Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 09-10-2006, 04:24 PM

DesmondTimothy is on a distinguished road
Stop mouthing off, folks. Someone only wanted to know of Utula's whereabouts, n thats about all. CAn we stick to the basics? There are better issues and causes to argue about than to trample and thrash others. One might just question; am I any better?
Old 23-11-2006, 10:41 PM

"xtc" is on a distinguished road
hi desmond timothy,
Obviously the name evokes very strong emotions mostly negative but a few could be positive. There was even some gossip about his behaviour on small foreign aid among the diplomatic corps at UN. Anyway for those who would like to locate him, he would be best found around the corridors of the Waigani Parliment house. Perhaps it is also high time he returned the farm land at 6 mile outside Lae back to the government and people of Morobe.
He did have very radical political views in fact. So much so that he contributed to the dismantling of a proven local government council system (with hundreds of years of experience else where in the world) in Morobe Province and replaced this with an impotent unproven and usless community government system which pushed the province's development back by a hundred years. Only now are people begining to see sense and are now reverting to the old local government system of government.

Last edited by "xtc"; 23-11-2006 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:51 PM

islandboy13 is on a distinguished road
Utula Died

I heard Utula died a few years ago??? He was a nationalist - a background we had growing up under Colonial Rule!!. Peoples attitudes and beliefs are shaped by their environment and Utula was one...a great Morobean...I kmow him well
I am a Morobean of his time.

JT
Old 02-01-2014, 03:56 PM

roderick is on a distinguished road
Samana - A Great Moroabean - You must be kidding !!!

When the history of PNG is written, the name Utula Samana will probably evoke a dishonourable mention. The guy was a corrupt, racist prick. In an earlier post, I was very coy about using his words for dealing with expats. In fact, he said that morobeans should be free to rob and steal from expats and rape their wives. How a guy like him, who uttered these venomous words could be appointed to the UN is absolutely beyond belief - but he indeed was. It just shows was a hypocrit he was and what an ineffective body the UN really is.

In regard to his experiences under colonialist rule, Australia was essentially a benevolent colonialist power that ceded independence to PNG on very generous terms. If you want to see how a colonialist power exploits a land and its native people, then just look across your land border with Indonesia and view what has happened to West Papuans in their own land. They have been almost completely disposessed from their traditional lands. And what did Utula have to say about the colonial experience in West Papua - wdell not much. The guy was an absolute prick.

If anyone knows where Utula was interned, please post his burial site here. As a final salute to him, I would like to go there and piss on his grave !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboy13 View Post
I heard Utula died a few years ago??? He was a nationalist - a background we had growing up under Colonial Rule!!. Peoples attitudes and beliefs are shaped by their environment and Utula was one...a great Morobean...I kmow him well

I am a Morobean of his time.

JT
Old 03-01-2014, 05:43 AM

islandboy13 is on a distinguished road
I wasn't in Morobe during the 1980s-1990s so I am not in a position to defend Utula but the point I was making was that the scars of Colonial rule has shaped and influenced what Utula Samana was. Our new PNG and Australian generations will not understand because they have not lived the experienced that we and our fore fathers have endured under Colonial Rule. One such rule was native men would be hanged if they are found to have sexual relations with a white women (not necessarily by force). Marriage to a white women was a crime! Speaking your mother tongue in class was prohibited; dam! you get canned 10 times for uttering a single world of your tokples. Sir Maori Kiki (first former Deputy Prime Minister [1975] showed me a scar on his left chest, caused by a splashed of hot tea on him because an Australian colonialist was infuriated with Maori for not making his tea sweet enough. He was never been punished! How could he? He and his group were considered superior in color, in intelligence, in language and everything that looks pale ....and I have hundreds of examples...Does this make Australian's exempted from such cruelty? No!! Indonesians have their own form of cruelty with West Papuans. Chinese have their own cruelty with Tibetians. Be your own judges. But the point I am making is that Utula Samana was shaped by these injustices done to him and his people. His political discourse was based on his lived experiences in the Colonial era. Nelson Mandela did the opposite. He forgave. Secondly, Utula is dead, and dead people can't defend themselves. Pissing on his grave would be condoning racism, colonialism and the ugly past which helped shaped our contemporary world. Look at PNG today, what did you see?

Jonah Tisam
Tru, tru Morobean.