Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 27-06-2006, 06:44 PM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgreg
well i am back in australia now and have all my png photos again... will upload some gradually as i scan them.

this re-union interests me but why is it only for pre-independence people? i lived in lae in the 90's and had a great experience too. PNG is still a wonderful country post-independence.
Hi drgreg,

The venue we are using has size constraints and we already had half the numbers from my LaeKidz group when we started - people who were born or grew up in PNG in the 50's and 60's, and knew each other and each others' families. As our guest list continues to grow it is composed of "friends of friends", - more of the original "Laekidz" and people they worked with or dated in Lae in the 60's and 70's, and even some of their parents if they're still around. Most reunions are for people who knew each other "back when" - there is nothing discriminatory about our having set a time limit. Why not organize your own reunion for people who were there when you were, or put your name down for the next biennial Gold Coast reunion ( Queen's Birthday weekend 2008 - they just had one), which has room for a lot more people than we do and is open to all ex-PNG residents from all eras.

Cheers, Wendy
Old 29-06-2006, 10:23 AM

drgreg is on a distinguished road
well i finally found some photos of 3 Mile... i have them on my flickr website here

i'll put some in the png photo gallery soon
Old 18-08-2006, 02:19 PM

grobertson is on a distinguished road
Hi,

My name is Gordon Manub and have lived in Lae since I was 5 years old. I am now 34 and have been searching for photos of Lae from the yester years to compare with what Lae is like today.

Is it possible for you to send me some of those photos and tell me where you lived when you lived in Lae. My parents lived at Gurney Street and worked at the hospital.

Kind regards,

Gordon
Old 18-08-2006, 05:07 PM

DonnaHarvey-Hal is on a distinguished road
HI Gordon.Aunty Donna here.If you wish to email your cousin Nadia,she is nkapi@stmarg.qld.edu.au
She always feels so bad that she has no contact with her father's family.
There are quite a few photos here on this board.experiment with different threads and you will find some.
Love to your Mum and dad and Wilma and Kelli
Old 07-09-2006, 02:06 AM

drobbo is on a distinguished road
Botanical Gardens :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyemc
Photo 9
God, I remember hooning around the Botanical Gardens at midnight in the pouring rain in Pauly Comboy's tiny car with 5 people squashed inside and all over each other...legs out the windows so we could all fit...driving as fast as we could...turning off the headlights then pulling on the handbrake...shutting our eyes and screaming in delight as we spun around and around...not a care in the world. Mad! How we survived that era is beyond me...but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:53 PM

You would be so saddened to see the Botanical gardens today as you cannot even get over the long grass to get in to the gate.
Gardens? People are amazed when I tell them you could once take your kids to paddle in a little pond.They shudder when I say you could go there and have a barbecue and not too many PNG people could envisage a black swan let alone realise that some once swam gracefully on a little waterway.Orchids?Distant memories only although there are a few purple vandas up at the top but they must be guarded by men with shotguns or they wouldn't still be there.I don't think they flower as they wouldn't have had any fertiliser in years.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:53 PM

webby is on a distinguished road
Botanical Gardens

What ever happened to the wadeing pool at the Gardens? From memory it was built by the local Rotary Club. I was just on Google Earth looking at Lae, and I spotted an aircraft in the Gardens, a Douglas DC-3/C-47 from the look of it. Can anyone tell me how long it has been there? Its between Diddymans Ck and Milford Haven Rd.

On the subject of the gardens, I still have the scars from the gravel roads. Ian Walker and I had pedaled up to the commerical centre to sample a new taste sensation ( potato scallops !!) and some one dared me to ride down the hill from the War Cemetry level to the Milford Haven level. From memory, it went down hill, leveled off briefly, then down hill. Any way I came off big time and as I said earlier still bear the scars.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:07 PM

Angry

About ten years ago they put that DC3 in to the gardens.There was at one stage a group called Friends oF the Botanical Gardens who had very noble intentions but in all honesty they would have been battling to do much as the damage and neglect is pretty sad.

I would have loved to have been involved but I am in Bulolo and Wau so too hard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby
What ever happened to the wadeing pool at the Gardens? From memory it was built by the local Rotary Club. I was just on Google Earth looking at Lae, and I spotted an aircraft in the Gardens, a Douglas DC-3/C-47 from the look of it. Can anyone tell me how long it has been there? Its between Diddymans Ck and Milford Haven Rd.

On the subject of the gardens, I still have the scars from the gravel roads. Ian Walker and I had pedaled up to the commerical centre to sample a new taste sensation ( potato scallops !!) and some one dared me to ride down the hill from the War Cemetry level to the Milford Haven level. From memory, it went down hill, leveled off briefly, then down hill. Any way I came off big time and as I said earlier still bear the scars.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:38 PM

drgreg is on a distinguished road
i went on a tour of the gardens run by friends of the gardens in about 1994. things were run down then but still beautiful - i am sad to hear that the place has gone wild.
Old 15-11-2006, 10:03 AM

"xtc" is on a distinguished road
http://www.pngbd.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12335&page=1&highlight=gusap

Hi guys,
for your interest(s), I have posted a few pictures of the environs of Lae especially of the highway out towards Gusap and Kassam. check it out in our great site here http://www.pngbd.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=gusap
I keep telling people I meet here in Australia and the US that Lae is the most beautiful place I know in the world (or am I simply living in the past ?). And does anyone know where the name Kassam originated from. Like Siassi, I've often thought it was local until I read somewhere that that Siassi was an Italian navigator, and Rabaul a German name that I read somewhere also....... It might be a good idea for someone to post names of PNG places and where they originated from and how to pronounce it (eg. Lae was supposed to be Lahe as I understood it).

An early Wonderful and Merry Christmas to all you wonderful people who grace the wonderful pages of PNGBD including the site administrators. Keep up with the wonderful contributions

"xtc"

Last edited by "xtc"; 15-11-2006 at 10:12 AM.