Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 13-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
Paradise 5:
Paradise 5 is the fifth release of Big Finish’s Lost Stories range featuring the Sixth Doctor and Peri.
Released in May 2010.
Written by Sapphire & Steel creator PJ Hammond and Andy Lane and come back to this later on.
Included in the guest cast is James D’Arcy (who was in Big Finish’s version of Phantom of the Opera & had played Billie Piper’s boyfriend in Secret Diary of a Call Girl season 3.
The Doctor and Peri visits the title space station Paradise 5 to find a friend of the Doctor’s who has gone missing. It is a shocking discovery of what became of this friend.
The mystery has been well played out especially with Nicola Bryant on her own as Peri for much of this story without the Doctor. Nicola truly shines in this story.
One thing that I can say about the villain duo of Gabriel and Michael (D’Arcy) is that they remind me of another villain duo Wint and Kidd from the James Bond film Diamonds Are Forever.

There are interesting things that I found out about Paradise 5 in the interviews on this release. Paradise 5 was not part of the original season 23 that the first season of The Lost Stories had been focusing on. It was instead originally intended for the actual season 23 The Trial of A Time Lord but was ultimately replaced by Terror of the Vervoids in its Trial slot. Paradise 5 only became part of the Lost Stories due to the suggestion made by former Big Finish producer Gary Russell, who these days is working for the BBC Wales production of Doctor Who and its spin-offs.
Due to his busy schedule Hammond could not make the audio adaptation himself and Andy Lane stepped in. Although the CD cover says “By PJ Hammond and Andy Lane” it was not a collaboration between the two. As Andy Lane explains, Part 1 was Hammond’s, Parts 2 and 4 was Lane’s with the latter in the story’s original version had scenes from the Trial which could not be used for the Big Finish version and Part 3 was written by Lane based on notes from Hammond.
While Paradise 5 did not make it to TV, Hammond did get to write for the telly Whoniverse with two episodes of Torchwood, Small Worlds & From Out of the Rain. In regards to Hammond’s work, Big Finish producer David Richardson mentions Torchwood and it is the first time that I have heard Torchwood mentioned on a Big Finish release.
As Paradise 5 was replaced by Terror of the Vervoids for the Trial season, it therefore originally had Mel, not Peri as the companion. One can only wonder whether Bonnie Langford as Mel would have done as well as Nicola Bryant had she been in this story.
Old 17-02-2011, 09:08 AM

Remembrance of the Daleks:
The info text on Part 4 says that one of the recording days was on Easter Monday 1988, the 60th anniversary of the Easter Rebellion in Dublin according to Sylvester McCoy wrote the notes writer.

A historical fact is a historical fact but it would seem that the notes writer did not do any research on the Easter Rebellion himself and thought that citing Sylvester McCoy as the source of this information was good enough.
If the notes writer had researched the Easter Rebellion himself he would therefore had found out that it had taken place in 1916 which meant that it would not have been the 60th anniversary of this event in 1988 but the 72nd.
An incorrect information that has been presented twice upon the story’s Special Edition release and no one bothered to read the notes beforehand in order to correct this error.

From DoctorWhoNews.net:
TP McKenna has passed away.

Thomas Patrick McKenna was born on September 7 1929 and had appeared in Doctor Who in The Greatest Show which had ended the 25th anniversary season and the second season of Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor. In The Greatest Show In The Galaxy playing the intergalactic explorer Captain Cook.

Roles outside of Doctor Who included the Blake’s 7 episode Bounty playing a deposed President Sarkoff.

His other TV work included episodes of Danger Man, Adam Adamant Lives, Man In A Suitcase, The Saint, The Avengers, Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased), Jason King & Callan.
His film roles included Silver Dream Racer which also featured a very brief appearance by Lis Sladen.

He died on February 13 2011 at the age of 81.

Last edited by Matt See; 17-02-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 19-02-2011, 12:24 PM

The War Games:
At the end of the commentary on Part 3, producer Derrick Sherwin said that the “new” Doctor Who has shown Daleks gliding up stairs reacting like such a feat was shown for the first time ever with the modern age of Doctor Who.
Sherwin obviously hasn’t seen the season 25 (1988) opener Remembrance of the Daleks because if he had he would have known that a Dalek could be clearly be seen gliding up stairs for the first time with that story in 1988 not with the “new” series in 2005.

Remembrance of the Daleks:
The special feature on The Special Edition includes Back To The School a feature which had some of the cast and crew remembering their time making the story.
Before I go on, there was an error with the subtitles. During this programme, Moray Laing, editor of Doctor Who Adventures talked about Stuart Brisdon who had done the special effects for Remembrance.
Laing had mentioned previous Doctor Who stories that he had worked on including Mawdryn Undead but subtitle correlated it as Modern Men Undead.
Instead of interpreting the name as Modern Men Undead, the subtitle writer, who clearly did not know the word Mawdryn, should have looked up the list of Doctor Who episodes to find out precisely the name of that Doctor Who story. The subtitle writer should not had trouble finding the name Mawdryn Undead since this is the only story that has Undead in the title.
Back to School, I felt did not present a complete story about the making of Remembrance of the Daleks.
For starters there was the absence of Pamela Salem and Jasmine Breaks. From what was shown here, the interviewees makes no mention of them at all. In regards Jasmine Breaks as The Girl, I would have thought she have gotten a consideration mention since the girl had a significant role in the plot of the story.
Other things that Back To School had overlooked was Davros’ brief appearance, the Quatermass reference and John Leeson’s role as the Dalek Battle Computer.
It is hard to believe that Sylvester McCoy had absolutely nothing to say about his one and only scene with Terry Molloy as Davros and the Doctor’s deleted line to Davros about being more than just a Time Lord.
With the Quatermass reference, I would have thought that either writer Ben Aaronovitch or script editor Andrew Cartmel would have said something about wanting to establish that Doctor Who and Quatermass were in the same universe.
With John Leeson, I would have thought comment would have been made about his return to Doctor Who as something other than K9. Like Pamela Salem and Jasmine Breaks, John Leeson is not among the interviewees for Back To School and was he even invited to appear in it.
Old 19-02-2011, 12:52 PM

Remembrance of the Daleks prelude:
Fan made prelude to the season 25 opener Remembrance of the Daleks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-2DW...eature=related

Not bad.
Old 20-02-2011, 11:27 AM

From DoctorWhoNews.net:
Season 36:
David Walliams will be appearing in the episode by Toby Whithouse.

Latest casting news:
In the episode directed by Peter Hoar, Frances Barber has been cast as a character named Kovarian, Christina Chong as Lorna Bucket and Joshua Hayes in his first television role as Lucas.

Geoffrey Burton has been cast as Nasa Man for the two part season opener written by showrunner Steven Moffat and directed by Toby Haynes.

Michael Begley has been cast as Mulligan in episode 3 written by Steve Thompson and directed by Jeremy Webb.

Mark Jermin Management listed two child actors appearing in this series Edmund Moulton appears as Adam in the Matthew Graham story and Oscar Lloyd, whose character is yet to be revealed, has been cast in an unspecified episode.
Old 23-02-2011, 11:49 AM

Specially filmed scene for the recent National Television Awards in which the Doctor takes presenter Dermot O'Leary to the NTAs on time after O'Leary overslept:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI4-iyF3cnQ

Amusing.
Old 23-02-2011, 05:09 PM

From DoctorWhoNews.net:
Nicholas Courtney best known for playing Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart has passed away.

Born William Nicholas Stone Courtney on December 16 1929, Nicholas Courtney made his first appearance in Doctor Who, playing Bret Vyon in the William Hartnell serial The Daleks Master Plan.

Courtney then appeared in the Patrick Troughton serial The Web of Fear playing Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart. It was not until a later Troughton serial The Invasion that the chararacter was promoted to Brigadier head of the British arm of UNIT.

The Brigadier then became a regular role for Courtney duing the Pertwee era.

When Pertwee departed as the Doctor, the UNIT stories were gradually phased out of the series with Courtney only appearing in two Tom Baker stories Robot & Terror of the Zygons.

Courtney made his return as the Brigadier in three stories in the 1980s in Mawdryn Undead (with Fifth Doctor Peter Davison), The Five Doctors & with Sylvester McCoy in Battlefield.

The Brigadier first got to appear with the Sixth Doctor Colin Baker in the 30th anniversary skit Dimensions In Time but it was not until the Big Finish audio story The Spectre of Lanyon Moor that the Brig had a proper adventure with the Sixth Doctor. Courtney also appeared as the Brigadier with the Eighth Doctor Paul McGann in another Big Finish story Minuet In Hell which had closed season 27.

Other Big Finish roles featuring Courtney as the Brigadier included two Doctor Who: Unbound adventures with David Warner as an alternative Third Doctor, the UNIT mini-series and The Companion Chronicles story Old Soldiers.

Nicholas Courtney also appeared as the Brigadier in the 1994 video drama Downtime and made his last on-screen appearance in The Sarah Jane Adventures story Enemy of the Bane which had closed season 2.

His roles outside of Doctor Who included episodes of The Saint, The Avengers & Doomwatch.

He died on February 22 2011 at the age of 81.

Last edited by Matt See; 23-02-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 24-02-2011, 05:46 AM

Nick Courtney Obituary video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHfj0GcqJ1g
Old 26-02-2011, 11:32 AM

From The Doctor Who News Page:
James Corden will return as Craig Owens in the Gareth Roberts episode. Roberts had previously written Craig's introductory episode The Lodger.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:32 AM

The Condemned:
The Condemned is an audio story that serves as Charley’s first story with the Sixth Doctor.
Written by Eddie Robson and released by Big Finish Productions in February 2008.
Charley had previously travelled with the Eighth Doctor but she accidentally parted ways with him in her previous adventure The Girl Who Never Was.
The Condemned firmly establishes that it was the Sixth Doctor who picks up Charley from where she was.
For the entirety of this adventure, Charley manages to keep secret from the Sixth Doctor that she would travel with a future version of himself.
Curiously enough The Condemned was released just three months before the introduction in the TV episode Silence In The Library of River Song, another companion who meets a past version of the Doctor to the one she had first met.
Also in The Condemned is Anna Hope. Anna Hope had previously appeared in the TV episodes New Earth & Gridlock playing cat nun Novice Hame. In The Condemned she plays the companion-like DI Patricia Menzies. Noticeably the first episode featured a cat, undoubtedly an in-joke.
A well done debut story for the Sixth Doctor/Charley combo even if they are apart from each other from most of this story.
Anna Hope portrays superbly DI Menzies. DI Menzies certainly is a much stronger character than Novice Hame.
The mystery about the character Sam (played by another TV series guest star Will Ash who had played Riley in 42) was very intriguing.
It is remarkable that Charley now travels with the Sixth Doctor as she would have to be careful around him without revealing his personal future.