Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Port Moresby

Old 12-11-2003, 02:43 AM

Bruja is on a distinguished road
Question To drive or not to drive... in POM with only an Australian issued driver's license.

Are we allowed to drive in POM with a Provisional or normal car (Class C) driver's license that's been issued in Australia?

Is there an exemption/cooling period for Aussie driver's license holders if we stay in PNG for 30 days or less and drive without a PNG license?

I have a Provisional license issued here in Sydney and am not sure if I should drive up in POM. I don't and never have held a PNG driver's license.

Please explain.. :-)

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 12-11-2003, 09:23 AM
lean and keen ;)

muppie is on a distinguished road
I think you can do that .. as one can drive in Australia with PNG license but for Provisional licence.... maybe ok too hehe not too sure.... I'll ask aussie she normally knows this stuff
Old 12-11-2003, 10:21 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Hi there,

You can drive on an Australian license for 3 months but I would strongly recommend you obtain a PNG drivers license once you arrive.

Reason being, sometimes you strike an unreasonable policeman and trying to explain that you have only been here for a short while can get frustrating especially late at night and if you are a woman it could be quite frightening.

Hence, my advice is to front up at the Motor Registry Office, fill out a form, put 'Class 1' on it and ask for a PNG Passport. No need to go into details about only being here a short while.

Another advantage is that you will have another license for three years that you cant loose any points on....haha

Points in Australia can be quite harsh especially for a 'P' driver.

Old 12-11-2003, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the info...

Much appreciated... better make a visit first thing to the Motor Registry Office once touching down in POM! :-)
Old 12-11-2003, 09:46 PM

bahbah is on a distinguished road
Bruja,

I got stopped by the police at the road blocks at the Hohola market area one evening (June '03) and produced my overseas licence and explained I was only in-country for 3 weeks. He insisted I produce a PNG licence (expired for 4 years now) but I explained that I didn't require one as I was only gonna be there for a short time. I eventually convinced him after I made a phone call (thanks to the satellite mobile phones) to a much more knowledgeable officer at the Boroko station who in turn explained to him that I was OK.
Most of these fellas are general duty police and they know half (if not, none) about the technical legalities of the law. So beware!
As mentioned earlier, you're technically OK for 3 months after which you must obtain a PNG licence. I believe "P" licence is OK except you can't hire a car from the rental companies on that licence (insurance issues).
Safe driving!
Old 13-11-2003, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the valuable info bahbah!

Just wondering.. would it be advisable to carry a copy or the original of my airline ticket? That way I have "solid" proof that I am only in PNG for 30 days? So it'd be okay to use my "P" plates on a vehicle in PNG and drive with my Aussie "P" license?

Sorry for sounding like a real dumb-***, but I'd rather get some back-up info before taking the plunge!!
Old 13-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Hi again, unless you are broke, just spend the K40 and get a PNG drivers license....you still get to keep your aussie one.

As I said previously where it asks you for the class...put : Class 1

Then 100% absolutely NO PROBLEMS!!!!

Happy Driving, worry less...get your license and ENJOY MORE!!!

one more thing...dont carry in your vehicle any more than you have to and definitely not your ticket coz if you were to loose it do you realise how hard it is to get credited and another one issued?? believe me you do not want to go down that path!

Motor Registry Office - HERE I COME!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor-registry-office.jpg (24.9 KB, 489 views)
Old 13-11-2003, 11:10 PM

OK OK..

danke schoen..