Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Port Moresby

Old 07-04-2005, 08:07 PM

agro01 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation how safe is port morseby?

I am coming to Port Morseby at the end of april I am told not to ventre any where on my own , is this true.
Is any one in Morseby into woodturning?
regards
Agro
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 08-04-2005, 12:03 PM

crowboy is on a distinguished road
I spent a wonderful three months working in POM recently. I too was told similar things before I went there and pretty much none of it turned out to be true - but I was prudent. Attitude is an important factor, you can choose to wear a hard hat or a baseball cap on your head (and in your mind). Perhaps some helpful hints;

a. Get advice from locals - the only real way to do this is be open, respectful and friendly to the people you work with. Gain their respect and they will go out of their way to help you. Such bonding is the most beneficial aspect of living with PNG nationals, it is only a small percentage that cause the troubles.
b. Be prudent with your personal security measures such as choose car parking places carefully, being aware of your surroundings, have a plan to follow should you have an unfortunate experience and so on. There are some other posts on this forum giving more detailed advice. It is mostly about common sense, the trouble is that common sense is just not as common as it should be.
c. If you are out and about - and don't just go somewhere without a specific reason - act with confidence (NOTE: not arrogance) and respect. A smile and friendly banter goes a long way to leaving a good impression. If you look lost or as if you have no idea of what you are doing then it is much easier for someone to assess you as a potential target.
d. Don't do something inappropriate that will draw attention to yourself - ie non-respectful, unwelcome advances and so on.
e. Start slowly and then expand yourself as you become more confident and your personal knowledge of POM increases. Once you get to that point, the true beauty of PNG and it's people will be revealed to you - if you let it.

Keep your heart (and your eyes) open with the right attitude and you can really enjoy the experience just as so many others have before you.

Crowboy
Old 14-04-2005, 08:07 AM

mangitbay is on a distinguished road
Smile

Be who you are and what you are. Learn to listen to others if you're coming on a work visa. It will be a testing time for you if you have not gone out of your country to work elsewhere.

Learn not to compare the level of work done at your new surroundings to that of the your previous work place. Give credit to those that deserve it and help those that needed a bit of push to get the best out of them. In another words, be positive in what you say and do. If you require information or local knowledge, ask you co-workers and stay away from office politics, even if you have an opinion.

Port Moresby is a great place to work as it opens your eyes to a lot work ethical challenges. Something that you will never get else where in the world!

I agree with Crowboy's comments.

later..mangitbay
The beginning of wisdom is fear of the LORD, which is formed with the faithful in the womb. Sirach 1:12- Pro-Life

Last edited by mangitbay; 14-04-2005 at 08:09 AM.