Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 12-12-2002, 06:17 PM

Scott Martin is on a distinguished road
Moresby story: Whilst watching the James Bond film "Dr No" at the Skyline Drive-In during 1977 the screen suddenly went blank about 2/3rds of the way through the film. A nervous voice then came over the speakers and advised that the theatre did not have the final reel, there was no more film, go home. And we did just that, went home, no refund, no rescreening at a later date, nothing........

Last edited by Scott Martin; 12-12-2002 at 06:22 PM.
Old 30-01-2006, 01:30 PM

Wendy Seymour is on a distinguished road
Hi guys,

Just trying to catch up with the latest. If there ever was a Saturday Matinee Queen well that was me. Yep I have fond memories of mum or dad dropping my siblings, cousins and whomever off at the good ole Lae Theatre. I used to love watching the Three Stooges, Looney Tune cartoons. I love my 007 movies especially the Sean Connery ones (my father was a huge 007 fan and an Ian Fleming reader. BTW 007 is based on the life of Ian Fleming the author who was an Intelligence Officer in the British navy. I also loved those kung fu movies too - I am a big Bruce Lee fan too and remember the mixed race boys in China town used to walk around with their numb chucks or whatever they called it.

Yep those were the good ole days in another life and another time.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:27 PM

ILU is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Great Story....LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME WITHOUT THESE MOVIE THEATERS..

Last edited by ILU; 04-02-2006 at 04:30 PM. Reason: SP
Old 16-03-2006, 07:31 PM

"xtc" is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Seymour
Hi guys,

Just trying to catch up with the latest. If there ever was a Saturday Matinee Queen well that was me. Yep I have fond memories of mum or dad dropping my siblings, cousins and whomever off at the good ole Lae Theatre. I used to love watching the Three Stooges, Looney Tune cartoons. I love my 007 movies especially the Sean Connery ones (my father was a huge 007 fan and an Ian Fleming reader. BTW 007 is based on the life of Ian Fleming the author who was an Intelligence Officer in the British navy. I also loved those kung fu movies too - I am a big Bruce Lee fan too and remember the mixed race boys in China town used to walk around with their numb chucks or whatever they called it.

Yep those were the good ole days in another life and another time.

How true, I watched every single of Sean Connery's James Bond movies at the Huon. Because of them I took up a scientific career (you know to make James Bond type gadgets). I still hum "pussycat pussycat meow wow wow" song every now and then, even though I've forgotton who sang this sound track. At that time I had great difficulty in appreciating why my sisters dragged me in to watch "Paint your Wagons" at the Huon. I gues the 60s was the last era of great musicals except for "Grease".
Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 AM

talepeddlerjo is on a distinguished road
Really enjoyed browsing this post as for many years I thought I had dreamt my trips to the Lae cinema with my parents. I remember being terrified by the lion that roared and a Hammer Horror type movie on Count Dracula and I seem to recall boxes of malteasers. Only very faint memories here but it is good to know I didn't dream the cinemas we attended and they really existed.
Old 27-11-2016, 02:55 PM

Chris Byrne is on a distinguished road
Lae Airport in its heyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post
The Stewart went first, followed by Lae Theatre in 1990 (to make way for the Vele Rumana), and finally the Huon was burned down in 1995.

Many of us, who grew up in Lae with these theatres, shed a quite tear, as it was the end of an era.

I recently stumbled upon a well – visited website, Rob’s PNG Links Dreambook, in which former PNG residents reminisce about their happy childhood days here.

I posted a note on this website, asking for contributions from former Lae residents about Lae in the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s.

Jim Dudgeon, once a projectionist at the Huon Theatre, emerged from the mists of time with some amazing anecdotes about this institution.

“I was attending the Lae High School at the time,” he said.

“ This was my very first job and I did it for the first year for free, as I liked it so much.

“My father was Bob Dudgeon.

“He was the Forman Mechanic with Government Transport in Lae.

“ I arrived in Lae as a baby in 1950, attended the Lae Primary A School, and Lae High School.

Lae Airport in its heyday !
Looks like the photo was taken after Markham Road was re-routed to place the old cemetery inside the airport boundary. My father is buried there.
Old 18-02-2017, 08:27 AM

Mike Lyle is on a distinguished road
I hope somebody's still reading. I was reminded today that my late uncle "Ted" Lyle told of how when Errol Flynn worked in New Guinea he had a set of false teeth made by the dentist in Lae, and then went overseas to fame and fortune, "forgetting" a certain formality, and never returned. The dentist later had a slide made for display during the ad break at the one of the local flick-houses, describing the celebrated patient's treatment, with the comment "...which he never paid for." Perhaps somebody here knows more about this.