974) i remember the koitaki pool but not as clean as in your pictures. it seemed like green soup the few times we went there.
Hi Paul,
I actually think that there may have been 2 Mrs Grahams, or that she transferred from Boroko East to St Josephs.
I remember everyone stripping the paint off the pool at Koitaki and repainting it, it was a very big job. Does anyone remember Kahgi (not sure how you spell his name) at Koitaki?

Paul I really would love to know what your trip was like as my husband is sugesting a trip but I am a little apprehensive. I think we will all be eagerly awaiting your verdict and to see some pics!

Have a great trip,
Glenda
Old 21-09-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretdb
Glenda - did Tony Hern ride a horse ?

I think I may remember him from the KCC.
Hi Margaret,
He sure did, he played polo. I had such a huge crush on him when I was about 12 or 13, I used to go all googly when he was around.
He married Sally who was a nurse, she was full of life.

Cheers,
Glenda