Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 23-05-2004, 05:52 PM

lauwt is on a distinguished road
Another Swimming Pool

Hi All,

Another swimming pool that was generally available to all. Igam Barracks - completed some time in 1968.

Great memories of early morning swimming with my brothers and father - and the numerous toads that used to get into the pool - a long way from Lae proper to come for a swim but worth the drive.

San Lauw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pool0053.JPG (181.3 KB, 399 views)
Old 24-05-2004, 08:33 PM

Larian is on a distinguished road
Hi San, do you have a sister called siani Lauw I think the spelling is right who is a doctor??????
Old 24-05-2004, 09:43 PM

Swimming Pools

Hi Larian,

Yes she is my sister (Sian Lauw)

Regards

San
Old 12-06-2006, 11:01 PM

kerry is on a distinguished road
Hello San
hope I'm doing this right, have looked at most of your postings and you have blown my brain away with memories that I didn't even realise that I had. My surname was Burdell and I lived at Igam Barracks from 1968-1970. Have seen a lot of names that I had forgotten, Cl Harrington (used to pinch the frangipanis out front), Ottways (lived next door for a year), Sullivans (can remember Kerry's 11th birthday), Melling (Sharon was one of my best friends) Foyster (I think we clashed). there were a few more but my brain needs a rest after all these memories have slammed both in and out.
Hope you read my ramblings
regards
Kerry Burdell
Old 16-06-2006, 08:40 AM

Igam Barracks

Hi Kerry,

All those names ring a bell - do you keep in contact with any former Igam Barracks friends?

Regards

San
Old 17-06-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauwt
Hi Kerry,

All those names ring a bell - do you keep in contact with any former Igam Barracks friends?

Regards

San
Hi San,
I rarely heard from any barracks buddies once I went finish. I did follow the Cookes who went to Townsville and Cathy Cooke became a midwife (helped me deliver my third baby) but lost touch after that. They lived on the bend down near the creek. I am usually a bit of a recluse so have lost contact with everyone. Couldn't even remember anyone til I stumbled onto this site, which is why I rambled on a bit about memorys crashing in.Saw the photo of where you lived in the barracks and it seems very close to the first house that we lived in before we moved next to the Ottways in the cresent.I'm sorry can;t remember the street names or numbers. Another name just popped up, Mathews also Wilson (Mr Wilson may have been a medic.His son James became a jockey in Queensland some where. My computer is crashing but will try to keep an eye on this wonderful site.
Looking for future memory flashes
regards
Kerry
Old 18-06-2006, 10:04 AM

SPC is on a distinguished road
lae swimming pools

Hi Scott,
The pool at the end of the airstrip finally collapsed into the sea about late eighties.due to erosion of the shoreline.
Did you know the water in the pool was salty, most likely pumped up from the sea. Maybe Chris Byrne could verify this.
Regards Shane
Old 06-07-2006, 10:57 AM

Paula is on a distinguished road
Kerry Burdell

Hi Kerry

Sorry I hadn't got back to you previously. I don't recall the name or can't come up with a face. We arrived at Igam Barracks just before you left. We lived in the house next to the Lauws. All your names rang a bell with me. We lived across from the Sullivans and I remember kerry and Michael very well. I think I have a photo of Kerry somewhere. I remember it being a fun time living in the barracks, all the kids playing and hanging out in the streets. Especially being our early teenage years where you would get a crush on some boy and go to dances and parties.

It was a good life. Sheltered in some ways and a lot freer in others. Happy memories (when I remember them!)

Regards Paula (Frew)
Old 06-07-2006, 10:23 PM

Hi Paula,

It was lovely to hear from you and I'm pleased that I rang a few memory bells for you. I had totally forgotten that Kerry Sullivan had a brother named Michael til I read your post. I have a photo of myself and Kerry at the Lae Botanical Gardens and another one of myself and Sharon Melling (in ballet leotards!) outside our house in the crescent. I have a feeling that you moved into the first house that we lived in but cannot remember the number (or the street name for that matter). Always with a smile on my face do I remember the innocent freedom of the barracks and environs. With coy smile do I remember the boys. Had my first kiss in the barrack's pool. Remember the kiss but not the boy. He did come from Lae though and he would ride his push bike from town to the barracks just to see me on a Saturday. Enough already. Will post again soon.

Regards

Kerry
Old 18-08-2006, 02:27 PM

grobertson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Martin
When I was growing up in Lae I remember swimming in a couple of pools that were available to the public, for a small fee of course.

Firstly there was the little wading pool at the Botanical Gardens. In the mid 1960's I recall going to the pool at the back of the Lae Squash Courts on 9th Street. In the late 1960's I then recall that the Hotel Cecil pool was repaired and opened to the public. Lastly, the Bulae School opened their own pool in the early 1970's.

Of course there was also Voco Point, the Roundwater and the various rivers around Lae if you didn't want to pay.

Where are the public pools these days?
Hi Scott Martin,

Currently there is one public pool done at the Stadium which was used during the SP Games in the 90s. It is located at the beach front adjacent to where Cecil Hotel use to be. Also Lae Internationa Hotel and the Melanesian Hotel have pools which are opened to the public. Lae Inter charges K5.