Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 26-11-2005, 10:09 PM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean
Wendy
I was Lae born & bred, have loved looking at your pictures. Are you after old photos of Lae? What are you using them for? My parents moved to Lae in 1963 as newlyweds from Scotland and stayed until 1985. I know they have a lot of old photos, slides etc. Let me know if you're interested.
Gillian
Hi Gillian,

Sorry I haven't been in touch before this - I had a wedding to organize for my daughter and have been away a lot in the last couple of months. I am particularly looking for post-war to Independence photos of PNG, especially Lae; we have a unique heritage and I think it should be preserved. Who were your parents, BTW, and what did they do in Lae?

Cheers, Wendy
Old 16-03-2006, 07:41 PM

Glenda Clapp is on a distinguished road
Hi

My name is Glenda Clapp (nee Jones). I was in Lae with my parents Elva and Ken Jones (MBE) from 1955 to 1974. My father was the Manager for the Artifical Limb Factory at the Lae Hospital. I attend the Lae Primary school and Lae High School. I worked for the Dept of Transport before going to work in Bougainville and Port Moresby. We lived in 7th Street - we had many friends, some of which we are still in contact with being the Connells, Smiths, Jacksons, Dobells, Mortons, to name a few.

It is so nice to surf this site and enjoy the memories of our years in PNG - which were wonderful - such a good life with lots of great social life - and strong long lasting friendships were made (I guess because we could not rely on 'rellies').

We originally came from Perth and are still here. I am married (28 years) with one son (21 years). My parents are in reasonable health - Dad 83 and Mun 81 - Dad has been retired since he was 50 years - and they have enjoyed a wonderful and fulfilling retirement making many and varied trips around the place - but now they only do day trips around Perth etc.

My son is at Uni doing Pharmacy and Forensic Science. I am still working - commercial and retail property management - which I still enjoy.

I would love to hear from anyone who knew us - it would be great to have communications.

I will endeavour to retrive old photos from our 'Lae days' and will place them on the site for others to enjoy.

Take care
Old 25-03-2006, 06:16 PM

Hi Glenda,

Great to hear from an old friend and classmate. I'm just back from a months' holiday at beautiful Cape Hillsborough - arrived home this afternoon so have lots of mail to catch up on; will be in touch.

Cheers, Wendy
Old 02-04-2006, 09:37 AM

BLACKSHEEP123 is on a distinguished road
WENDY , THIS WAS AN AREA ACROSS FROM THE SHOE STORE. I THINK IT OPENED IN THE LATE 60s MAYBE 68. I BOUGHT A SHIRT THERE. THEY HAD THE " HIP" STUFF.
BRCE
Old 02-04-2006, 05:59 PM

Thanks Bruce. Just popping over to reply to your other message

Cheers, Wendy
Old 21-05-2006, 09:44 PM

Lae-markham Valley Reunion, Brisbane 30/09/2006

From Brian Zavattaro and Wendy Phillips.

Hi guys. We have finalized details for our Lae-Markham Pre-Independence Reunion. There will be lots of old wantoks there: it's shaping up to be a great night! Among other surprises planned for the night, Jim Sinclair, author of Golden Gateway: Lae and the Province of Morobe, will be our guest speaker.

When: Saturday 30th September 2006

Where: Colmslie Hotel Function Room
Junction Road (Cnr Wynnum Road, Morningside, Brisbane, QLD
(opposite Morningside Central shopping centre)

Who: Unfortunately (well, maybe not so unfortunate at that :-) we have a full house and then some (335 people) as at 15/8/2006 (the final RSVP date). Remember, folks, entry is by invitation only. Please don't embarrass yourself (and us) by turning up at the door if you are not on our final guest list. Regretfully, we will have to turn you away as the night would be spoilt for everyone if we tried to pack in too many people.

Time: 6.45-7.00pm in the main bar-situated on the ground floor, then we will proceed to the function room upstairs at approx 7:00pm. Like Cinderella, we have to be out by midnight, but the nightclub downstairs will be in full swing until 3 a.m. for anyone who wants to party on.

Cost: $25-00 per person, paid in advance. This covers the hire and decoration of the room, audio-visual equipment for the night’s entertainment, lots of yummy nibblies, and miscellaneous expenses (name badges, etc). Each person will be responsible for the purchase of their own drinks at normal lounge bar prices.

Anyone who missed out this time but would like to give us their contact details in case we are crazy enough to want to do this again please contact me at
wendyemc@optusnet.com.au
or phone: (07)32991290

and if you want to know who's coming this time around, check out:
http://www.wendyclarke.com/Reunion/G...list%20web.htm

Cheers, Wendy

Last edited by wendyemc; 28-08-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:10 PM

thornton is on a distinguished road
tpng

wow. just surfed onto this site. talk about bittersweet memories. my dad was a chopper pilot for crowleys in 1966. i had just finished school in uk and went out for a year with my parents and 2 siblings. couldn't resist the opportunity. we lived on boundary road, the other side of eric woos. after a year my family went back to uk but i remained. a decision i've always regretted. i earned very good money, had a job with comworks and lived in the hostel on huon road, a few rackets on the side, ended up working on the copper mine at bougainville again in hostels, all found, all money earned just pocket money. for five years in a very formative part of my life i lived mostly with alcoholics, played cards, boozed too much in comworks club, lae club, rsl, ansett club, etc, etc. hardly spoke to a girl the whole time, they were so thin on the ground. finally got a grip of myself by age 22 and returned to uk and sort of picked up on normal life, but all my schoolfriends were by now doctors or lawyers. of course, my travels were seen as romantic, but i've forever wondered what i'd have made of myself if i'd stayed away from the territory!!
cawarra claret and barossa pearl. be specific, say south pacific.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton
wow. just surfed onto this site. talk about bittersweet memories. my dad was a chopper pilot for crowleys in 1966. i had just finished school in uk and went out for a year with my parents and 2 siblings. couldn't resist the opportunity. we lived on boundary road, the other side of eric woos. after a year my family went back to uk but i remained. a decision i've always regretted. i earned very good money, had a job with comworks and lived in the hostel on huon road, a few rackets on the side, ended up working on the copper mine at bougainville again in hostels, all found, all money earned just pocket money. for five years in a very formative part of my life i lived mostly with alcoholics, played cards, boozed too much in comworks club, lae club, rsl, ansett club, etc, etc. hardly spoke to a girl the whole time, they were so thin on the ground. finally got a grip of myself by age 22 and returned to uk and sort of picked up on normal life, but all my schoolfriends were by now doctors or lawyers. of course, my travels were seen as romantic, but i've forever wondered what i'd have made of myself if i'd stayed away from the territory!!
cawarra claret and barossa pearl. be specific, say south pacific.
Hi Thornton,

What can I say? I guess growing up in PNG was a whole different experience from just "arriving" there, and it's true that a lot of boozing went on at those clubs :-) I don't think you really wanted to be a lawyer, like your friends, though, or you'd have done it - 22 isn't too old to start studying. My daughter left school at 15 at Junior level because she was bored, trained as a legal stenographer, then a paralegal, then after a few years of partying did her law degree part-time for six years while working, and graduated with first class honours. She, too, did a lot of drinking along the way - if you think people drank a lot in PNG you should see young Brisbane lawyers in action! Happily, she eventually found a great guy - a non-drinker, incidentally, though not a wowser, and they were married 12 months after meeting. I don't mean to sound preachy; I didn't live up to my early potential either, education-wise, but have come to realize it was because the desire just wasn't strong enough. Success isn't necessarily about money and fame, though. If you can pay your own way through life however you do it, and manage not to hurt too many other people along the way, then you ARE a success.

Cheers, Wendy

Last edited by wendyemc; 03-06-2006 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:57 AM

thornton is on a distinguished road
tpng redux

hi wendy. i'm afraid you do sound a bit preachy although that's a tendency that often goes hand in glove with middle aged women. i didn't make myself clear. it wasn't that i consider myself a failure - a no-hoper as aussies used to say - and feel sorry for myself. i don't at all. i returned to the uk, moved to the usa, made some money, met a wonderful girl, got married and today have a happy marriage and three kids. without wanting to sound conceited, i'd like to think i've succeeded at most of the things that were important to me. it's just that the mention of tpng reminds me of that nagging black-hole in my life. i mean, it was great fun, and i think i learned to get on with my fellow man, which is an asset that i've always made use of. but when reminded of it i think, wheesh, wasting those five years marking time, when i could have used them to do something more....what's the word?...useful. anyway, i didn't mean to disparage your homeland and apologise if i somehow gave that impression. just as eskimos gaze at frozen wasteland, or bushmen scan the kalahari...and think "no place like home"...i understand your affection for the territory and the memories it hold for you. i used the adjective bittersweet to describe my experience. certainly more sweet than bitter. in fact, no bitterness at all. jaundiced is perhaps a better word. in anycase, my role in your website is over. go well and happy retrospects.
Old 27-06-2006, 12:38 PM

drgreg is on a distinguished road
well i am back in australia now and have all my png photos again... will upload some gradually as i scan them.

this re-union interests me but why is it only for pre-independence people? i lived in lae in the 90's and had a great experience too. PNG is still a wonderful country post-independence.