Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > The Journey to Paradise

The Journey to Paradise Photos of great cultural and natural beauties of Papua New Guinea

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
After about three hours of walking we ended up at Ower's Corner where we stopped to eat our lunch, and took some photographs for our album and to share with you our visitors now here on our website. Three of the boys sat down and played their ukulele and kept us entertained as was to be the start of many more to come!

Our group sitting down at Ower's Corner enjoying our lunch. Our guides remarked...eat up everyone as we now know the life of a food porter, we need to empty our packs. Paulo who normally acts as a food porter starting laughing and told the guides that now they know how he feels EVERY TREK:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Group having lunch ower's corner.jpg (179.1 KB, 188 views)
www.kokodatrail.com.pg
www.quadrahosting.com.au
Old 05-12-2004, 08:14 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

We all got up and loaded once again with our backpacks, we decided to pose for a photograph before heading down the hill from the archway at Ower's Corner:

Our group as we headed out on the Kokoda Trail, Saturday, 13th November, 2004:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Group Ower's Corner.jpg (47.4 KB, 164 views)
www.kokodatrail.com.pg
www.quadrahosting.com.au
Old 05-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

The picture below does not emphasise the steepness of the climb down from Ower's Corner but we managed ok and were soon heading through the bush for our next destination being Goldie River:

Bev Howell & her porter Chris heading down the steep embankment from the hill at Ower's Corner:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chris & Bev.jpg (181.1 KB, 178 views)
www.kokodatrail.com.pg
www.quadrahosting.com.au
Old 05-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

We soon came to Goldie River where we saw the majority of the guides (now food porters) already on the other side stripping off about to go swimming.....but I still had to cross over the river. Russell told me to take my shoes off and put on my sandles as the stones are quite sharp. So being a very good student, I took off my shoes and changed into my sandles for my first experience of wading across the Goldie River.

Russell was also showing me where the water came up to during his July trek with the Australian High Commission....and I mean it was high....how they got across is anyone's guess but I know at the time him and the boys done us proud as they not only crossed over the flooded rivers but also managed to get everyone back into Port Moresby on schedule for the next days flights back home to my amazement at the time.

Myself, Gail Thomas and Russell Eroro (camera in mouth) crossing over the Goldie River on the 13th November, 2004:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gail & Russell crossing Goldie.jpg (86.1 KB, 168 views)
www.kokodatrail.com.pg
www.quadrahosting.com.au
Old 05-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

On reaching the other side, Bev was all smiles as we both discussed our very first river crossing....little did we know how many more there was to come!

Photograph: Bev Howell relaxes on a large rock following her first Goldie River crossing before commencing to climb, up, up & up! On the left in this picture is Syprian Haera one of our Kokoda Trekking Guides.

Just to let you know the fitness of these guys, last year I entered five guys in Lady Carol Kidu's & PriceWaterhouseCoopers Walk for Life in a 5km run around the streets of Port Moresby. Syprian who had never run before came home in 10th position overall and the first of our group home in 17 minutes and beat most of the road runners who regularly pound our streets. Our five guys also took out the team event in record time. Four came home in under 18 minutes and only one in 22nd place overall in 22 minutes. All four boys asked....WHAT KEPT YOU!

At the time one of the legal firms in Port Moresby came rushing up to the organiser and remarked they had won the team event to which was replied....sorry the Kokoda boys have been sitting under their tent for the past five minutes. They all returned home that day with happy smiling faces knowing their fitness on the Kokoda Trail plus working in their village vanilla gardens and oil palms got them home without any prior training:

To continue reading this article, please scroll to the bottom left hand corner and click on Page 2:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bev & Syprian.jpg (98.8 KB, 165 views)
www.kokodatrail.com.pg
www.quadrahosting.com.au
Old 05-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Oops, the guys are not quite ready to trek...we turned around and saw our guides (now food porters climbing out of the water to get dressed....I quickly reached for my camera).

Take a look at these guys, not an ounce of fat on them just muscle! You should see how they walk up and down the mountains on the trail, they make it look easy and yet they carry big loads and never complain.

Chris Suma, Eric Uwea, Syprian Haera & Kingsley Boropi:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boys.jpg (59.5 KB, 159 views)
www.kokodatrail.com.pg
www.quadrahosting.com.au
Old 05-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

One of our food porters Aiwa from Veselugo takes time out for a rest on a log at Uberi Creek.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aiwa.jpg (98.9 KB, 141 views)
www.kokodatrail.com.pg
www.quadrahosting.com.au
Old 05-12-2004, 08:27 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

On one of the hills leading up to Uberi Creek Russell who had not been out on the trail since July, started vomiting. Eric Uwea ran ahead and it was decided instead of Va'ule Creek we would set up camp at Uberi instead to give Russell time to get his strength back.....yes, I guess my pack must have been heavy. I weighed it at one time during the packing process and it weighed 18 kg but then Russ added the tent and a couple of other items so it could have gone over 20kg.

Our first campsite Uberi Creek:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Campsite.jpg (171.0 KB, 162 views)
www.kokodatrail.com.pg
www.quadrahosting.com.au
Old 05-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Eric Uwea takes a break before heading off on the trail. Check out his medical bag....its his baby and he insisted on carrying it all the way along the trail. Eric is another really fit guide and he is our tip to win the Kokoda 24 hour race in August. He is tall, long legged and is really very fast so definitely stands a good chance of winning the race.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eric.jpg (185.3 KB, 141 views)
www.kokodatrail.com.pg
www.quadrahosting.com.au
Old 05-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Day 2 - Uberi Creek to Va'Ule Creek:

Bev and Chris take the lead and head off up the hill. Bev always felt she did better first thing in the morning and was always up and away first before any of us could keep up with her. Chris as her personal porter was only seconds behind her and made sure she was safe throughout her 9 days trek.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chris & Bev walking uphill.jpg (176.1 KB, 142 views)
www.kokodatrail.com.pg
www.quadrahosting.com.au
Closed Thread