Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 14-06-2004, 12:45 PM

Glennis Korsman is on a distinguished road
hi wendy.......... re photo 19 i feel the building is the centre court of the IPI building of which pauls cafe was on the corner out the front it was in 1st stree............love looking at the photos........ex lae it Glennis korsman
Old 15-06-2004, 05:51 PM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
IPI Building

Thanks, Glennis. Glad you enjoyed the pics. I couldn't put them on my website as they're not mine, but this is a good place to share them. Your thoughts confirm what others have told me, and now that my memory has been prodded sufficiently I do vaguely remember the building, which was completed not that long before I left Lae. Did you and Larian manage to get in touch with Gay Lumme?

Regards, Wendy
Old 29-07-2004, 10:17 PM

Larian is on a distinguished road
Cool looking for gay

hi Wendy, glennis found gay she is living over in western australia but only found her through her brother who lives in rocky and so far that is it.
Old 20-09-2004, 08:50 PM

robyndillon54 is on a distinguished road
Smile

HI Wendy my name is Robyn Dillon I married Geoff Sawyers years ago and I am sure his mother had a dress shop in this shopping centre unfortunately his mother has past away now but I do remember it I also remember it being nice but the lights in this photo make it look grander than I remember it being Geoff and I are no longer married but we are still very good friends so I will tell him about this site and see if he can remember anything .

Kindest Regards
Robyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyemc
Photo 19. This one has me stumped. It's in the postcard series my Mum and Dad posted South in the early to mid 60's but I don't remember anything quite this grand in Lae in that era. Can anyone out there enlighten me?
Old 20-09-2004, 11:15 PM

Chris Byrne is on a distinguished road
Dress Shop in the IPI Building

At one time the dress shop in the IPI Building was owned by Rose Hughes. I can't remember if she bought it as a going concern, or whether she sold it to someone else....
Old 12-12-2004, 12:58 PM

Chris Byrne is on a distinguished road
Carols by Candlelight

As we approach Christmas I am reminded of the Christmas (around 1962 or 1963) when Arthur Strachan directed a choir that presented carols by candlelight.

The actual event took place on an oval just off Markham Road, some distance before the Cecil Hotel and on the same side of the road (it was not the ground where we played football - that was off to the other side of Markham Road). The choir practices took place at the Coronation Street Primary A school. I remember doing "We Three Kings" and "The Holly and the Ivy" in particular.
Old 18-06-2005, 03:09 PM

drgreg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppie
Doesn't look much different to now
i was thinking exactly the same thing...

i lived in lae 10 years ago and nothing seems to change - 1905, 1965, 1995, 2005 - all the same

anyone have any photos of the 3-mile agriculture offices. i used to work there. i loved the trees overhanging the road there.
Old 20-07-2005, 08:01 PM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgreg
i was thinking exactly the same thing...

i lived in lae 10 years ago and nothing seems to change - 1905, 1965, 1995, 2005 - all the same

anyone have any photos of the 3-mile agriculture offices. i used to work there. i loved the trees overhanging the road there.
Sorry, no photos of 3 mile as yet; I have people sending me old PNG photos all the time though, for my web site. Will let you know if any turn up.

Regards, Wendy
Old 21-07-2005, 12:40 AM

drgreg is on a distinguished road
thanks wendy. i have stacks of png photos in storage in australia... when i get back there next year i will dig them out and scan the good ones to post here. maybe i can find a few digital ones here somewhere in the meantime.

right now i am living in korea. a far cry from png...
Old 28-09-2005, 09:26 PM

Jellybean is on a distinguished road
Wendy
I was Lae born & bred, have loved looking at your pictures. Are you after old photos of Lae? What are you using them for? My parents moved to Lae in 1963 as newlyweds from Scotland and stayed until 1985. I know they have a lot of old photos, slides etc. Let me know if you're interested.
Gillian