Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 05-12-2008, 05:08 AM

Hawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotel Cecil
Very sad to hear that the old place has gone. I have many photos of the old buildings and pool, with me and my sister swimming in it. I can remember the frangepany ? trees in the beer garden and when I smell them today I am transported back to Lae and being the lik lik master hehe. If anyone would like to see the pics let me know and I will arrange a photobucket site with the pics on same . Cheers Ian.
t
Sorry Ian, but I've only just seen this message of yours. I would love to see the pictures if it could be arranged. She might have been old, but the Cecil was a gracious old lady. All the best Roger
Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 PM

Larian is on a distinguished road
i would love to see the photos too
Old 30-06-2009, 11:03 PM

bbengel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by "xtc" View Post
Vee Streei is directly opposite the SDA church at 'Top Town' (next to the old red cross office behind the commonwealth war cemetery). It is actually 'V' shaped. One end opens directly toward the Nurses Quarters and the other toward the SDA church to be more precise. The houese at the bottom of the vee were bought off by someone who opened op the Lae Travellers Inn, a popular no alcohol low budget decent lodge acommodation and the Lae Ladies Inn.
CIG was the owner of the place in 1971 My name is Bernie Bengel me and my Family occupied the house for a period of 6 years I was the supervisor at CIG, the best times.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 AM

bbengel is on a distinguished road
Sure do.
Ian and Iris Mcrae and there dog Sooty lived on the other side of the house and the Manager of CIG was Jim Barter and later on Barry.
Great times

Sorry Tony I Guess you are the Son of Bruce ? Please tell me " Where are they now "
Regards
Bernie

Last edited by bbengel; 04-07-2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Getting Old
Old 23-07-2009, 03:09 PM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Lae-Markham wantoks, Wendy Phillips here (ex-Lae resident 1954-67).

For those who remember the magic of the 2006 Lae-Markham reunion, and for all those who missed out last time, we are holding another Lae-Markham reunion on 4 October 2009 - see details below. This was a sudden decision - people have been asking when were we going to have another one, but I have been undergoing treatment for cancer for the past 6 months and wasn't sure I felt up to hosting another reunion. Then, in late March, while waiting for my daily radiation treatment at the Mater in Brisbane, I ran into Mr Bricknell, the headmaster of Coronation Primary in the early 60's, and a couple of days later, Jim and Anna Seeto. My enthusiam was suddenly rekindled, and I sent out the first emails to my contact list on 2nd April. We have 309 people on our "expressions of interest" list as at 17 Jul 2009, with only room for 400, so get in quick - I'd hate to see anyone miss out again. Meanwhile, check out the links below to the 2006 reunion guest list, souvenir booklet, and Facebook photo albums, where many of the guests have been "tagged".

http://www.wendyclarke.com/Reunion/G...list%20web.htm
http://www.wendyclarke.com/Coronatio...let%202006.pdf
http://www.facebook.com/wendyemc#/al...1&id=548597858
http://www.facebook.com/wendyemc#/al...2&id=548597858

LAE-MARKHAM REUNION 2009 - WANPELA BIKPELA PATI I KAMAP. BY INVITATION ONLY - GUEST LIST LIMITED TO 400.

Where: Broncos Leagues Club, Fulcher Road, Red Hill, Brisbane Qld, Ph: (07) 3858 9000, in the Auditorium. The venue is wheelchair-friendly, and there is plenty of parking on Sundays, in club grounds, on the street outside and in the next-door TAFE College car park.

When: Sunday 4th October 2009 from 11 am to 6 pm BY INVITATION ONLY, final RSVP date now 25 August 2009.
Contact Wendy Clarke (nee Phillips) for your invitation.
Phone: (07) 3299 1290 (prefix 617 for overseas guests)
Mobile: 0412 950 808
Email: wendyemc@optusnet.com.au

Who: Anyone who lived in Lae/Markham Valley at any time prior to Independence 1975 (doesn’t matter if you stayed on after, or are still there, just as long as you arrived before), plus their significant other, whether PNG or not, and/or any adult children either PNG-born or with an interest in PNG. Also, anyone who had close ties to Lae/Markham prior to Independence, with friends there whom they visited often, and any post-Independence Lae friends of existing guests up to 1985. The aim of this reunion is about connecting with people we knew way back when, so that almost everyone there will be someone you knew or whose family you knew. There will still be plenty of those "Oh my God!" moments so many of you experienced in 2006 - we have tracked down a lot more old friends/classmates since then - and this will be your last chance to be part of the magic, wantoks - I will be hosting no more Lae-Markham reunions after this one.

Admission Cost: $35 per person, covers auditorium hire, name badges etc., decorations, lucky dip prizes, old Lae/PNG photo slideshow, reunion souvenir booklet as per 2006, finger food only, though a much more substantial menu than in 2006 (pre-lunch nibbles, lunch and afternoon tea). Drinks not included in admission price, to be purchased individually at club bar prices. See contact details above for your invitation.
Old 16-08-2009, 12:44 PM

Lugs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimbaLuna View Post
Hi Kelli, are you related to the Chang's as well. I was a very good friend of Trudy Chang (we have drifted since she got married and had children). Her parents owned the Red Rose restaurant when I was a kid growing up. I was born in '67 so you are a little younger than me. I too left Lae in 1981.

My dad used to work at the Lae Biscuit factory as it was owned by Moreby bakery and my dad was a pastry chef at first and then manager for 16 years before buying Lae Photography in 4th street.

I also remember Lae International Primary School. It was called Coronation Street Primary School and then they changed it to Lae International.

I had Mrs McIntyre as well! Ahhh what great memories ... thanks :0) Heidi
Hey Heidi,
small world I lived in 9th st. around that time and my father was working for Morobe Busicuits...

Mike Lugton...Im prety sure Trudy was in my year at Bulae
Old 28-02-2010, 11:02 PM

maxi is on a distinguished road
Can any one please help, I lived in the MAL mess until I got Married in Dec 64 and then moved to Palm Court Flats (which street were they in). We then moved to a MAL duplex in Hibiscus Avenue till we moved to Madang in 68.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:25 PM

rowanh is on a distinguished road
Lae and Rabaul street maps

You can download Lae and Rabaul street maps, of 1994 vintage, from
http://users.tpg.com.au/rowandh
They are JPEG bitmaps but will still print nicely.

RowanHughes
Old 12-09-2010, 01:15 PM

Rod Blackwell is on a distinguished road
We lived in Hibiscus avenue for a while. Before that we were over near the market. It was great in Hibiscus ave cos i could walk to the golf club. As i kid i used to leave my clubs in the corner in the locker room.
Old 27-01-2011, 04:28 AM

clenehan is on a distinguished road
Hotel Cecil

Good evening Ian

Hope you are well. Lived in Laei circa 1970 and would be most grateful if you could send the pics

Many thanks

Christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotel Cecil View Post
Very sad to hear that the old place has gone. I have many photos of the old buildings and pool, with me and my sister swimming in it. I can remember the frangepany ? trees in the beer garden and when I smell them today I am transported back to Lae and being the lik lik master hehe. If anyone would like to see the pics let me know and I will arrange a photobucket site with the pics on same . Cheers Ian.
t