Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Finding (Old) Friends

Finding (Old) Friends Come here if you want to find and catch up with your old friends. Also try the School Forums if your friend was associated with one.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:32 PM

jaycee is on a distinguished road
Question

i remember the puplic pool at ela beach where we spent most saturdays and sundays,the skyline drive in and ofcourse saturday martnee at the papuan thearter

I remember the day Steamies in town got all the flavoured ice creams (I think there was about 20 flavours - it was a magic day for us kids)

I remember the "Show day" near the Uni in around 1968 when the showbags were "Real" sample bags, they actually had samples of matches would you believe !!!

I remember going to the drive-in every weekend - you didnt even care what was on - you just went every week. I remember that at the drive-in on your birthday your name was called out and you got some free lollies - not just a packet, but a drink, potato chips and many packets of lollies. We had a cyclone on my sisters birthday one year and still we went - there was two cars there, and they showed the movie (and she got her free lollies). I also remember when they built the picture theatre at Boroko near the entrance to the drive in. I remember "check your dockets" when you went to the drive in and had dinner there. (It was not the "greasy take aways" you get at drive in's now, but great meals).

I remember the songs of the time - (I always think of Moresby when I hear them)
"Is this the way to Armarillo" - Tony Christie.
"Raindrops keep falling on my head" - Johnny Farnham
"Green green grass of home" - Tom Jones

Lets hear what YOU remember ?

Margaret[/quote]
Old 16-08-2007, 11:43 PM

paul ekman is on a distinguished road
I REMEMBER CHASING THE "FOGGER" MACHINE AROUND THE STREETS CRASHING INTO EACH OTHER IN THE MIST. SOMETIMES WONDER HOW MUCH DDT WE ABSORBED INTO OUR SYSTEM. AT THE DRIVE IN THE DRINKS WERE 8 CENTS AND WE USED TO HANG AROUND THE MACHINES TO SCAB THE 2c CHANGE AND AFTER THE MOVIE WOULD GO ROUND WITH A SACK COLLECTING BOTTLES FOR A REFUND.
I REMEMBER OLD TARZAN MOVIES AT WARDS THEATRE AND SOME LOCALS WHO HAD NEVER SEEN THEM BEFORE BOLTED OUT OVER THE TOP OF THE CHAIRS AT THE SIGHT OF A HERD OF ELEPHANTS ON THE CHARGE.
I CAN REMEMBER THE SMELL OF THE FUEL AT THE SPEEDWAY AND THE SLIDERS AND CARS. SOMEONE GOT BADLY INJURED/KILLED WHEN A CAR OR TYRE WENT INTO THE CROWD ONE NIGHT. FROM MURRAY BARRACKS WE USED TO GET A VARIETY OF TRANSPORT TO SCHOOL EITHER JEEPS ,TRUCKS OR WHAT WE CALLED THE TIN OR SARDINE CAN WHICH WAS A CLOSED IN TRUCK WHICH WAS AS HOT AS HELL. WHEN THE DRIVER TOOK OFF WE USED TO OPEN THE BACK DOOR AND FOLD DOWN THE STEPS AND SIT THERE DANGLING OUR LEGS AS IT DROVE ALONG OR SWING OUT ON THE DOOR.
WE ALSO USED TO BUY FIREWORKS FROM A CHINESE SHOP IN BOROKO ANY TIME OF THE YEAR AND HAVE "WARS" OUT THE BACK SHOOTING SKYROCKETS AT EACH OTHER AND BLOWING THINGS UP.
SANTA USED TO TURN UP IN A HELICOPTER.
THE KING OF THE PLAYGROUND WAS THE ONE WITH THE MOST MARBLES.
I STILL BUY SALTY PLUMS AND GINGER WHEN I CAN FIND IT. USED TO GET THESE TRIANGULAR PLASTIC FROZEN CHOCOLATE MILKS AT THE SCHOOL TUCKSHOP. I ALWAYS REMEMBER ENJOYING THE START BUT BY THE END THE ICE AND CHOCOLATE WAS TERRIBLE. WE HAD SIX MANGO TREES IN OUR YARD AND IT WAS HEAVEN. WOULD GO TO SLEEP HEARING THE FRUIT BATS CHATTER ALL NIGHT.
Old 19-08-2007, 07:07 PM

clats is on a distinguished road
Hi Spook, The photo of Ela Beach brings back fond memories of Sunday morning beach cricket with the boys from Raniguri Hostel. Also remember the bottom pub was the only place to be on a Saturday morning. Great girl watchers viewing spot from the front bar balcony. They also baked fantastic pies straight out of the oven at about 11-30am. Although I had a few good memories of my early days in Port Moresby - arrived December 1968, because I was housed in Raniguri Hostel (very basic accommodation, hot as hell - no a/c or even fans in them days, not very effective fly wire with mosquitoes as big as wasps, poor food and worse dining times, and being broken into and cleaned out completely 3 times in 5 months) I was counting the days to complete my 21 month contract and get out of there, and back to civilization. Luckily in May 1969 was transferred to Mount Hagen, and fortunately not returning until March 1991, when we got kicked out of Bougainville. Always felt sorry for those people who were unfortunate enough to have spent their whole stay in such a wonderful country solely in Port Moresby. Stayed in POM till July 1992 and sorry to say it had not got any better as a place to live. Still had some great times and left behind some great friends. Must admit now though with bashing and robbing of soft targets, and the road rage we now have in Perth, maybe POM wasn't so bad after all. You don't know what you got until you lose it.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:07 PM

Maz is on a distinguished road
Those were the days

Many great memories, lots more - dancing to Clockwork Orange (Jack)RIP and the boys, at the 4 mile club, sipping iced chocolate at Pinochios coffe shop in Boroko, the Choulais parties, Leo's truck carting many kids to the drive-in, the list goes on and on, maz
Old 14-09-2007, 04:23 PM

Smile

yea maz,i do remember the clockwork orange and 4 mile club, favorit watering hole.best time ever,leo choulai,i use to drag race him around town, friday or saturday nights when we got bored, best fish & chips at oyster bar across from
boroko police station,pom high best school ever. made many friends there.

OTE=Maz]Many great memories, lots more - dancing to Clockwork Orange (Jack)RIP and the boys, at the 4 mile club, sipping iced chocolate at Pinochios coffe shop in Boroko, the Choulais parties, Leo's truck carting many kids to the drive-in, the list goes on and on, maz[/quote]
Old 16-09-2007, 09:56 AM

Maz is on a distinguished road
Moresby - what fun we had !!!!

Hi Jaycee,
There was also the HUN nightclub, very tiny but lots of fun, hanging out at the pool, and getting absolutely fried, (we used baby oil in those days to tan), how dumb was that!!!, knowing what we know now, ah yes and those drag races around town, Leos' truck did many miles, remember them well, did u live in Lae as well as Moresby?

Cheers,
Maz
Old 17-09-2007, 02:57 PM

Glenda is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretdb
I wondered what other people who lived in Moresby in the late 60's and early 70's remember about it.
Margaret
Wow, I have goose bumps!
I was in Moresby from 1968 till around 1972, I went to Boroko East Primary and Port Moresby High. I lived at the back of my Dads shop in Tabari Place above Dr Jacobi's surgery. Dad had a business called Hayco electronics and did all the sound systems an stereos.
My best friends were Sharon ?( I can't remember her surname), Jan Keen, Joan Barber and also Marion Latch. I know a heap more will come to me after I post this.
I remember the school dances at Port Moresby High and when ever I hear "looking out my back door", it transports me back to that time.
Grade 4 teacher was Mrs Graham, I think I decided that droping out of school in grade 4 would have been a viable option, she certainly left an impression on me.
Mrs Bridges in Grade 5 was fantastic.
We went to Koitaki on Weekends Dad was president there and my parents were at the 4 mile club every night. Movies at the four mile on, I think it was Thursday nights.
I was really into horses so Koitaki was great for that, I didn't have my own horse but people were kind enough to let me borrow theirs.
I remember the Saturday matinees in Boroko pictures, Pinocchio's cafe was a cool place to hang out. Loved salty plumbs, still do.
The show was always great fun and so cheap arm loads of show bags that were really real. Shopping at steamies and BP.
Listening to the radio the argonauts and the latest music was on at about 5pm.
Hanging out at the pool was always fun, the lady who ran the shop was always nice.
Going to the swap shop with my magazines and books once a week. I loved reading.
There are so many memories, and I don't think I ever fitted back into Australia, I was sent to school in Melbourne. I am in Queensland now about an hour from Brisbane which fits me much better.
I can' wait to hear what more people have to say on this forum!
My surname was then Hayward.
Old 17-09-2007, 08:00 PM

Smile

hi glenda, i could have seen you at the 4 mile club, i know joan barber, went to the same primary school at korobosea, joan lived at korobosae on dorren street, i think sharon boyce is your other friend. saw her and joan together alot . where you in form 1 in 1970? marion latch rings a bell i think she was in some of my classes at pom high, from 1970 to form 4, bruce spark was a friend of mine ,claimed to have seen a ufo one night in boroko while been drunk, i dont if that rings a bell 1974 .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenda
Wow, I have goose bumps!
I was in Moresby from 1968 till around 1972, I went to Boroko East Primary and Port Moresby High. I lived at the back of my Dads shop in Tabari Place above Dr Jacobi's surgery. Dad had a business called Hayco electronics and did all the sound systems an stereos.
My best friends were Sharon ?( I can't remember her surname), Jan Keen, Joan Barber and also Marion Latch. I know a heap more will come to me after I post this.
I remember the school dances at Port Moresby High and when ever I hear "looking out my back door", it transports me back to that time.
Grade 4 teacher was Mrs Graham, I think I decided that droping out of school in grade 4 would have been a viable option, she certainly left an impression on me.
Mrs Bridges in Grade 5 was fantastic.
We went to Koitaki on Weekends Dad was president there and my parents were at the 4 mile club every night. Movies at the four mile on, I think it was Thursday nights.
I was really into horses so Koitaki was great for that, I didn't have my own horse but people were kind enough to let me borrow theirs.
I remember the Saturday matinees in Boroko pictures, Pinocchio's cafe was a cool place to hang out. Loved salty plumbs, still do.
The show was always great fun and so cheap arm loads of show bags that were really real. Shopping at steamies and BP.
Listening to the radio the argonauts and the latest music was on at about 5pm.
Hanging out at the pool was always fun, the lady who ran the shop was always nice.
Going to the swap shop with my magazines and books once a week. I loved reading.
There are so many memories, and I don't think I ever fitted back into Australia, I was sent to school in Melbourne. I am in Queensland now about an hour from Brisbane which fits me much better.
I can' wait to hear what more people have to say on this forum!
My surname was then Hayward.
Old 17-09-2007, 08:20 PM

Smile

maz, i recall the hun,i never lived in lae but was there at the tech collage for few weeks.peter fong and robert chee use to to play at the tabu at badili , have ever been to the cryistal rapids at rouna for a swim? what else do you remember about port moresby QUOTE=Maz]Hi Jaycee,There was also the HUN nightclub, very tiny but lots of fun, hanging out at the pool, and getting absolutely fried, (we used baby oil in those days to tan), how dumb was that!!!, knowing what we know now, ah yes and those drag races around town, Leos' truck did many miles, remember them well, did u live in Lae as well as Moresby?

Cheers,
Maz[/quote]
Old 18-09-2007, 01:29 PM

Glenda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee
hi glenda, i could have seen you at the 4 mile club, i know joan barber, went to the same primary school at korobosea, joan lived at korobosae on dorren street, i think sharon boyce is your other friend. saw her and joan together alot . where you in form 1 in 1970? marion latch rings a bell i think she was in some of my classes at pom high, from 1970 to form 4, bruce spark was a friend of mine ,claimed to have seen a ufo one night in boroko while been drunk, i dont if that rings a bell 1974 .
Hi Jaycee,
Yes it was Sharon Boyce, when I went down south to school we lost touch and I will be forever sad about that. I stayed at Joans a lot, her Mum was the dressmaker at Lexie's dress shop, it had all the really cool stuff.
My Dad used to do the movies at the 4 mile. The name Bruce Spark really rings a bell, and I wish I could remember but it will come to me though, lots of stuff is coming back reading this forum. I left in 72 to go to south to school.
Do you remember Anne Mulcay? I met up with her Brother on a bus one day and it turned out that she lived around the corner from me. We stayed in touch till we were in out mid 20's. Her Sister Kim was older and well known at POM.
Do you remember a boy we used to call titch, everyone really liked him. I can remember him getting really drunk at one of the school dances and we were all trying to sober him up.
I'm pretty sure I was in form 1 in 1970. I can remember that year one of the girls commited suicide, that had a huge impact on the whole school.
Form one math teacher used to comb his hair a lot and I did get kicked out of his class a couple of times because I had a pretty bad attitude at times.
I remember one of the boys in form 1, his Mother died and I often thought how dificult that must have been for him.
Mrs Herd was the home ec teacher, I really enjoyed that class. There was also a new teacher who drove a pale blue ford capri, can't remember what he taught though.
I can remember a boy called Uki who was often at the 4 mile, he had a dragster bike.
Do you remember the fish and chips at the place out on the road to the drive in, the guy who owned it drove a green sports car.
There are so many memories, and I wish I had some school photos so I could place people.
cheers, Glenda