Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 21-07-2003, 05:57 PM

Scott Martin is on a distinguished road
New Year in Lae

Hello again Wendy,

Sorry to disappoint you but I believe the photo you refer to is shown correctly. If I am not sure of a photo's alignment I zoom in and look for any words, letters or numbers (street signs, shop names, vehicle names or registrations). In this case the word "Toyota" is shown on the utility in the centre of the photo.

As for picking up things with your toes, I didn't realise that this is a PNG thing. I admit that I still do it, often, but am a mere amateur compared to my brother Craig. He can pick up anything with his toes..........

Regards,

Scott

Last edited by Scott Martin; 21-07-2003 at 10:55 PM.
Old 21-07-2003, 09:15 PM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
You are right, of course, Scott about your photo being the right way around. I was speaking from my perspective. I worked at the Commonwealth Bank from April '66 to '67 and walked down 4th Street and along Coronation Drive. Therefore, the bank was first, on the left-hand side of the road, and Anderson's next door, and I couldn't orient myself to the photo until I flipped it. To answer your original question, it IS 6th Street, as I remember. Yuk Chee Wong and the ANZ bank were in 7th Street. Thanks also, for the information about the rugby league teams. I've passed it onto Bob.

Regards, Wendy
Old 29-10-2003, 11:10 PM

webby is on a distinguished road
I knew a Craig in Lae in the late 60's I can't recall his surname, but did he live close to the "roundwater"? I also think he transfered from Bulae to Coronation School- but I could be wrong

Webby
Old 30-10-2003, 11:29 AM

Craigm is on a distinguished road
Webby,

I think I may be the "Craig" you mention. The surname is Martin and we lived right at the end of Cassia Crec (Roundwater end). If you are who I think then you lived down near the Scout Hall Oval, near where Cassia Crec "turns" and heads off towards where Danny Bennett lived (and a Carmen Stebanecky - spellings probably wrong - they had a huge Guava tree that was constantly raided). I saw another post of yours mentioning a heap of others that I (we) classed with (Ian walker - pommy guy, etc). I also did move from Coro' to Bulae half way through grade 5 and was good mates with the guys you mentioned. Steve Docker and I ended up going through Boarding school together in Brisbane and remained good mates throughout though havnt now seem him in years. Remember also Allan Hall and Dennis Lee-Sye. If you're the Chris I think then we first met in not so friendly circumstance but, subsequently, where good mates for a brief while before you went finish.
Old 22-03-2004, 02:18 AM

Chris Byrne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Martin
Who remembers New Year in Lae when the dancing dragon would visit each tradestore and weave his magic to the thundering roar of enormous strings of fireworks, and the beating of drums from the support vehicles.

The courage the young men of that time displayed when dancing under the fireworks still sticks in my memory.

Does this still happen each year?
Fireworks were also very popular on Guy Fawkes Day. One of my school chums, Peter Conboy (from St Mary's Primary School), lost an eye to a rocket on Guy Fawkes night one year... Must have been 1963 or so.
Old 24-03-2004, 08:14 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Dennis Lee Sye - now that name rings a bell. I used to work for Watkins Overseas the builders and unless there is another guy with the same name, HE WAS MY BOSS!
www.kokodatrail.com.pg
www.quadrahosting.com.au
Old 24-03-2004, 09:56 AM

Chris Byrne is on a distinguished road
Peter Conboy

If he had a glass eye, that was him!
Old 25-03-2004, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie
Dennis Lee Sye - now that name rings a bell. I used to work for Watkins Overseas the builders and unless there is another guy with the same name, HE WAS MY BOSS!
Thats Interesting. The Dennis I knew would now be early 40's. If "Boss" Dennis is older then it may have been his Father you worked for.
Old 25-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Dennis Lee Sye

gee this tells my own age! haha

I worked for Watkins in or around 1974 and Dennis at that stage would have been in his late thirties so yes could well be his father.

Ask the Dennis you know if his father was ever in Lae, PNG? If its the same Dennis he was one hell of an operator and in charge of hundreds of workers. At that time Bougainville Copper was in full swing and if we werent not quoting on University of Technology work, it was buildings elsewhere.

From memory in Bougainville alone there was around 700 employees. On our website you will see postings from Pauline Robertson. Pauline is the daughter of another employee Dave Robertson who left Watkins years later to start his own business 'Niugini Builders' with another employee, Dave Thompson.

The last I heard was that Dennis was transferred to Brisbane. Does the guy you know have olive skin? and what does he do for a living?
www.kokodatrail.com.pg
www.quadrahosting.com.au
Old 26-03-2004, 10:02 AM

Aussie,

I reckon we have the same family but a generation apart.
The Dennis I was mates with must be your old Boss's son as, In 1974, Dennis (Jnr) and I would have been 14. I went to school with Dennis in Lae (Bulae) untill finish of grade 6 (end 1971) when most of us dispersed to various boarding schools in Aussie . I lost contact with Dennis (Jnr) in about the mid 70's. Lee Sye (Snr) also owned or managed a coffee plantation in Kainantu which I was privilaged to visit as a guest of Dennis's family once. Long drive from Lae but an excellent adventure for 11 yo's - did you know the coffee bean is the natural projectile for the shangai -its true.