Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Finding (Old) Friends

Finding (Old) Friends Come here if you want to find and catch up with your old friends. Also try the School Forums if your friend was associated with one.

Old 05-11-2003, 12:18 PM

sharon is on a distinguished road
Question highland lutheran international school

if any one has any info on this school and what it was like back in 1957-1964 please let me know was this school a boarding school?e-mail me at godessx8@hotmail.com
thanks sharon
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 10-11-2003, 02:52 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Brief History of Highlands International School

The Lutheran Missionaries from America came to Enga Province and settled in the 1940s in various places namely Yaramanda, Amapyaka and Irialya near Wabag town. While bringing the gospel into the Highlands and more particularly Enga, they also brought other services such as schools and hospitals too.

One of the most outstanding schools established in 1955 was the Amapyaka International Primary School in the Wapenamanda district in the Enga Province.

They enrolled standard one to six and Form 1 to Form 4 was done in Australia. The school was a boarding school from 1955 to 1964 where Lutheran students from the Highlands came to enrol and got the best education, which was taught by the Americans using their syllabus.

However, the school become degraded and lost its reputation since 1978 in the event that bishops were elected. Due to this conflict of interest between former Bishop Wais and elected Bishop Piso the funds normally get from America was cut off and most of the established projects and services have been shut down.

However, Brunt Gilbert who put an individual effort to this school recently upgraded Amapyaka International Primary School to Highlands Lutheran International School in 1996.

Mr Gilbert is the current principal of the school. The school is now enrolling grade one to twelve and its level of education is extremely high.

Editors Note: Many thanks must go to my workmate Wiap Pando for his contribution to responding to my HELP question.

He contacted his own wantoks much older than him who emailed this info today...happy reading...
Old 10-11-2003, 11:28 PM

sharon is on a distinguished road
re:highland lutheran school

thank you so much for your info on highland school,i really apprieciate it!
sharon
Old 01-03-2008, 01:55 AM

Melanie Hayes is on a distinguished road
I boarded at teh school around 1975

I have fond memories of the boarding school. By the time I attendance was small. My self and my sister stayed with the Greens during the week and would stay at other houses on teh week-ends. I would love to chat with those that have similar memoires. Melanie "Wohlberg"
Old 14-06-2008, 01:36 AM

shakesearer is on a distinguished road
Boarding School

Hi Melanie, I also boarded with the Greens at Amapyaka. I was there from about 1974 to '76 and was also quite young. Remember lots of fun and games and Mr Greens great ice-cream with toffee bits! Was wonderful to read your message about having been there too. Romayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie Hayes
I have fond memories of the boarding school. By the time I attendance was small. My self and my sister stayed with the Greens during the week and would stay at other houses on teh week-ends. I would love to chat with those that have similar memoires. Melanie "Wohlberg"
Old 17-04-2015, 12:41 AM

JEP is on a distinguished road
Amapyaka

Hello fellow students,

My brother and I were also a boarders at the school but only for a period in 1974. I also remember making ice cream with Mr Green one weekend. Pity the main building was burnt down.

James
Old 15-05-2017, 09:03 AM

Help for Anita is on a distinguished road
Hi there!
We need help for our little loving girl from Tarif, Hela province.
We are a German couple and had worked with the organisation "doctors without borders", MSF, in the Tari hospital for nine month.
Our girl Anita, we got to know there in that time, now is visiting a school in Tari and every day she walks a long way from her hut and back again.
To continue school, we now are looking for a boarding school for her and as we were told, the Highland Lutheran International School is one of the very best.
Unfortenutaly we cannot get in contact to the school.
What wenn know is:
PO Box 363,
Wabag, Enga Province,
Papua New Guinea,
Tel: +675 547 1235
Fax: +675 547 1235
Acting Principal:
Paul J C van Wezel.

Please,
Please, you all, who you are reading these words, send us correct and working contact datas of the school. The best will be email, because telephone call from Germany is difficult.
We thank you so much for your help!!!!

Best greetings from Germany ,
Martina & Klaus
Old 13-01-2018, 04:37 PM

wabaglonglong is on a distinguished road
HLIS Amapyaka

hlisadmin@hotmail.com