Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > School Mates

School Mates Catch up with your school mates from PNG. TISOL, POMIS, RIS, POM Grammar, Bulae, and a lot more!

Old 25-04-2016, 08:52 PM

Darren Wright is on a distinguished road
Couple of Mendi Pics

Couple of old Mendi pics....
The school pic has Mrs Ralfe standing at the back. The pic was taken in 1976 by Fif Favetta ADO in Mendi then. Before my time at the school but maybe somebody else out there is in the pic?? The house was the last house in Mendi we lived in and was only a couple of hundred meters to the school. It was next door to the head local policeman's house. The kid on the balcony is Mark Favetta if anybody knows him. I am 41 and from memory Mark was maybe 3 years older than me. Uncle Fif was great fun and always playing pranks with us kids and he used to do little magic tricks with coins and his hands! The final photo is of a twin otter coming in to land in Mendi, the big grass area behind is what we used to walk across to cut the corner back from the Clive Steel club or the pool to get to the side of the airstrip I lived on. You walked across the grass paddock and then down the side of the berm, across the road and back up again to cut the corner at the end of the airstrip on to the road that ran parallel to the airstrip. The school was on this road as well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg last house we lived in mendi.jpg (228.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg mendi school 1976 with vera rolfe.jpg (152.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg mendi airstrip.jpg (118.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 29-04-2016, 10:39 AM

Dion is on a distinguished road
I remember staying with the Borwicks for a few weeks back in 1978 when I was 7 - Grade 2 at MIPS. My parents went away on a trip to Lae to buy a pile of furniture for the house we were moving to in Tari. My dad used to work for Mendi Motors and we moved to Tari for him to run the local workshop.
Somewhere I've got an old class photo from 1978 taken on the steps of our classroom that I'll have to find and post.
Old 13-05-2016, 12:52 AM

Darren Wright is on a distinguished road
Staying with the Borwicks

Hi Dion,

We were still living in Tari in 1978. I'm pretty sure we moved to Mendi in 1979. I remember that Aunty Jill worked at Mendi Motors when we were living in Mendi. Was she working there when your Dad was there? I mentioned to my folks that you had replied and they were hoping to know your surname and parents names. Would be surprising if they didn't at least know of your parents, I remember Tari wasn't overly large in 1978! I forwarded a copy of your reply on to Aunty Jill and Uncle Bruce as well. I'm sure they will remember you, every time I see them Jill takes great pleasure in regaling me with stories about all of the silly things Lisa and I used to get up to as little kids! Do you remember Lisa at all?

I've also got a bunch of photo's stored away courtesy of a father who was a keen photographer and always had a darkroom in the house to develop his photo's! I'll have a look through them at some point and put some on here. Have you ever been in touch with anyone else from those days in Mendi?

Cheers mate and thanks for responding! I haven't heard from Samantha Jacobs at all. Did she ever contact you? I remember her and her father Eddie.

Regards
Darren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I remember staying with the Borwicks for a few weeks back in 1978 when I was 7 - Grade 2 at MIPS. My parents went away on a trip to Lae to buy a pile of furniture for the house we were moving to in Tari. My dad used to work for Mendi Motors and we moved to Tari for him to run the local workshop.
Somewhere I've got an old class photo from 1978 taken on the steps of our classroom that I'll have to find and post.