Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 29-07-2004, 10:55 PM

Larian is on a distinguished road
i can remember around the same time jumping under the dragon at the end of it for fun, i was probably there for these photos..they do bring back memories
Old 08-10-2004, 03:27 PM

deirdre inkster is on a distinguished road
scott, my name is Deirdre Inkster(Whitton)_, yes this was our store, and just how i remember it to......my email add is dinkster@mncahs.health.nsw.gov.au. I have been talking to wendy clarke(Phillips)......about old Lae.......
Old 13-10-2004, 09:05 PM

Chris Byrne is on a distinguished road
What street is this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Martin
Crowds following the Dragon, Lae 1968.

Can anyone tell me which street this is?
The building on the right-hand side of the photo appears to be a trade store with residence above. But what is that thing sticking out of the roof - not the slim vent, the other thing?

Another item that may give us a lead is the vertical sign in the distance, to the right of the right-hand building. What is that?

Finally, the road appears not to be sealed ...

I want to say it's near Tommy Seeto's (corner of Air Corps Road and Mangola Street and opposite the (relocated) market), but I'm not convinced...
Old 13-10-2004, 09:22 PM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Byrne
The building on the right-hand side of the photo appears to be a trade store with residence above...
With the help of the 1966 PNG phone book and the series of postcard photos I got from my dad, I managed to piece this one together a while ago, Chris. It's Sixth Street - the large white building is the New Guinea Company, and the blue one is the back end of the Commonwealth Bank with the manager's residence on top.

Cheers, Wendy
Old 16-09-2005, 01:00 AM

WKMS is on a distinguished road
re Tom Seeto Kin Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade_runner
This is down at China Town ....although I wasn't even born in 1968 , I can still remember that Tom Seeto Kin store. China Town is no more as most Chinese have either migrated to Aussie [that's the trend these days] or gone back to prosperous Hong Kong.
I am so glad that I stumbled into this site, when I was searching for a map of Lae to do a slide show presentation for my father - Tommy Seeto Kin who will be turning 80 on the 1st of October. My father sold the shop to C0LLINS & LEAHY around about early 1973 and the place burnt down soon after.

The dragon dance and New Year Parties in 1973 and 1974 were held at our plantation Yalu. Nearly the whole of Lae use to attend. At a later date I will scan the photos and newspaper clippings from the Post Courier to this site.
My father had 2 plantations one at 6 Mile and the one at Yalu which was a larger one. There were seven children in the family and most of us attended Coronation Drive Primary except for the younger two boys who went to BuLae.
My name is Wendy (known as Kim May Seeto then as this was my chinese name) and my other siblings are : Sally, ****, Christine, Diane, Ron and Tony.
We all now reside in Brisbane, except for Sally and Christine who are in Sydney. Dads big birthday bash will have a lot of ex PNG attending around about the 250 mark. Will update some photos at a later date. My last year at Coronation Drive was grade 6, 1963. Thanks for the photos as they will come in handy for the show.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:10 AM

Pacodog is on a distinguished road
Scott,

Not sure if you are visiting this site anymore. i lived in Lae from 69-71. I remeber the fireworks dragon in front of the shops. I attended Lae Primary very briefly in 1969 and then it was on to St peters in Brisbane. Do you remebre Ronnie Seeto, he also went to St Peters.

Last edited by Pacodog; 10-09-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:13 AM

Pacodog is on a distinguished road
Scott,

Not sure if you are visiting this site anymore. I lived in Lae from 69-71. I remember the fireworks dragon in front of the shops. I attended Lae Primary very briefly in 1969 and then it was on to St Peters in Brisbane. Do you remember Ronnie Seeto, he was in my class and also went to St Peters.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:02 PM

Hi Scott, I have a brother Ron, not the same Ron that went to school with you. The Ronnie Seeto that went to school and St Peters with you has passed away. He was involved in bad car accident on the road going up to the Highlands. This happened at least 15years ago. He has older brothers, Jimmy, and I cant remember the other two boys plus a sister called Louella, she went to St Peters as well. Louella died of cancer about 2yrs ago. Hope this is of help. The other two boys reside in Brisbane.
cheers Wendy
Old 11-09-2010, 06:07 PM

re Ronnie Seeto

Hi Scott, re your enquiry about Ronnie Seeto. I have a brother by that name as well. The Ronnie you went to school with has passed away.
He was involved in a bad car accident on the road up to the Highlands.
This happened about 15years ago. He had a younger sister who you might have known called Louella .. she attended St Peters as well. Louella passed away about 2years ago from cancer. Ronnie had older brothers, Jimmy and 2 others and I cant remember their names. The rest of the family reside in Brisbane.
cheers Wendy
Old 05-02-2013, 11:01 AM

talepeddlerjo is on a distinguished road
Hello, I know you posted this years ago Scott but can't resist thanking you for the memories the shots bought back for me. I was in Lae with my family from 68 to 75 and I do remember the dragons even though I was very young at the time. I would always cry at the noise and the crackers and the dancing dragon terrified me. Mmm... still don't like fireworks very much but it was a tremendous spectacle and my parents must have loved it because we would have been right up the front all the time. Great memories.