Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 14-08-2005, 08:15 PM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimbaLuna
Wendy, I would love a copy. My e-mail address is kimbaluna@optusnet.com.au thanks heaps, heidi :0)
On its way, Heidi.
Old 18-09-2005, 12:33 AM

Aiyura57 is on a distinguished road
Lae map

Hello Wendy, I would love a clearer copy of the Lae map please. Lived there from 78 to 86 working with Morobe Airways and Talair as a pilot. Grew up in the Highlands from 1957 and always enjoyed the rare trips driving down the Kassam Pass and the Markham valley to Lae which back in those days was a 1 to 2 day trip each way. Used to fly down in the later years to catch our planes South to attend boarding school and knew people such as Mark Emery and the De La Cruzs and the Crowley boys. Their dad used to fly up to our friend's coffee plantation (Arau) frequently and it was always a mad scramble to pull down the badminton net when the chopper was heard so he could land. It is great to see the Lae of old in your photos, good job. Regards Charlie van Horck (Cairns)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyemc
some of the detail isn't as clear as on my map now that it's been downsized. If anyone wants a clearer copy, I'd be happy to email it to you.

Cheers, Wendy.
Old 18-09-2005, 12:39 AM

Aiyura57 is on a distinguished road
Lae map

Oops, an email address would help scaussies@westnet.com.au Thanks Wendy,
cheers Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyemc
some of the detail isn't as clear as on my map now that it's been downsized. If anyone wants a clearer copy, I'd be happy to email it to you.

Cheers, Wendy.
Old 18-09-2005, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyura57
Hello Wendy, I would love a clearer copy of the Lae map please. Lived there from 78 to 86 working with Morobe Airways and Talair as a pilot. Grew up in the Highlands from 1957 and always enjoyed the rare trips driving down the Kassam Pass and the Markham valley to Lae which back in those days was a 1 to 2 day trip each way. Used to fly down in the later years to catch our planes South to attend boarding school and knew people such as Mark Emery and the De La Cruzs and the Crowley boys. Their dad used to fly up to our friend's coffee plantation (Arau) frequently and it was always a mad scramble to pull down the badminton net when the chopper was heard so he could land. It is great to see the Lae of old in your photos, good job. Regards Charlie van Horck (Cairns)
Hi Charlie,

Nice to hear from you; whereabouts in the highlands did you live? My husband was with the Commonwealth Bank in Hagen from 1965-67 after a year in Lae. He arrived in Hagen on census day and made the 500th non-indigenous person in the whole of the Western Highlands! Its thanks to him we have so many lovely colour photos of PNG in our family; most of my mum and dads photos and negatives were lost by a photographer in Lae in the mid-60s when they put them in for copies. I dated Mark Emery's brother, Michael, over the '64 school holidays when I was fifteen; I guess you could say he was my first true love, though I didn't have the nerve to tell him so. when we weren't together we spent so much time on the phone that my Dad, who worked for Post and Telephraphs, had to get the woman in the exchange to cut in on the line when he wanted to ring home :-).

Speaking of the Delacruzes, Carmel Haythorne, who was a cousin of Ricky, Raymond, Patrick and Edward signed my guest book recently, so I am now in touch with her.

Cheers, Wendy

PS. The photo is on its way.
Old 21-09-2005, 03:34 AM

Brett Inkster is on a distinguished road
post has been removed due to privacy reasons.

Last edited by Brett Inkster; 25-11-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: privacy reasions.
Old 21-09-2005, 03:36 AM

Brett Inkster is on a distinguished road
post has been removed due to privacy reasons.

Last edited by Brett Inkster; 25-11-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: post has been removed due to provacy reasons.
Old 22-09-2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Inkster
Dear Wendy Philips,

Hi my name is Brett Inkster and I am the son of Deirdre Inkster (formally known as Whitton). My grandfather is Eric Whitton and his partner in PNG was Barbara Guthridge. The purpose of this email is to let you know that mum if offline for a while until a new e-mail address is set up. If you have been trying her last one at MNCAH etc she and dad (Robert 'Bob' Inkster) have packed up and wnet north to sunny QLD.

I am more than happy to forward any information to her if any persons wish to make contact.

FYI.

Brett Inkster
Hi Brett,

I've heard a lot about you from your Mum - all good, I might add :-)
I have been in touch with her since her move; got her new phone number from the white pages on-line and gave her a ring a couple of weeks ago. Hope to catch up with her in person one of these days now that she's almost "next door", so to speak. Right now, though I have my daughter's wedding on 1st October to prepare for - a country wedding with a bush dance to follow so we are doing much of the work ourselves.

Cheers, Wendy
Old 25-09-2005, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davos
Hi Wendy, I too would love a copy of the map, I lived in Oak, Walnut and finally Finch street from late 60's till 73, from my shaded memory we entered cassowary street from the other end (Huon Road) where I used to walk home from Bulae.
my email is masco@smartchat.net.au

Thank you
Dave
No worries, Dave. It's on its way.

Cheers,
Old 28-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Kelli Seeto is on a distinguished road
Talking Growing up in Lae

This is all too bizarre.....Through pure coincidence, I have met a few people through work the last 18 months who either lived & worked in PNG, or parents did. Which brings back my very fond (yet short) memories of growing up in Lae during the 70's (born 73) - left 1981.

From memory, we lived on 3rd Street and my grandparents owned the Red Rose Restaurant back then. Anyone remember the Lae Biscuit Factory or the Melanesian Soap Factory? Lae International Primary School ? Mrs McIntyre who taught me at school & ballet ?
Old 29-09-2005, 07:26 PM

KimbaLuna is on a distinguished road
Hi Kelli

Hi Kelli, are you related to the Chang's as well. I was a very good friend of Trudy Chang (we have drifted since she got married and had children). Her parents owned the Red Rose restaurant when I was a kid growing up. I was born in '67 so you are a little younger than me. I too left Lae in 1981.

My dad used to work at the Lae Biscuit factory as it was owned by Moreby bakery and my dad was a pastry chef at first and then manager for 16 years before buying Lae Photography in 4th street.

I also remember Lae International Primary School. It was called Coronation Street Primary School and then they changed it to Lae International.

I had Mrs McIntyre as well! Ahhh what great memories ... thanks :0) Heidi